Arctic circle from Fairbanks mileage?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by maxscycle, Nov 16, 2007.

1. maxscycle

maxscycle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh great wise and powerful OZ; How far is it from Fairbanks Ak to the "Arctic Circle sign" up the haul road. I am headed there in Aug and am concerned with fuel and pavement vs gravel. Thanks
    Max
  2. NextRide

NextRide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made that trip last year on an F650. My riding partner was on an R1100GS. I don't remember the exact milage, but we made a day trip out of it. Started in Fairbanks and returned that evening. We made plenty of stops for sightseeing and visiting with other bikers. No issues with fuel as you can refuel your bike and your belly at the Yukon River. Happy riding. It's a great trip, but look out for the skeeters!
  3. Drifter

Drifter Long timer

Oddometer:
    <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">According to my MAP, It's about 130-139 miles +-.

Before you actually make the trip, you might want to purchase a MAP!

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  4. kevrider

kevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1!! :D:D

well... don't know what you're riding and i can't remember the mileage, but i did this on my Transalp with no concerns. the TA has decent range but it's not exactly a high mileage champ. no worries.
  5. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Its 118 miles from the gas station on the Yukon river.
    [​IMG]
  6. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    From my travel log:

"7/6/07 11:48 PM Fairbanks, AK 61,940/4644 2.64 gal @ $8.09 gonna eat, and shove-off at midnight, 7/7/07, for the Arctic Circle!"

"3:32 PM N66 33.350' W150 48.661' ARCTIC CIRCLE! 62146/4850.7!"

There's a gas station on the edge of Fairbanks on the road to Yukon and north. That's where my odometer read 61,940. So it's 206 miles to the Arctic Circle.

Don't listen to nonsense about map-miles.

There's gas at Yukon River, and again at Coldfoot. If you do the ride, fill up in Fairbanks and Yukon River. If you're going as far as the sign that says you're at the circle, you might as well go to Coldfoot and Wiseman.

Also take bug spray, something for the bears, and at least three ways to fix flat tires. Read everything you can here about the road. No matter how hard you think that road is, it's harder.

Good luck!
  7. rad_dad

rad_dad Cool Father

Oddometer:
    Here is the BLM turnout
    You can get directions to or from it with the help of Oz.
    [​IMG]
  8. JMead11

JMead11 Crazy Bastard

Oddometer:
    It was about 80 miles from Fairbanks to the beginning of the Dalton. You can fill up in Fox, Alaska which is outside of Fairbanks as you go North.

[​IMG]

Once you get to the beginning of the Dalton, you will find this sign.

[​IMG]

It's about 56 miles of this.....

[​IMG]

Before you get to here, Yukon Crossing, where you can get gas. Arrive before 9:00 pm if you want gas here.

[​IMG]

Once you have a full tank of gas, you continue up the road...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's about another 60 miles till you get to the Arctic Circle....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you go this far...you may as well go up to Coldfoot, 60 miles further, and another place for fuel.....

[​IMG]

But then not far up the road is this.....

[​IMG]

it is a great thing to see the other side.....

[​IMG]

but if you're not careful...you'll end up here....like I did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck, but if you fill up every chance you get, you should have no trouble with fuel knowing where these stations are. If you go all the way, bring a bottle of gas extra for security.
  9. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
    If you look carefully at Mead's arctic circle picture, you'll notice that he brought a carpet with a line on it. Along with the piece of carpeting I'm willing to bet he brought a tour bus full of cruise-ship passengers. Then someone very kindly put the rug in front of the sign so that JMEAD could step over it, thereby officially crossing The Arctic Circle. Meanwhile, he had a chauffeur snap his photo.

I was just about to relieve myself against a tree at the Arctic Circle (which was my goal: ride to the arctic circle, take a whizz, and then ride home), when along came a tour bus. That's how I know about the rug.

