Arclite Optics

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ArcliteOptics, Feb 14, 2020.

1. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    logonostress.png
    Welcome to the Arclite Optics vendor thread! Arclite Optics designs, manufactures and sells protective eyewear products for ADV and Off-Road Motorcycle use in addition to military, tactical, outdoor sports and cycling applications.

At Arclite we endlessly pursue the latest and greatest designs, technologies and materials to provide you with the best possible active eyewear protection. We incorporate patented and unique performance features into our products that keep you riding at your best and provide a more pleasurable experience. We feel strongly that good quality protective eyewear for adventure riders is important to rider performance, enjoyment and safety!

Our goal is to allow you to focus on your riding while protecting and enhancing your vision. You should be able to focus on your riding without pain under your helmet, eye fatigue, obstructed or blurred vision. Your eyewear should simply become part of you and let you perform optimally! We strive to give you that edge to ride better, last longer and stay safer on your bike.

We’re here to discuss Arclite Eyewear products and eyewear topics in general as they relate to Adventure Riding. Please don’t hesitate to post here with any comments, questions or discussions on Arclite products.

You can also find us at:

https://arcliteoptics.com/
  2. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    ADVRider member discounts? Group buys? :D

Do they work well with contact lenses?

Better or worse with polarized/non-polarized faceshields?

What cleaning products are recommended/not-recommended? Viso-Clean vs. (insert brandname) soap & water?

Hard case vs. soft case recommended? Shatter strength, i.e. how do they do with being an accidental seat cushion?

Are the same models good for both shooting sports and off-road motorcycling/cycling?
    KevinP65, joe a and Baroquenride like this.
  3. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, you asked for questions. Looks like you got plenty there.

I have only one : I have long eyelashes and most glasses quickly get smudged by my lashes. Some glasses work for me but most don't. Can you comment on how yours fit into the spectrum on this (rather esoteric) measurement?
  4. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    I will take a shot at answering some of your questions. I have a pair of the glasses with three of the different lens options.
    I don't wear contacts anymore "lasic in 2010", but I imagine that they would be fine with them.
    As I recall they don't offer a polarized option. Due to this I would think that you would be ok looking through a polarized sheild. In general I think you would be better off without the polarization just because how they can obscure digital displays.
    Use a soft cloth to clean. They come in a soft bag that you can use. Much like goggles or face shields you can scratch them if you get aggressive or have grit on the cloth.
    The lens is 2.5mm and will not shatter, you might bend it if you really abused them. The arms are very flexible and you would have to do something pretty harsh to hurt them. The way the lens is interchangeable in a worse case scenario you might detach an arm from the lens. The hinges are wide and strong.
    The optics are excellent for shooting. They even offer a yellow tint if you like for shooting. No distortion that I can see even when looking sideways through the lens, that really highlights the consistent quality of the lens.
    For driving I am liking the mirrored lens. It keeps the glare down and isn't so dark that you can't see inside the car.
    In the snow the amber lens is fantastic. I used it last week at work when we were out driving in wind blown snowy roads. My partner who was driving kept stopping because he could not see where the road went. I was thinking to myself that the road is right there duh, then I lifted the glasses and it all turned into a white mess. I was impressed.
    The photo chromatic lense is good if you are in and out a lot, or if you are using them as safety glasses. They get really dark in bright conditions, but turn clear when it gets dark. They do suffer a little from cold temps like all other lens' of this type.
    Styling is a bit flashy, and I sometimes feel like I have gone back to the Oakley Blade 80's. I have since realized that they are the shape they need to be to provide excellent protection for your eyes. Once they are on I forget about it and just enjoy them.
    ArcliteOptics likes this.
  5. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the questions! Chadzu is definitely on point with his answers but we'll add some info also.

"ADVRider member discounts? Group buys? :D"

This is something we'll definitely look into! I believe there is a formal process with the administrators for ADVRider, so we will want to make sure we follow their guidelines. We'll keep everyone posted on this. ​

"Do they work well with contact lenses?"

Yes, they do work well with contacts. One of the big reasons they work so well with contacts lenses is the high level of coverage and protection guards your eyes from wind and dust much more than typical sunglasses. This prevents your eyes from drying out as much and keeps a lot of dust and debris out fo your eyes. Many riders who have worn Arclites comment as to the extent that they would use these instead of goggles. They won't get you away from goggle all together, but you will find yourself wearing goggles a whole lot less!

If you do wear contacts, we recommend you also get our Rx nosepiece, which allows both the Ethos and the Ethos VLD to be compatible with the US Army's Universal Prescription Lens Carrier (UPLC). The UPLC is commercially available. This way you have a back up Rx solution that you can quickly install if you loose or have a problem with a contact. There are times when it really is not fun to deal with contact lens issues, so that back up Rx carrier is huge. ​

"Better or worse with polarized/non-polarized faceshields?"

Again, Chadzu is on point with this one. Polarized on top of polarized is problematic. Additionally when you have polarized sunglasses you have to deal with birefringence, a phenomenon that makes stress lines in other clear plastic appear as "rainbows". This can be pretty distracting. This gets worse with multiple polarized lenses on top of each other. Another consideration with polarized for riding is that polarized lenses cut the glare of some shinny surfaces that you may actually want to see. They can mask or hide things like water, ice or oil slicks on roads or trails. Some people like riding with polarized, some don't and sometimes it comes down to personal preference. If you have a polarized visor, we definitely don't recommend using polarized glasses as well. We currently do not offer polarized lenses, although we may in the future for different applications. ​

"What cleaning products are recommended/not-recommended? Viso-Clean vs. (insert brandname) soap & water?"

