Are you a motorcyclist or a biker?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by levain, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    There's no mold to contain me.
    I ride when I want. Don't prefer the rain, but am not afraid of it.
    I guess I'm more of a motor-tourist. I just like to get out and see what's out there. I take the long way home whenever I can, especially when somewhere new. There's just so much out there. My preferred method is the bike. But if that doesn't work out, I'm still goin'.
    I don't consider myself a 'biker' that word brings up the image of a wanna-be hard-ass. No time for that. I live life to enjoy it. Not in an attempt to prove something to others.
    Favorite ride, the Ducati.
    Favorite jacket, the one designed for the motorcyclist.
    Boots? M/C.
    Pants? For the rider.
    Do I do "bike-nights"? Uh...no.
    Ride-on, my brethren...ride on.
  2. roadhamr

roadhamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i hear ya with what the word conjures up but it is time for the real bikers to step forward, that is all of us. all of us that ride, not pose. those of us that love every little annoying part of this thing we have become part of. the word has images it conjures up but those images are not the reality they are merely perception and we can take the word back. we will call them posers, accessorizers, lifestylists. but never call them bikers.
  3. ccrat

ccrat Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle enthusiast.
  4. oldswimr

oldswimr Flatlander

Oddometer:
    I met some friends at a local eatery to help plan their 'Biker Sunday' at their church coming up in April. It was only about 45 degees out with no rain, so for me it was a no-brainer. Take the Valk. When I got there, I offhandedly noticed a lack of motorcycles, but figured i was the fist one of the group to arrive.
    Went inside, and lo- there they were. One friend looked surprised to see me in my chaps, and her husband said someting I didn't catch. A third friend looked at me with a grin and said, "He's a motorcyclist, we're just bikers.."
    You people confuse me....
  5. wickit

wickit Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    uh...im a Biker....no a Motorcyclist....no a Rider....FK....I just like ridng all motorcycles but don't want to give up my other hobbies. So I'm a hobbiest maybe? (Is that a word?) My buds call me an a-hole....so I guess I'm an a-hole hobbiest.....then guys who ride with me call me crazy...and so in reality I'm a ??????? :rofl :rofl :rofl
  6. col klink

col klink the str8n'r

Oddometer:
    Personaly I don't like the negative connotations associated with the term 'biker' and I certainly don't lump myself in that crowd.
    Conjuring images of rowdy, unruly , loud str8 pipes, black leather , chaps and chain wallets, skull face masks. and puddin bowls for helmets. While there are lots of hardcore bikers, there is also a certain element of pretenders amongst the bikers.
    Honestly most of the bikers I know are genuinely very good people. I have a number of customers in that crowd.

The term 'motorcyclist' sounds so prim and propper, and painfully careful, kinda noidly, almost geek level. The term suggests very tame, sedate riding to me. How do you spell slow?
    I have had 'Motorcyclists' tell me they have never crashed. Or they just had their first tip over after twenty years of riding. Sounds boring.

I don't fit either image,
    Riders ride, racers race, and posers look at their reflections in their chrome while they are polishing.

I am going ridin.
  7. Benjamin M

Benjamin M Back to Mono

Oddometer:
    I ride all year round, rain or shine, I wear the gear, I clean my bike.

I don't have an ego. Where do I fit?:1drink
  8. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Iam a motorcyclist. I do nt live the leather lifestyle, drink or ride in groups as a rule. I wear textile protective ATGATT with a full face. I do not ike cruiser or lots of chrome. I ride further than the corner bar or local restaurant for mtgs. MOst people do not even know I ride unless it comes up in conversation (it usually does). I refer to Harley dealerships as costume shops. I coulc go on but fear for my life. Oh, I am not a bad ass and have been seen crying in public.
  9. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're a lumberjack and you're okay... :rofl
  10. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    VERY WELL SAID! intelligent and well thought. i am a biker but i have always thought bikers are riders so i am with you. i do like to polish my bike though, it is a beautiful bike and it deserves to be ridden and cleaned.
  11. Trophy Mike

Trophy Mike w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer:
    J.D. fuckin' Salinger
  12. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    dude you could be a stumbler and would be welcome on a ride with us anyday!
  13. GSXF

GSXF Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another thread focusing on labeling. I say who care how others look or label you, all it matter is that you know you like what you do, and ride what you like. :wink:
  14. Grumpy

Grumpy Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Lower South Coast, Kwa Zulu Natal, South Africa
    +1 on that :1drink
  15. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    i hear you but it is more of a discussion of semantics. i am hoping that this discussion will free the word biker from the heavy chains of piratedom!
  16. Bugman98

Bugman98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but stereotypes are a real timesaver! :lol3
  17. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a buddy with a 20k softail with 700 miles. He has had it four years and 400 of those mile are because I made him and his wife take a one day overnighter with us.

His motto is if it doesn't say harley davidson on the side he has no interest.

He is neither a biker nor a motorcyclist. I just call him douche :lol3
  18. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    To each his own.

I don't see a problem with someone who enjoys owning and polishing a nice motorcycle rather than riding. As a former member of the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) I was surprised to find out that most members have no intention of ever flying, instead they like to build or just talk about building. Some are in their late 70s and have been working on building the same aircraft for 25 years. It will never be completed. Sure it's easy to make fun of these guys but if it makes them happy, good for them.

As for myself I'm just the opposite. I don't give a sh#t about the bike, I just want it to be functional so I can ride.

19. roadhamr

Oddometer:
    is that jimmy the office douche from kansas?
  20. regal403

regal403 vanilla_g0rilla

Oddometer:
    I prefer the term "motorbikerist."