Are my suspension settings correct? (first time adjusting 1190 ADV R)

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by ADVraider, Feb 3, 2020.

1. ADVraider

ADVraider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About me:

Height: 6'2 / 1.88m
    Weight: 220-230 lbs / 100kg
    Primary ride: 80% on-road sport twisties riding / 20% offroad

My thinking is to put all my suspension settings in SPORT, is that correct? Is there anything I'm missing in this setup approach?

Thanks!

upload_2020-2-3_16-7-46.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-8-1.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-8-13.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-8-29.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-8-48.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-9-7.png

upload_2020-2-3_16-9-21.png
  2. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    I can hear it now... Those settings are for someone that weighs in at 80kg. You need to lose some weight or installed higher weight springs.

Start with setting the sag. After you get the sag correct you can monkey with preload/rebound and compression.

Keep records and make small adjustments and document until you hit the sweet spot.
    Lewilewi and ADVraider like this.
  3. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + 1 on keeping records and each time you adjust something
    ADVraider likes this.
  4. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll try to get someone to help me with setting the sag (not sure what it is and how to do it exactly). So is it completely unacceptable to set the suspension settings first?
    LandofEnchantment likes this.
  5. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im no suspension expert, but I think you will find you need more preload in the rear shock than what the manual is saying. Im lighter than you and have a tail rack, sometimes a top box, pannier mounts and using less preload and damping in the fork than the manual calls for and about the same as the manual calls for for the rear in order to get the front and back working the same and in the right position. Even more preload and damping in the rear with boxes on. Ortherwise the rear sags down like a chopper resulting in speed wobbles and rear tire wear and uneven suspension movement.

There are some good youtube videos on setting sag. But having a second person is the best method so you can get your weight on the bike while the other person measures.
    Lewilewi and ADVraider like this.
  6. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    I can hear it too..
    ADVraider likes this.
  7. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Set rider sags to 60mm front and rear before you do any thing..

There's all you need to know on this forum and you tube
    kokos79 and ADVraider like this.
  8. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    Finally got to adjust my suspension, set it up mostly on 'Sport'. Is this the right setting to take offroad too? Or are 'Comfort'/'Standard more suited?
  9. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    Don't know if there is a recommended setting but I prefer standard or comfort. Standard if a little more aggressive. I don't need to be beat up will off tarmac. ;)
    rsl47m and ADVraider like this.
  10. MTingle

MTingle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This might be a stupid question, but per the screen shot above it says 7 clicks or 7 turns. Is that 7 clicks or turns from the very lowest setting(meaning the adjuster is turned all the way to the left)?
  11. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    Yes, every setting laid out above is from the extreme clockwise or counterclockwise
  12. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    Remember them clicker charts are just a guide for the less knowledgeable..

This is how I'd start getting a good set up if I was a new to suspension, it helps hugely with the basic learning curve and takes a while. So set aside a whole afternoon,

Once you understand these principle youl just know in future it's easy.

Use this to find YOUR personal base setting, for your riding conditions

Once your rider sags are correct, and only once there correct make a note of your base damping settings go to your favorite trail and have the afternoon spare. With a note pad. make comp and rebound as soft as possible..

Now ride carefully

Have a slow gentle ride up your chosen track,

Bike will feel plush, bouncy and may bottom out, think as your riding how bouncy things are and how springs are compressing on bumps... possible write you thoughts and feeling, one note under the fork heading one under the shock...

Do 1 end at a time...and only either comp or rebound at a time

FORK. ONLY..

Rebound, ....at a stand still then riding gently compress hard, think how quick the triple trees are bouncing back towards you, are they bouncing trying to settle at the top of their stroke, if at the top of their stroke there bouncing before they settle then there traveling to fast on the up stroke and need more damping, adjust two clicks at a time till the bouncing stops, you dont want bouncing..once your happy there moving to the top of there stroke make note of how many clicks it is, now re set it to soft, remember that bouncy fork feeling and how fast them trees bounce back...that's rebound..

Compression,

Start fully soft, some people use zip ties to see how much travel their useing, I dont any more, now your forks may be bottoming out, your probly feeling alot of fork dive, this is compression, go back down the trail focusing only on this soft fork dive to get a feel for what it is and how it feels.

No assuming you dont know how to hard feels, set comp damping to fully hard, have a ride, now you should feel jarring through the steering, like rideing a non suspension bicycle off rd, now adjust the clicker from full hard were its jars two clicks at a time between each ride... eventually things will start getting pusher, till eventually your getting very fast fork dive on each bump, go back to hard then slowly find your happy area of your fork damping...make note,

Now adjust your rebound to your noted sweet spot you found, congratulations you just found a good BASE its personal to you, keep note of it..

Now you understand how compression and rebound feel you can tweak your forks as you ride, as you now will understand how each clicker makes the bike bounce or jar you

Not leave your forks set at your base while you do your shock,

Shock.
    Similar to fork, make a note of were your set currently,

Set fast and slow compression fully soft and rebound.

Start with rebound, when your seated does your bike bounce your arse up after a bump, this is rebound, you want to loose that bouncy feeling 2 click at a time...ride adjust ride adjust, ride adjust..once happy make note them go fully soft to set your high speed comp

Rear compression

High speed... imagine hitting a rock or kerb, landing a jump, your shock would move through its stroke very fast, that's high speed compression, the ability to absorb hard fast impacts, adjust 1/4 turn at a time, try and find a suitable place to find high impact bump.. once set leave it as you do the slow speed..

Slow speed compression damping is just normal riding along a trail or rd, go too soft then too hard so you get the bouncy and too hard the jarring feeling at each end of the turn 1/4 turn at a time, once happy your not jarring or bouncing too much, you can proberbly understand and tweak more, as now you will under stand how each moves

Now you have your base for your terrain
    Gemel, Johnnyadv43, ADVraider and 2 others like this.
  13. ADVraider

Oddometer:
    This is a great explanation, thank you! Will use this to adjust my suspension further...