Any lens cleaning product in addition to soap and water will work just fine. Just wipe them with a micro-fiber cloth after applying the solution. The Arclite pouch and spare lens sleeves are micro-fiber and when kept clean, can be used for this. Don't use undiluted bleach, windex or other ammonia based cleaning products. Very diluted bleach and water solution is ok for disinfectant, just not strong bleach solutions. ​

"Hard case vs. soft case recommended? Shatter strength, i.e. how do they do with being an accidental seat cushion?"

You can sit on these all day long and you won't have a problem. They're awfully tough and pop back into their original shape. The alloy struts are super-elastic nickel-titanium. Arclites have been sat on, stepped on and even run over and remained serviceable. You don't need a hard case to protect these. The micro-fiber pouch will do fine. In terms of "Shatter strength" Arclite eyewear exceeds the Milspec for ballisitic protection.​

"Are the same models good for both shooting sports and off-road motorcycling/cycling?"

Yep, they all offer the same level of protection. It comes down to lens preference for the lighting conditions and targets. The high contrast yellow and vermillion lenses are popular with target shooters. ​
  6. JohnTz

JohnTz Never stop riding.

Oddometer:
    Do you offer a prescription option?
  7. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem you're referring to is what we call "Lash Crash". It is something we consider in the design of our products and there is always a trade off to having the lens and eyewear being low profile and preventing lash crash. We do have some solutions if you are prone to this problem. The nose piece on the VLD's is two position adjustable. They rotate and click into two positions to accommodate wide and narrow noses. The other solution is using an Rx nosepiece without the the Rx lens carrier insert. The Rx nosepiece is thicker and stands the lens farther off the nose. This is necessary to create space for the Rx insert behind the primary lens. You can always use this nosepiece without the Rx lens carrier. The Rx nosepiece is compatible with both the Ethos and the Ethos VLD.
  8. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Both the Ethos and Ethos VLD are compatible with the US Army's UPLC (Universal Prescription Lens Carrier). This is a small Rx frame that is filled with your Rx and snaps onto our Rx nosepiece. Our Rx nosepiece is compatible with both the Ethos and the Ethos VLD. The UPLC is commercially available to consumers at a number of online sources. Most optical labs will fill the UPLC with your Rx. Here's the link for our Rx nosepiece:

https://arcliteoptics.com/product/ethos-prescription-inserts/

Also, we do have some free samples of the UPLC that we can include with the Rx nosepiece. If you're interested, please reach out to us at info@arcliteoptics.com.
  9. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Now i can add "lash crash" to my list of ignominious achievements.
    eddyturn and ArcliteOptics like this.
  10. JohnTz

Oddometer:
    Excellent will email you today.
  11. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    Funny, after reading your question I tried to get my lashes to rub on the lens. Even being silly and pushing them tight against my face I could not get my lashes to rub on the lens.
  12. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are they worth the $$? Is there a noticeable performance or longevity upgrade vs something that costs $35?
  13. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, we're all built different. Ever read a helmet review that claims a perfect fit? Every helmet review should start with a subheading stating the reviewer's head shape so those with different shapes can just skip that review. And gloves? Is there any other garment with as many variables?
  14. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    ArcLite, thanks for the very extensive answers to my (our?) questions, I tried to ask ALL the questions. :D

As an Army vet, I'm very familiar with the UPLC and its limitations, i.e. the lens size is (IMO) small and does not allow full peripheral vision. That's just the reality of fitting them into the M40 gas mask, etc., so I'll stick with contacts, but I appreciate your offer to us.
  15. Chadzu

Chadzu Lost In Space

Oddometer:
    That is a question that only the individual can answer. Arclite is a premium product and is priced accordingly.
    When you hold a pair of the arclite glasses you just get that sense of "well, these are going to last forever". Arclite also backs them up with their warranty.
    Its also kind of nice to know that there is a guy who speaks English on the other end of the phone if you ever have a problem.
    $35 glasses probably work just fine, but after using a pair of really nice glasses its hard to go back.

I don't mean to sound like a shill for arclite. They are just new to me and I'm still excited about them.
    Baroquenride likes this.
  16. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hehe! Yeah, one gets intimately familiar with the UPLC and the suck factor of M40 in NBC training! Thank you for your service to our Country! We do have military/LE/veteran discounts FYI. Just send credentials to info@arcliteoptics.com and create an account/login on our site. We'll get you set up!
  17. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [When you hold a pair of the arclite glasses you just get that sense of "well, these are going to last forever".[/QUOTE]

twist (1).jpg
  18. JohnTz

Oddometer:
    Guys I ordered a set with the prescription holder and when I get them I will post a review. Stay tuned.
  19. ArcliteOptics

ArcliteOptics Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Definitely! Your spot on with that spuh. Head/face morphology plays into eyewear fit in a big way as well, especially when you throw helmets into the equation. We don't claim a universal fit with everyone either, but fortunately fitment problems with our product have been rare to this point.
  20. tmark1301cc

tmark1301cc Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did as well, made a request to have the holder included. Please?