Arctic Circle Dempster Dash

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Jan 9, 2005.

1. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Manx

Interest from BC....cool.

The annual run to Dawson is taking on an international flavor. No matter how you get there, what road you take, or how long it takes to get there, the Gruvers will be in Dawson, YT on the evening of June 16th. We will spend the day in and around Dawson on the 17th, with a buffet dinner at the Downtown hotel that evening. At midnight on the 17th the "posting of the Bikes" takes place on the street in front of the hotel.

See ya in Dawson!
  2. MANXMAN

MANXMAN Overlander

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to meeting you Gruvers. :freaky

What is the "posting of the bikes"?
  3. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    :wave :gerg
  4. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh it's the hook that gets people from around the world to show up in Dawson on the 17th of June each year and remain sober enough to find out.
  5. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

What AKRider said.
    You have to be there to win. :deal :deal
    OBTW..... Those midnight postings have become a real big deal.

"Where did you buy that cool D2D stickie?"
    "OH YOU CAN"T BUY THAT."
  6. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    So if you dont stay sober for the posting U gotta cum back the next year as well. Get many Kiwis there. Cheers ToddyI havnt seen any posts from my mate the Frier lately. Can you check and make sure he aint frozen to his sacred wenches.
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Hey squier
    still here just was bizzy with ace,s race car last week end. we were doing good then a little run in with the wall made for a late night. just got my engine block back from the machine shop now I will start on the trike this weekend. got all the harley front end parts so time to fire up the welder.
    later,Mike
  8. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.. I was checking the ferry from whittier to valdez on the official ferry site.. https://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html

The ferry does not run on Sunday, so it is either saturday or monday.. Not sure how that is going to impact the pre trip to Seward for those of you that were planning on it may want to head over Friday evening for that part of the run.

Depart:WHITTIERSaturday, June 1112:15 PM[​IMG] List of fares Arrive:VALDEZSaturday, June 116:00 PMVessel:M/V AuroraDuration:5hr, 45min
    :hide :spam
  9. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Also, for those going, here is the site for the Whittier Tunnel Schedule

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whittiertunnel/index.shtml

Their summer schedule is as of 2004, but probably wont' chance for 2005.. then again???

overall.. from Bear Valley/Portgage glacier to Whittier, the Tunnel is open on the half hours

so, if the ferry leaves at 12:15 PM, we need to be there a minimum of 1 hour prior to departure.

tunnel times closest to that are:
    9:30 - 9:45
    10:30-10:45
    11:30-11:45

Cost $ 12.00

:lurk :ricky
  10. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info Friar.
  11. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Frost here in Fiordland 2day mate. Finished work early , rode my old favorite VTR1000 Honda to Winton and picked up my brand new DR650 2005. I had forgotten how much fun the gravel roads are. This little bike really rocks, gotta get some practice in before heading to D2D. Cheers Toddy
  12. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Friar, (keeper of the sacred wrench) and his ferry schedule/cost update, a few local Gruvers have changed plans for the pre-Dempster Dash this June.
    Seems Governor Murkey and his merry gang of bean counters have decided to up the ante on the ferry ride from Whittier to Valdez. The price of this five hour fun float has been jacked up 30%. Factor in the Saturday departure, the tunnel open/shut deal, plus the need for an overpriced room in Valdisease... I say screw it. Have I mentioned that it costs $12.00 to take a bicycle on board yet we get nailed $66.00 for a scooter? Tain't right.
    Don't get me wrong.. the Whittier to Valdez ferry ride is way cool and if you havn't done it....you should.

I'm thinkin' we blast out of Anchortown Saturday morning (6/11) and head north on the Parks.. grab a right at C#ntwell and run the Denali. Spend Saturday night at Gracious House.
    Finish the dirt section then run into Tokerooney for Sunday night. (6/12)
    A leasurely Monday morning brekky at Fast Eddies and on up the Taylor to Dawson.
    That gives us the option of a side trip into Eagle and it still puts us into the Downtown at a decent time.
    Circle the wagons Monday night with Little Dick and gear and beer up for a Tuesday morning lift-off.
    Doooo the Dumpster and In-your-vick, as per our original plan.
    This plan might flush out a few local wannabees and ADV travelers.
    Whataya' think??? Talk 2 me.... Fite :wink: :wink:
  13. friar mike

Oddometer:
    well lets get a FU#$%@^^*&^$#$%^$%^&*ing saftey meeting going and get this set we(mrs friar and me ) almost got tickits. :cromag or we will just see you there.........................maybe
  14. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

You sound bitter. :eek1 :eek1 :eek1
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    its the rain:(: I think its time to take a trip and never leave the farm:stoned :jump
  16. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's the rain, huh? Last week it was the snow. Bike show is on Saturday and Sunday. How many dualsports in? Barb
  17. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Big Bird is taking a year off from the show circuit.
    Got it dirty last year. :huh :huh
  18. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Disregard previous communication.... Big Bird has once again been invited to the dance. Cover me, I'm goin' in. How bout it Hacky, Fastlane, Ace, Katoomer, Friar, Legion, K5, AKRider, others. I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
  19. BARB

BARB Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Was looking forward to a fair race but with big bird back in and stealing the show, I guess I'm in for another $40.00 beer mug. Barb
  20. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Barb......"Big Bird" is not the "shoe in" it used to be in its younger days.
    It got pretty graveled up on last year's "Spokannonball"
    Took on several Cassiar trophies that didn't wash off. :eek1 :eek1 :eek1