Are Touring Riders Considered Adventure Riders?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Retired Army 2008, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Retired Army 2008

Retired Army 2008 Army Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Just curious to the thoughts here, I currently ride a 2013 Street Glide that's set up for touring / Camping, but I'm not sure that I would classify myself as an Adventure Rider, damn bike is too big to go off the beaten path like some of you do. So would touring riders be actually considered as adventure riders?

For the record, I would love to get a BMW, but I cannot just get comfortable with the riding position, as my back is more suited for the Barco Lounger styles. Just sayin!
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    Do you feel as though you are on an adventure when you ride and camp?

How far must one go off pavement for it to qualify as an "adventure" to the masses?

I would not worry about what anyone else tells you; if you are adventuring, it's your own state of mind that lets you know it.
    Bluebone, WearyTraveler, BSSD and 8 others like this.
  3. Tim_Tom

Tim_Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    What he said. Adventure is different for each rider. If you are having fun exploring I think that's all that matters.
    WearyTraveler and Aj Mick like this.
  4. SUVslayer

SUVslayer Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me, "adventure" means going outside your comfort zone and doing something the outcome of which is uncertain. When in a foreign country, going to the grocery store can be an adventure, but that wouldn't much count at home. In other words, I'd say there's an element of risk involved, and the willingness to take what comes and overcome any adversity. But what counts as risk is highly subjective.
    WearyTraveler likes this.
  5. Retired Army 2008

Oddometer:
    Oh I rarely concern myself with what people think of me...lol Id just like to go to different places than just "Harley" events. tired of the masses just getting bombed and acting like morons... :) Just a little too old (physically banged up) to be running out in the wilds :) I'm always outside of my comfort zone ;) figured i would show up at a Goldwing riders event with my Harley... lol
  6. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Day tripper

Oddometer:
    Well,the other day,there I was in one of the local motorbike shop's looking to buy some Oxford heated grip's.
    The shop keeper told me,"The heated grip's come in 4 styles, sport,commuter,adventure or touring".
    Mrs Dixiethedog looked at me and said,"Well,we tour". "Hmm..." I said,"But our trip's are always an adventure". lol.
    So the shop keeper,Mrs D and myself pondered for a few minute's.
    I then asked what the difference was in style's? It's the pattern on the rubber handlebar grip's I was told.
    So,to cut a long story short.
    We chose the Oxford premium touring heated grip's.:D
    For when we go on one of our adventure's. :rofl
    On our Hayabusa sport bike.:D
    That I also commute on.:D
    That makes me a sporty commuting adventurous tourer.:rofl
  7. Retired Army 2008

Oddometer:
    There ya go Dixie...:jack
  8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some ride them most adventurously. [​IMG]

I haven't taken mine down things that rough. [​IMG]
    Though you should see the road coming up the hill behind me. I'd missed a "Harley appropriate" work around and just rode up with the adv bikes.

Anyhow, it's up to you to judge how adventurous you are being while riding. I don't think you've anything to apologize. Each ride can be a worthy adventure in and of itself.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    My kids consider an adventure as going to any place you've never been before. Pavement, gravel, air, water.... And I'd agree to that.

My 13 yr old daughter and I just completed a Lake Huron loop on an FJR and saw dirt at the campsites. It was a wonderful 4 day trek and an awesome adventure for us.
    GypsyWriter likes this.
  10. toowheelsgood

toowheelsgood Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adventure is just another word for poor planning.
  11. MHaz01

MHaz01 I Used To Be Faster

Oddometer:
    It's an adventure if you think it's an adventure. Off road, on road, whatever. If you are having fun doing it, it's an adventure.

Heck, for some of us, getting up each new day is an adventure.
    nbsdave likes this.
  12. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate to sound geezerish, but I think I can remember a time when I just had a bike. Same with all my friends. Sometimes it was my tourer. Sometimes it was my cruiser. It was most often my commuter. (no car). Sometimes it was my dirt bike (at least for fire roads & some gravel). I certainly had many adventures on it. I guess it must have been an Adventure bike!
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep.

Here's a nice older article about just that, riding what you had. With pictures from "back in the day".

http://thekneeslider.com/universal-adventure-motorcycles-nothing-special-and-thats-the-whole-point/
  14. Maky

Maky Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's always an adventure, especially riding in Metro Detroit. :p3rry
  15. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adventure!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Cakeeater

Cakeeater Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might be surprised how many roads/trails you can chug along on your Street Glide. Above pictures tell the tale.....

And of course it's an adventure to stay on the roads! It's the people you meet that are the adventure for me, not necessarily the technical level of the ride. Go solo and you'll meet so many interesting types.

Cakeeater
  17. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Any trip can be and adventure, Somedays just going to the grocery store is an adventure and other days going across the state is not.
    It is up to you.
    Pick a direction and GO!
  18. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    To me adventure is about going to places you've not been before - travelling that road that you've travelled less.

Put another way, for me, if all you ever do is the same old dirt track over and over again, or ride the same road time and time again - that's not an adventure. There's nothing unknown or unexpected down that road.

But go looking for new experiences? That's adventure.
  19. atomicalex

atomicalex silly aluminium boxes Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    You seem to get it. :nod
    dixiethedog likes this.
  20. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    who cares? I certainly would not buy a bike based on what people think of it or me.