Are you a motorcyclist or a biker?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by levain, Oct 21, 2009.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Apparently some motorcyclists love to prejudge too?

I guess another reason to want to be a "motorbiker". Seems I don't want to be associated exclusively with either end fringe of the given choices, motorcyclist or biker.

I think that is my new thing - being a motorbiker.
  2. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    A motorcyclist is a biker than owns more than one motorcycle. If it's more than ten, it's a collector.
  3. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's weird how old threads get bumped sometimes.

Anyway, I don't think of myself as either a biker or a motorcyclist. I ride motorbikes, that's it. It's a bit odd to define yourself by your hobbies. Like if someone says they play baseball, that's fine, but if someone says they're a baseball player, it's kinda weird, isn't it? Or a bit childish, like if you call yourself a gamer or a skater, you've decided that that is your identity.

There are some negative qualities I associate with the term biker, but I don't really feel strongly against the word either. I've been called a biker by friends or people at work, but they just think "biker" is the term to use, and I don't mind. I don't recall any riding friends ever using the term biker or motorcyclist to refer to me or anyone else. He "rides" or "rides bikes" is the usual phrase.

Note: I'm not American, so maybe we just use English differently.
  4. markk53

Oddometer:
    More than 50 and they're Jay Leno...
  5. markk53

Oddometer:
    You wanna be a motorbiker too? That's my new thing. Motorbiker - bit of each.
  6. pepelopez

pepelopez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it all depends on the "ol lady" if she's sporten a black miniskirt and knee boots= biker,,,a klim jacket=a motorcyclist
    brgsprint and dharmadan like this.
  7. Norty01

Norty01 Occupant

Oddometer:
    I used to get this question during BRC class. I always responded with:
    A biker gets caught in the rain.
    A motorcyclist leaves in the rain...
    RotesHengst, dharmadan, Edoz and 3 others like this.
  8. markk53

Oddometer:
    Again, more reinforcement for being a motorbiker... :D
    dharmadan likes this.
  9. Dtx915

Dtx915 Long timer

Oddometer:
    some of us forgot where we parked LOL
    BywayMan likes this.
  10. SenorCollin

SenorCollin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was thinking "All the Touratech, All the Time"

It looks like Cave Creek being a biker spot isn't exactly new? Sonny Barger, a bigshot Hells Angel that started the massive Oakland Charter and led it for a long time, moved to Cave Creek in the 90s and patched over another long time MC to start a H.A. charter out there. Definitely would put a spotlight on that area for both the wannabes and the real deal biker crowd. I thought this article was a good read on the AZ outlaw biker scene: https://www.phoenixmag.com/2018/02/21/open-road/ but this kinda stuff interests me even though I don't romanticize the whole outlaw biker thing. I've never found much use for rules or "brotherhood" or any of the other nonsense they're into, I just like motorcycles.

And if you're interested in doing a build, I suspect the near future would be a good time. Lots of weekend warriors are probably going to be tight on cash and looking to liquidate their bikes that they barely ride. Just don't become one of the idiots that think their Harley is somehow superior to what are clearly better performing bikes... I love my Harley, but I can't stand those people. My 1090 is clearly a much better bike that costs less new, and even on knobbies it will outperform my upgraded Dyna.
    dharmadan and Kamloopsrider like this.
  11. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist. Nobody has ever called me a biker or (most likely) ever thought of me as a "biker" and I would be insulted if they did. The only "leathers" I've ever worn caused me to look more like a power ranger than a pirate (Arrr matey). I have been referred to as a "rider" more often than not by non motorcyclists eg. (co-workers, friends, family)
    dharmadan likes this.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    You sure you don't want to be one of us motorbikers? No identity what so ever other than that printed name.
    dharmadan likes this.
  13. fonztheyeti

fonztheyeti king of all i survey

Oddometer:
    what if riding is the lifestyle? motorbiker?
    dharmadan likes this.
  14. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorbiker just doesn't even sound like a real word. I own and ride two motorcycles! I would never call a motorcycle a bike. I own a bike as well, it has pedals, front and rear suspension, and even disk brakes but when I ride it I don't want to be called a "biker" either, cyclist would be more fitting. If I say i'm going for a bike ride, that means I'm getting the bicycle out of garage and going for a workout somewhere. If you call your motorcycle a bike, you probably have fringe on your jacket or wear a vest and dress like a pirate.
    dharmadan and liberpolly like this.
  15. markk53

Oddometer:
    I know it doesn't even sound like a real word - it probably isn't. That's kind of the plan - I'm not associating with either motorcyclists or bikers, but rather both combined. Take the best of both worlds and have a sense of humor about it. Oddly enough, based on your last statement, I mix the terms bike and motorcycle pretty much at random. I also ride a bicycle and call it a bike too. So I sow a little confusion... not a big deal.

Fact is the term bicycle indicates two wheels, says nothing about a motor or pedals. So really a nondescript term beyond the single track two wheel layout. I'd guess back in the early days the bicycle, which didn't have pedals originally, got pedals. Then some got engines - still had the pedals, a motorized bicycle, term shorted to motorcycle. Eventually pedals disappeared - still on mopeds, a short term for a motorized pedal bicycle maybe?

Then there is the fact that I ride both motorized bicycles and pedal bicycles...

So you see motorbiker... :scratch who cares! :lol2
    dharmadan likes this.
  16. fonztheyeti

Oddometer:
    Actually I call it a ducati or a gs depending on which one I'm referring to if I'm talking about mine. If I'm speaking of motorbikes in general I usually say "motorbike". I'm pretty sure that word is as real as anything else.

no fringe, no pirate costume, but if you're prone to such sweeping speculation you're probably pretty closed minded ;)
    dharmadan likes this.
  17. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I ride/own/owned/build dirt bikes, sport bikes, cafe's, vintage UJM's, dual sports and choppers.

I love bikes and I love riding them.

IDGAF what somebody in the parking lot calls me, as long my my bikes run good.
  18. fonztheyeti

Oddometer:
    That's it right there!
    shinyribs and dharmadan like this.
  19. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    So... a rider?
    dharmadan likes this.
  20. markk53

Oddometer:
    With the current weather conditions here and a funky knee still coming around, not as much as I'd like, but school online ends tomorrow and going out Saturday on the one with an engine, pulling the one off the hooks with pedals, and plan to ride both a fair amount this summer. We had freezing temperatures with highs in the 40s a week or so ago, record lows.

Not as much rider as I want to be.