Are all Honda's 50 state legal?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Lear60man, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Cant get a straight answer from dealers. Found a good deal on a 2018 Africa Twin outside of California. But cant figure out if Honda makes a 50 state bike or a 49 state and California version or both. If they only make a 50 state version im gold.

Thanks in advance...getting back into motorcycles after a way too long break.
  2. 18415

18415 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If your buying from a dealer, I don’t believe you will have an issue, but if I were you, I would call the dealership to make sure they can process registration in California for you. Otherwise, you might face a few hoops with registration.
  3. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Its a dealer sale and thats a good question to ask. Im going through a nightmare on a 2005 MV Agusta I bought out of state with 3,000 miles on it. MV says all their imported bikes are 50 state bikes and have stickers to prove it. But if the sticker gets rubbed off, they wont sell you a replacement and the DMV doesnt care what the manufacturer says....they want a sticker. So lesson learned on that front.
  4. 18415

Oddometer:
    Is CA DMV requiring a VIN verification for the MV?
  5. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Dunno. Doing this through AAA. The VIN is a valid USA bike, checked that with an MV dealer before purchase. But we didnt get very far as they wanted to do a visual inspection first because of it being an out of state bike and no sticker, no soup for you. I have a plan B for the street bike....it will be registered in California.
  6. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Ladder106 (from the Transalp thread) new of a lady who had worked for the DMV out there that could get most any bike titled. I think he has her contact info.
  7. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    Hey there, whats the word? How is the ol girl treating ya? Hopefully plan B on the MV works tomorrow and Ihave another line on a 2018 TAAS tomorrow that is in Ca, so that will eliminate that snag.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Your old Transalp/Africa Twin is better than ever. Finely got it about where I want it. Not much that hasn't been touched on this one. :lol3
    [​IMG]
    Chillis likes this.
  9. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    I thought bikes bought out of state needed 7000 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase before they could be registered in Ca.
    Of course you can’t get a straight answer. I’m thinking the dealer knows perfectly well you can’t register it. He’s in the business of selling bikes. Not buying them back. You better make sure before sealing the deal.
    socalnative likes this.
  10. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    7,500 miles, but otherwise you're correct.
    socalnative likes this.
  11. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not all Honda's are 50 state legal. Check for the CA compliant sticker. It does not matter if you're buying it from a dealer.
  12. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and love

Oddometer:
    I believe that 2018 Africa Twins are engineered to meet Euro 4 specs, which are more stringent than CA emissions, I'm pretty sure.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news...missions-impossible-what-euro-4-really-means/
    "Euro 4 affects all new models introduced in 2016, and all new bikes from 2017. So, for example, the new Honda Africa Twin, new Suzuki GSX-R1000 and Yamaha MT-10 are all Euro 4 compliant, and by 2017 all existing new bikes will have to be too. Some models already are, because similar emissions requirements to Euro 4, including the evaporative emissions test, have been in force in California for several years."

And I reckon a dealer selling a motorcycle for street use in California that wasn't compliant with the emissions standard would get a visit from some pretty serious CARB types in short order.
    "Harley-Davidson to pay $12 mln fine over motorcycle emissions"

And finally, a lot of states have adopted CA standards so the likelihood that a 2018 bike won't pass muster here in CA is pretty slim, I reckon:

"Which states follow California emissions standards?"
    The states that have adopted the California standards are: Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year and later), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia."

I'd say you're OK. :thumb
  13. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Which ones arent? Id love to know just one that isnt 50 state legal.
  14. Lear60man

Lear60man Sleeping

Oddometer:
    And.........I found one in San Diego which is German for Whales Vagina. With the price of shipping and waiting another week or so it was a wash with the AZ bike. So i get to take a little choo-choo ride down in the morning and ride home. The MV passed inspection at AAA with flying colors today.

Foot Dragger, it doesnt matter if its a 50 state bike or not. In order for it to be registered in Ca, you must have the factory emissions sticker attached to the bike at the time of inspection. They dont care how much documentation you show them, no sticker, no soup for you.
  15. jmlmjmjm

jmlmjmjm Long timer

Oddometer:
    For someone who’s been here since ‘06 you apparently haven’t been paying attention to this subject.

These forums are chock full of CA compliant questions. I’m sure one or two of those countless posts referenced a Honda motorcycle that was not legal in CA.
  16. 18415

Oddometer:
    I can’t find one that isn’t CA legal. In stock form, they should all be legal in CA.
    CA Stu likes this.
  17. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    But you personally have no knowledge of whether all Honda's are 50 state legal?. Everything I can google says all Honda's are 50 state legal,maybe back in the day this was different but today they are 50 state legal for obvious reasons,it costs too much to make different bikes with different equipment.

These questions about DMV and bikes,pretty much every one could be resolved by a quick call to a DMV office rather then ask advice on ADV about registration,its like asking for dental advice,or what flea medicine is best. Sure you'll get answers of all sorts. Are those the kinds of answers you really want?
  18. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    Maybe. Not once has the DMV office in the town I live in even acted like they knew those stickers existed,never been asked about any sticker,they dont look. So it isnt as cut and dried on that as it could be. It varies,these DMV workers care so little about what they're doing, its just how it is.
  19. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Out of state vehicles need a VIN/emissions sticker and Federal sticker inspection to get a California title.

Emissions sticker has to read 'California compliant'....OR vehicle needs an odometer that shows 7500 miles or more, then even a 49 state sticker is OK.

All three VIN/Smog/Fed need to be easily read.

EPA adopted and use the California standards from the 2016 model year....so anything 2016 or later SHOULD have a California Compliant sticker.

You STILL need the sticker intact and readable and vehicle numbers (VIN/SMOG/ FED) still needs to be verified.

VIN needs to match the title.

Its not the verifiers job to locate the stickers. YOU have to find then and show them.

If you can't find a sticker assumption is it's gone.

Some are well hidden in plain sight. I've looked high and low for a sticker only to find it on the inside of a motorcycle side cover. Sometimes on the underneath outside of a fuel tank. Sometimes even on a fork stanchion...you just never know. Often under the seat.
  20. Foot dragger

Oddometer:
    It IS funny. Your bike can have the sticker,and you can have removed any and all smog equipment and run the bike on any poisonous leaded fuel you like.
    Just gotta have a sticker.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.