I was very hesitant to strap a plastic can of gas to my bike, but I did it anyway. I suggest wrapping teflon tape over the threads and the vent hole because otherwise the nozzle might leak.
  10. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Bumping this thread for its awesome knowledge to the Arctic circle.
  11. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Correction on the above....
    That picture was taken at Hilltop, just north of Fox, and is showing that it's 118 miles to the Yukon river....not from the Yukon river to the circle.
  12. John Fabian

John Fabian Fabe

Oddometer:
    "It is 197 miles from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton Highway. If you travel to the Arctic Circle be sure to stop in at the Arctic Circle Visitor's Center and get your Arctic Circle Certificate."

This information from:

Meadow Bailey, APR
    Northern Region Information Officer
    Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities
    office (907) 451.2240
    cell (907) 378.2340
    http://dot.alaska.gov/

I thought I'd go to the source. - John
  13. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    fun fun fun

if your bike can do over 120 miles on a full tank, your golden .

my 4.5 gal bike did it fine. i carried an 1gal jug gas and never had to use it.

[​IMG]
  14. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump to get a little feedback on the Dalton. Some say it is the most treacherous road in Alaska, others say it isn't that bad. The pictures posted by JMead11 make it look like almost any other gravel road. I suspect one variable that determines a person impression of the Dalton is your background. If you are a sunny So-Cal rider who has never seen rain, let alone gravel, the road may be treacherous. As a dirt bike ride who has ridden all manner of surfaces this "looks" like a piece of cake, especially if I take it easy.

If NuttyNu is still around, are you serious about only 120 miles or did you mean 220 miles? I'll have 2 gallons in a gas can just in case but my bike also has a 4+ gallon tank and I average 53 mpg's.

I hope to leave in about six to eight weeks.

NC
  15. CommanderDave

CommanderDave Kick Ass Adventure Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeah....he meant 120 miles. You fill up in Fairbanks and head to Yukon River crossing. About 120 miles. Fill up. Then you go up to Arctic Circle, take your pic and head back down to Yukon River Crossing. Fill up and Then you head to Fairbanks. Piece of cake. You damn near can do it on a vespa scooter. I did it on a Goldwing with a buddy on a Road King. Have fun...dave
    NumberCruncher likes this.
  16. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    With your dirt experience it should be a walk in the park. There's more pavement at the south end now and the gravel surface is getting improved every year (except for what Mother Nature undoes).
    Unless you are merely interested in hitting the Arctic Circle to check it off your bucket list, you might consider going on up to Coldfoot. Just another 60 miles (Circle is at MP115, Coldfoot at MP175), almost all of which is paved (or... was paved at one time, much is now potholed asphalt, but a bike can easily dodge those). At the Circle, you're just getting into the Brooks Range foothills. By continuing north you get to enjoy more of the scenic portion of that highway. In good weather, continuing on up to Atigun Pass is just a quick 70 miles beyond Coldfoot. In hot weather (for an Alaskan) I've gone on up to Atigun Pass to cool off, then back down to Wiseman for a night's rest before going on up to Deadhorse.
    Even in the rain, that road isn't all that bad. The worst will be where DOT is doing maintenance. Before grading, the roadbed is soaked with water for several days to soften the surface. Then the graders come along and rearrange the bumps. The slop that is stirred up will cause a bike to wiggle around quite a bit. It helps if a few loaded semis pack it down first. Usually those stretches are only 6 to 10 miles long and then you're back on good, hard surface again.
    As far as fuel - my preference is to go out to Hilltop (Mile 5 on the Elliott Hwy) to fill up. Also a good place to eat. Lots of truckers stop there on their way north, some on their way back to Fairbanks. That's about 190 miles from the Arctic Circle.
  17. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    His post now makes more sense to me since I've been away for a few days. By 120 miles I was thinking riding Alaska in general where I think there are places you'll need a 200 mile range. But as you clarified, if one only wants to do Fairbanks to the circle, 120 does make sense.

NC

18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I think Top of The World Highway is more dangerous than the Dalton. Especially in the rain. It's quite twisty in places. Sometimes if I rains hard enough they close the road (TOTWH). We saw a motorhome in the rocks there, and a day later a Gold Wing with a trailer binned it. They closed the road.
    I came quite a cropper (in the rain) just after Chicken, but managed to stay on the 'road'...unhurt and bike just a bit scratched. Colleen managed to stay upright!