Arctic Circle Dempster Dash

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Fighter, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Right on,,,
    I also found on this site this information,,,,,,,,,

Km 465.0
    Dempster Highway
    Yukon/NWT Border

Rock quarrying. Expect flag persons, equipment on road, rock blasting, reduced speed, lane closures, pilot cars and delays up to 30 minutes.

Km 0.0
    Top of the World Highway
    Dawson City

Bridge construction at Yukon River. Expect equipment on road, reduced speed, lane closures and minor delays.

Km 70.0 - 78.0
    Top of the World Highway
    west of Dawson City

Road resurfacing. Expect flag persons, equipment on road, reduced speed, lane closures, pilot cars, loose gravel, extreme dusty conditions and delays up to 30 minutes.

Km 84.0 - 90.5
    Top of the World Highway
    west of Dawson City

Road resurfacing. Expect flag persons, equipment on road, reduced speed, lane closures, pilot cars, loose gravel, extreme dusty conditions and delays up to 30 minutes.
  2. RGott

RGott Old, Slow, Happy.

Oddometer:
    Is anyone planning to do do the Dempster AFTER the festivities in Dawson? I can't leave until tomorrow from Central California, and so won't make it to Dawson until probably Sat the 18th. If the weather is good, I would like to take a shot at Inuvik soon thereafter. Is anyone operating on a similar time frame?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    A17
    Fresno, CA
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I asked the place where I am getting a room about the Peel River crossing being closed and here is the latest and greatest from an Inuvik resident.

The Peel River crossing is closed due to some heavy drift wood that damaged the cable and ferry. They will be doing repairs to it all day today (10 June 2005) and tomorrow with the possibility of getting the ferry back in service Saturday night. That is the latest we have heard from the supervisor working on it.

ROCK ON,,, GRUVERS!!!!!
  4. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Ok boys, Fastlane, Fighter, Ace and Katoomer are heading north. The Dash has begun!! Remember, ride safe and stay within your limits. Remember....Stupid Hurts!

[​IMG]
  5. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    RGott, most of us are doing the Dempster before Dawson. Most of the gang will be in DC on Thursday the 16th. Ride safe.
  6. Jay Bird

Jay Bird Try'n to figure it out...

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Whitehorse, YT
    The weather has sucked so far as noted above, rode through the worst flooding in Calgary history a couple days ago and the rain is still ever present.
    Making a run tomorrow for Delta Junction to hit the end of the Alaska Highway and then not sure if I will do Dawson and the Dempster or try Purdoe Bay and the Dalton. I guess it all depends on the weather at this point which based on the current outlook is not favorable for the next week to 10 days.
    I will keep you posted here or will call Dawson Dick if I decide not to do Dawson.

Ride safe all.
  7. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Just been talking to Jbird at Tok he was heading to Dawson . Im at Tok to night and will head towards dawson in the morning , will catch you guys on the road some where or at Dawson. I will be going into Eagle, Cheers Toddy
  8. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    It starts tomorrow morning for a couple of us.
    Friar and the Gus's will be leaving the Valley for points north.

The Bike is packed, fueled and dirty. Yes that is right I never had the time to clean it, but Friars pretty Blue and White GS is sparkling. So I will be the pigpen of the DASH. FIGURES!

See you all in Dawson, and/or on the road.

Friar and I have placed in KL5A Kitten's pickup 3 tires, (2 front and one rear) for a GS.
    If you need one please contact her in Dawson. Someone should be able to assist here in obtaining that contact information.

All I ask is, if any of the tires are needed please replace them as soon as possible, when you return home.

Ride safe and keep a smile happening.

See you on the road!

Gusgus
  9. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Team 2 is ready for departure :ricky :ricky all waxed up :huh well my bike is :ilmostro me , Gus and gus are fueled and ready to ride meeting at 8:30 in Palmer at the noisey Goose for brake-fast then point them into the wind and go:wave :wave see the rest of you on the road and not along side it:nod

[​IMG]
  10. KL5A

KL5A Bugs are the new black

Oddometer:

Hey Friar I love the hi-tech polymer dufflebag!
  11. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    6 mil's nothing but the finist. you like my can of wax Iam bring it for Gus for when he gets a moment.:D :lol3

12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I really won't need the wax but thanks for the warm thought:up

Now the Chrome Axe, might come in Handy. Well enough of this stuff see you at Breakfast.
    I can't stand it,,, I just want to ride!!!
  13. BARB

BARB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey K5, is there still time to get a couple tires in the truck? Call me at the shop today and tell me where to bring them. Thanks, Barb 562-2324
  14. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Beers good at Downtown . cU 2 morow at 6pm Cheers Toddy
  15. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Eagle was nice, Hot , took off half ridin gear and 15km out of dawson got caught in storm. stayed in a shelter but was still wet , harry is here , quite day 2morrow then Inuvik. Bring it on. Hat Barb I will need those tyres for next trip, Boots OK but a bit damp, Cheers Toddy
  16. Jay Bird

Jay Bird Try'n to figure it out...

Oddometer:
    Well I did not make it to Dawson last night, and my plans have completely changed... I will not be attending the Dempster Dash or the Dawson foray.
    It looks like I need to head directly home one way or another to be with family do to an unexpected development with my wife’s mother.
    Have fun all, and at least I got to meet Toddy. Well and I did get to ride to Alaska.
  17. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Look for a Green Chevy Silverado, we'll try to have a "Chase Truck" sign on it somewhere. KL5A Kitten will be accompanied by the younger daughter.
    Sprockets and chain ordered and should be here as soon as UPS can get them to me.

See everyone in Dawson!
  18. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a call last night from Dave "fast" Lane. The crew was in Tok enjoying the sunshine but Dave has a small problem with his bike and needs parts.

Dave lost a fork seal on the Denali Hwy. He nees someone to get him replacement parts for a 95 1100 gs and bring them with them to Dawson.

To complicate things TMS is closed on Monday and Im leaving Tuesday morning.

So who is leaving Wednesday that would be willing to take some fork seals and fork oil along with them to Dawson? Dave's dad John will get the parts from TMS Tuesday (if they are in stock) and he just needs someone to pack them to Dawson.

Ok fellow Gruvers---step right up and help a fellow rider.

Call me at 786-1322 today or at 345-1877 this eveing to coordinate the rescue mission.

Thanks guys.

Dennis
  19. KL5A

Oddometer:
    Posted also over in the OTTH, but figured it can go here also....

OK here's the latest from the KL5A Kitten chase team.....
    We have tires for Toddy and some spares from GusGus for those who need them.
    I went by Hilti to pick up the swag for the Dawson celebration and the guy there didn't know what I was talking about. Did somebody else pick it up already? Or did Fastlane take it with him already? Anyone?

We leave Thursday AM or possibly Wed PM, depends on our mood I think, it's only 3-4 hours to Tok after all.

Hopefully somebody can help with the swag mystery
  20. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from the Internet Cafe in beautiful downtown Chicken, Alaska. Fastlane, ACE, Fighter, Hackymoto, CJ and yours truly (Katoomer) rolled into Chicken about 20 minutes ago. Fastlane picked up the swag and all of us are carrying an item or two. Gusgus and Friar went on ahead to Dawson.

Weathers great today, but went through some pretty heavy rain yesterday in Tok. Denali Hwy was great...nice and tacky.

Well better sign off....gotta schedule to keep you know. :evil

Ride safe and watch the RVs on the Taylor. See you in Dawson Thursday night.