Arcadia: first overnighter on my R90, no R65, no G310GS

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by quietglow, Sep 9, 2021.

1. quietglow

quietglow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I travel a bunch in lots of different ways. We're long distance hikers, we've toured on bicycles, etc. We'd never done an overnighter on a bike. When I got my new '74 R90, I knew exactly where our first trip on it would be to: down route 66 from Chicago to McClean IL, home of Arcadia. I like video games, especially proper ones from the 80s, and this place is heaven for vintage video game (and pinball) lovers. I changed all the fluids on the R90 a couple days before, and set off for a shakedown ride over to Michigan. About 130 miles into the ride, I started to pull away at a green light and felt a heavy THUNK in the driveline. As I rolled to the side of the road, I heard a stead thunk thunk and knew that instead of my first overnighter on the bike, I'd gotten something even more exciting: my first breakdown on it! As if to celebrate this somber occasion, it started to rain. I limped a quarter mile down the road to a safe (but not sheltered spot) and called my wife. Then I spent the 90 minutes it took her to get to me with our van contemplating my choices in hobbies.

You can see the dry spot where I was sitting over there next to my helmet on the left. Picture the bike and me just staring at each other for an hour and a half in the rain.

PXL_20210903_204040021.jpg

The fact that I was wearing a Suzanne Vega tshirt makes this very funny to me.

PXL_20210903_204558594.jpg

I got home and with the help of the wonderful Airheads list quickly diagnosed the problem: three of four driveshaft bolts had backed out. Bummer. But no fear, the trip could still happen on an only slightly lesser machine: my R65. At least the first overnighter was going to be on an airhead. We packed up and were ready to roll at dawn the next morning. I jumped on the bike, hit the starter, and it went "rrrr click click click."***

At this point, I thought the world might be telling me it wasn't my weekend for an outing. But we had another option, and we had a reservation at Arcadia. So we moved our stuff over to the GS. This was the last resort, as a G310GS is no 2-up touring wonder. Or that's what I believed anyway. In fact, it turned out to be mostly fine.

So we finally got underway! (first route 66 sign we saw) L1004708.jpg

Lunch stop. Seconds after we pulled in a lunch riding group rolled up. Nice bikes!

L1004722.jpg

L1004728.jpg

Finally we got down to Arcadia. I didn't manage to snap a pic of it until it was dark.

L1004738.jpg

Many video games were played and beers drank. The next morning we walked some pre-dawn miles on Route 66. It felt like fall, finally.

L1004794.jpg

L1004797.jpg

We had plans at home, so we got back underway headed home pretty early.

L1004799.jpg

All in all, a wonderful trip (minus the broken bikes)! The GS was completely up to the task of carrying us along with our massively overpacked overnight stuff. I missed the R90s purr at speed. The GS is buzzy and causes more fatigue, for sure, but it got the job done.

***I had the battery disconnected on the R65 while doing some work and forgotten to reconnect it. I'd ridden it a few times since. The morning we were leaving was one start too many. On the upside, it was lucky it hadn't started or the weekend would have almost certainly also contained either my first roadside bike repair OR my first bike tow.
    xcsks, BrockEvan, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  2. MonzaCross

MonzaCross When life throws you a curve, lean into it

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Real adventures are memorable and this experience certainly qualifies!!
    quietglow likes this.
  3. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for sharing

drive shaft bolts i think are one time use

order some new ones

long story on how i heard this
  4. quietglow

quietglow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup, def one time use. New ones are going in this weekend.