Are Honda NT650 Hawk Engines compatible with Transalp bikes...!?!?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Ricardo Kuhn, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    SAnta Mension on a tread yesterday that he was looking for a CRash Honda NT650Hawk to transplant the engine to his transalp, is that the case...!?!?

are they compatible...!?!?

what else is compatible, regulators, rectifiers carburators...what..!?!?

the reason why I ask is because today I got a bunch of hawk part mostlly in pristine shape (some of them brand new including a pristine engine (less than a 1000 milles old), carbs, many electrics, calipers, etc) and I'm ready to place them on E-bay (since Hawks don't make for great ADVenture bikes..

but if some parts are compatible, maybe I place them on the fleamarket here first and then sell on e-bay what ever is left...

ps: No matter what Santa has first Bits on the engine (less than a 1000 milles) and anything else for that matter

thanks In advance, since I don't like E-bay much. but maybe I can also help somebody in need

How about AScot 500 Heads,, they are soppose to be the Hot ticky for the hawks (don't ask me why)...!?!

or even better Megacycle maps, yes the High performance, also bran new never even install
  2. davidmc

davidmc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know some folks have installed the Hawk engine into the Transalp with success. Unfortunately I am not aware of the technical challenges...
  3. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    If my memory is correct, there is one "extra" engine mount on the NT engine that is not used on the TA. No big deal unless is gets in the way of the coolant reservior or shock or something else. I guess you could always remove it.

Also, I think the ignition system is different. The TA uses 2 crank sensors and the NT only 1. The CDI boxes would probably have to be changed to the NT ones and wiring would have to be sorted. Not impossible but maybe expensive if you do it wrong and fry a sensor or CDI box.

You'd be smart to use the NT carbs. The TA pipe should bolt up but dunno about exhaust port sizes and how this would work with the TA pipe. If the NT pipe was the same bend, it would probably be better to use that. Cooling and hoses are, I think, the same.

Dunno about the NT powerband. I like the way the TA just pulls and pulls off-road. I'm too large to ride a NT so I don't know how the engine works.

All that being said, I might be interested if Santa passes, so put me in line.

Also would like to know how you came to have the parts? Bike in accident?? etc. Did the bike sit in a salvage yard? 1000 mi. is both good and bad depending on what happened during the time the bike sat idle.

Thanks,
    Ray Stedronsky
    Davis, CA
  4. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Wow that is kind of painless, so they are the same....:scratch
    well I have all the spare CDI boxes, but yes it can get kind of tricky if you don't know what you are doing (I'm scare shitless of electronics)
    I have a set of carb that look like they were never even install, the guy drain them completlly so all the seal, rubber and bowl look brand new, well they were less than a thousend milles old.

[​IMG]

you see they are freaking perfect

[​IMG]
    Is being since forever that I rode a Transalp, in fact I used to have one many years ago for a few months, but sincerlly I think the hawk is far more peppy and for sure a torque moster,, second gear out of the stop light two up no problem kind of torque, pretty freaking fenomenal...

but then again the Hawk is kind of Light the transalp are kind of miss Piggy..
    I let you know what happend, I'm very temped to make a bike for my self out of all the part i got but then again I have way to many projects as we speack, so may as well sell the stuff to a good home
    Ray Nope thet bike was never on a accident according to the person (Total Engine Geek and overall really nice guy)that sold me the parts, he was just one of this crazy Hawk coolectors trying to make his bikes into NT31 (whatever the HRC number are for the super cool race bike) but never got around the port and build the ends the way he want them..

I just got lucky I was looking for some parts for MaggieLulu's bike and I found a deal I was not able to resist..
    I keep you posted, I may keep the engine and chassis and build my self a little Mini-tiny-Motard hawk
  5. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    How about a Africa twin engine into a Hawk or a transalp for that matter...!?!?

we got taking about engine swap and he mension that in the old days everybody was looking for a africa twin engine to mount it on the hawk, that will be kinf of fun even if the africa twins are almost impossible to find..

what about the Ascot's head, about 10 year ago the were legendary in the AFM formula twins, but I can not understand how being from a 500CC bike can provide better performance than a 650CC head

maybe they are more Torque focus..:scratch

what is the deal...!?!?

anyway I'm totally in love with maggie's Hawk, the engine is incredible and just the whole bike is so pretty to look at you can not do anything but fall in love with them..
  6. atgreg

atgreg Africatwinarama

Oddometer:
    Yes, Africa twin engines fit into a hawk, I dont know the specifics but it has been done. Also much of the hawk hot up gear fits the AT engine, cams, big valves etc, ive been looking into this lately, Ive been told that the AT750 head is the same as the GT650 head, the Wiseco high comp +3mm piston kit for the hawk fits into an AT engine and makes it + 1mm and bumps the compression, Ive done this to my At engine, had to machine the skirts of the pistons a bit due to the AT's longer stroke. there are +2mm and +6mm OS kits for the AT available in europe

see http://hordpower.com/ and http://www.hawkgtforum.com/
  7. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Oh wow sound like I stuble into a Gold Mine and even better then ingots are all ready pack and ready to carry.

I got a extra Complete top end, pretty much brand new
    [​IMG]

and a box (actually Two) with "Just a few" electronic controlers.
    [​IMG]

Mister E-bay here we come...
  8. panthercity

panthercity Cap'n Crunch

Oddometer:
    You might want to post that info at Hawk GT
  9. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    PM sent:clap
  10. O'Hooligan

O'Hooligan Ken Dodd's dads dogs dead

Oddometer:
    Ricardo, I seem to remember a few years ago someone in Mill Valley was swapping out TA motors with the Hawk. Someone in the Mill Valley area may know who it was.