Arashi aftermarket ebay F800 front brake rotors review/install

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by spencermarkd, Sep 6, 2019.

1. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was getting a pulsing feeling from my front brakes a while back, so I took a look at it and sure enough, I had either bent or slightly warped the rotor.

Looking through my options, I could either get an:

OEM Rotor: $466 each (bikebandit)
    Galfer wave rotor: $304, each, on sale (Revzilla)
    EBC had a rotor, but it was north of $200 each, can't find it now

Orrrrr

Chinesium ebay rotor, a pair of gold wave rotors from Arashi for $175.95 shipped.

I'm a cheap bastard so I took my chances on them, and honestly so far I'm thoroughly impressed. I also took the opportunity to put in some new EBC HH brake pads.

They were at my door within a week, nicely packaged in a black box. Open up the box and there's a sealed envelop with a copy of your order, a nice thank you letter, and some stickers. Under that is multiple layers of cut foam that the rotors are in.
    IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0102.JPG

Install was a breeze, pull wheel, unbolt old rotors, install new ones. I used an old front tire to set the wheel in so I wasn't resting it on the rotors. The rotor portion took maybe half an hour. Getting the stupid caliper pin out to replace the brake pads took much longer. Grumble grumble.

IRNE4306.JPG

Real happy with how they look, even happier with how they stop. We'll see how the longevity is, but I don't have any concerns. I would order them again even if they only last half as long as OEM, I'm still ahead.

(P.S. Also threw on a superlite rear sprocket, a DID gold vx chain, and an Ognibene dampened 15T countersprocket. The CS actually makes an audible difference in chain noise, pretty impressed.)

UIFC4871.JPG

NDMV8607.JPG
    JRWooden and cgguy09 like this.
  2. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
  3. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both of the Arashi rotors cost less than 1 of those rotors. Less that OEM, sure, but still double the cost of what I picked up. Glad they're workin for you though, always nice to have other options, especially if you're in Australia.
  4. cgguy09

cgguy09 Scientiæ Cedit Mare

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had a bad experience with Arashi?

I haven’t heard of any bad reviews yet. Just a bunch of people (like me) who opine on Chinese craftsmanship.

I’d love to hear other people’s experience... thanks for creating the thread.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  5. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention that is particularly neat about these rotors:

There's a leaf spring in the buttons

So no button rattle, at all. Still semi-floating but silent! Pretty cool, IMHO.
    morfic likes this.
  6. shuswap1

shuswap1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get out there and put some hard miles on them, will ya? You know....hard late braking, downhill from the-speed-of-light braking....then let us know. It would near to kill me to spend almost $600 on rotors for my F700s and as much as I dislike Com China, I'd hold my nose for a little bit while looking the other way.
    I hate getting ripped and at almost $200/rotor, that is a rip!!!
    cgguy09 and spencermarkd like this.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    I'll be watching ... I've been buying "lightly used" OEM rotors from eBay ... but could be swayed.........

I tried one set of Galfer rotors, but after only one set of semi-organic pads they were almost at the end of their useful life no more of them for me............... Running the same pads with the BMW OEM rotors showed only very modest wear per set of pads.... The BMW/OEM rotors would typically last 3 - 4 sets of (the same brand/type) pads.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  8. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That I think settles it for me, at 2yrs/16k miles I consider my F7GS fairly new still and the brake rattle doesn't fit that impression. Once I remember to ask why my pinch bolt was replaced when they swapped bearings I think I'll get those just for "better stopping a quieter bike."
  9. ROMAD

ROMAD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the thickness of the rotors?
  10. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll measure tomorrow, you know, for science and all :norton
  11. spencermarkd

spencermarkd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rotor thickness is a hair over 5mm, min thickness stamped on the rotor is 4.5mm, which from what I can google is oem specs.

Here's a closeup of the spring washers I was talking about a few posts back. Silent rotors are great.

IMG_0193[1].JPG
    morfic, shuswap1 and ROMAD like this.
  12. ROMAD

ROMAD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Iirc the OEM new spec is 5mm and the wear limit is 4.5 so it sounds like it's in line with the OEM specs. Thanks for checking. I'll be interested to hear how you like them as they wear in. It sure seems like they are a viable option.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  13. BillACK

BillACK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for the tip! Just ordered a set.
    spencermarkd likes this.
  14. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed a set of Arashi front and rear rotors (along with EBC HH pads) about 2 months ago. I've got ~2,000 miles on them and so far they're working just fine. I'd buy them again. MUCH cheaper than OEM or Galfer.. and they look pretty slick too.
    BSing likes this.
  15. BSing

BSing Noob

Oddometer:
    Installed today w/ EBC pads. Shiny!

Attached Files:

spencermarkd likes this.
  16. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    19" front ?
  17. BSing

BSing Noob

Oddometer:
    21"
  18. BSing

BSing Noob

Oddometer:
    After some test rides, one thing that seems different (aside from the new brake feel): when braking to a stop, from 10-0 or so I feel a little tire/road vibration in the bars and brake lever. Not bad, but it wasn't there before. I suspect I'm feeling the road a little more due to reduced float?