Are fender extenders needed

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dwit, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Dwit

Dwit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I pick up a 1250gsa this year and have been slow to add stuff. Mostly because it stays and a friends house out of state. I have always added these to my bikes but I was looking at a gs without one on it with 15k on it and the front case was perfect. I didn’t ask where it was ridden because I would have questioned his answer anyways. My Bike lives on very dirty asphalt with gravel and fire roads mixed in.
    Was this a pristine asphalt princess?
    Also I haven’t gotten this bike in mud yet but the rear shock seams to stay very clean. Any thoughts on rear mud guards?
    I put machineart on my ‘15rt and was happy with it. Would probably just go that route if I add on.
    dynorphyn likes this.
  2. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    My opinion is that the rear shock guards OEM are about perfect, very well thought out. Rode in pouring rain for 2 days (over 1000 miles) this May rear shock was still relatively clean.

You get in a deep enough mud puddle you will get some on crap there but no fender out there will stop everything.

I also think the front is fine. I don't care what the front engine plate looks like though.

Now as you are probably aware, check for compatibility of TIRES and skidplates before buying, you can limit yourself substantially, and what is the point of a mud guard if you can't run your desired tire :)

As examples, on GSA cannot run Avant front guard with BMW Enduro (large) plate.

And on GSA cannot run rear MAM mudsling with TKC80 or TKC70 and K60 Scout are inconsistent but not recommended.

Also rear mudsling limits choice of aftermarket pannier racks.

TR
  3. atwoodtja

atwoodtja Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't miss having a rear mudguard, but I definitely prefer having a front fender extender. Bike stays so much cleaner overall.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  4. adam71

adam71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have machineart moto for the front fender extender and rear mudsling on my '16 GSA and they kick ass. I'd imagine the stuff for the 1250's would be just as good.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod, and identical to the Wetheads.
    adam71 likes this.
  6. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    The MAM front extender is worth it to keep crude and general road grime from marring your engine front.
    Rear OEM is fine unless you’re sling mud maybe....
  7. Motorman

Motorman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Always installed MAM products on my bikes (GSA and RT) and have had good luck with them (front & rear).