Are you a motorcyclist or a biker?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by levain, Oct 21, 2009.

1. beachmike1

beachmike1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    SO Ca huntington beachl, behind the orange curtain
    Classification with no specification equals meaninless arguements.

Been called both. SOme years I riide a little some I ride a lot.
    Some times I wear leather.
    Other times A riding suit
    I have had MX bikes, and Trials, speedway, flattreck,
    Bikes from europe, Britain (which if you call a Brit a EUropean you will be called a wanker or worse), Japan, the US china, Canada and Mexico (carabella ...cool but a POS).

RIdden all over the west
    Once from LA to detriot in the winter, on a royal enfeild...ya ride what you own.

My question is thus!!!

Biker, or Motorcyclist, who wants to know. ???

I just like to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. nvr2late

nvr2late Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have to agree with this.
  3. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 40 years of riding, i lost the count of, different motorcycles, to the current ride 990 adv, never thought if i was a biker or a rider, what does it matter anyway as long as you're enjoying yourself, i bloody well am anyway.
  4. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride Feet Forward on an outdated, obsolete Cruiser then You are likely a BIKER. :ymca

If you ride something with your feet below you, Dirt, DS, Standard…There is a better chance you are a RIDER. :ricky

Feet behind you? Those folks swing both ways. :ymca :killen :ricky

:lol3
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I kinda like "cool". That's what all the kids in the class call me when they learn I ride motorcycles. I'm "cool". :lol3
  6. col klink

col klink the str8n'r

Oddometer:
    I ride
  7. hotshoetom

hotshoetom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well said. I think there is a related way to look at it. The term biker sounds more like a slang expression for the word motorcyclist to me. It also is a confusing term and in this area of the country is often used to describe someone who rides a bicycle. If I was just introduced to someone and we wanted to get to know each other, I would tell them that I was a motorcyclist because that is a specific term. Everyone knows what a motorcyclist is, but a biker is an ambiguous term. Does that make sense?
  8. buzz-lightyear

buzz-lightyear n00b

Oddometer:
    I am proud to call myself a biker no matter what I wear or what I ride. It is my lifestyle, it is my heritage and I have no issues with the term. It seems to me there are a lot of people that forget where this motorcycling universe started. We can all trace it back to a few people that wanted to do it their way. Isn't that the common thread? The discussion of who is more of a real enthusiast is kinda arguing about different aspects of the same religon....

Shut up and ride.
  9. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're categorizing.

Reason being: I've got two groups of friends on Motorcycles. The first group rides primarily Harleys, wear leather and don't ride anymore than a couple of thousand K per year. I enjoy their company -- we have a lot of laughs and do spend time giving back to the community.

The second group I hang with wear Ballistic Riding Gear, Full-Face Helmets, have lots of farkles on their rides and tend to be members of the LD crowd.

Personally - I can manage around 30,000 - 40,000 km per year...if I don't fall off again and break something!
  10. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    yeah but do they dress up like Snoopy going to his Sopwith Camel?
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    I don't...

It started with people trying to get cheap transportation on rough roadways. Not as some life style. People rode to get from here to there. Seems the war in Europe brought it all back around again in the late 40s when people had little money. It's transportation for many, not some life style.

In the U.S. it was a way for some veterans to experience the interactive nature of their action in the war. Wandering aimlessly on them was the freedom, the motorcycle was a cheap way to do it, and the interactive nature of riding was like the experience of flying and/or the battles themselves. It was a coping mechanism.

For others it's the interactive nature of it that creates something exciting. For me that's it, not some life style to define me. It's what I do for excitement. If others see it as defining of themselves or of me for that matter, that's their judgment. But I'm a person who just likes the visceral experience of riding and like to do so quite often. That's also why I dislike big group rides, riding straight flat roads, and don't belong to clubs. I am an AMA member because they deal with the legalities, but I'm no club memeber with meetings, officers, dues, rules, and (gulp) road captains...
  12. markk53

Oddometer:
    That's pretty darn good based on what your season must be up there... isn't it?
  13. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you if your a biker or not: if you read these responses and want to kick about 90% of the peoples asses who've responded-your a biker; if you've "talked down" about bikers on this thread but would never have the balls to say it to their face -well ,then your the latter.
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Says the guy who is afraid to fill out his profile location. :deal
    :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  15. MustTourEurope

MustTourEurope Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl :nod :rayof
  16. street rider

street rider Grow old not up

Oddometer:
    What a stupid thread, call me what you will. I'm going for a ride
  17. Reddane

Reddane Circling pi

Oddometer:
    Uh, I'm an enthusiast.

Next!
  18. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really cant understand what difference it make's!?
  19. MillCreek

MillCreek ADV Risk Manager

Oddometer:
    I guess I am just a two-wheeler, since I have more bicycles than motorcycles.
  20. bush pilot

bush pilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    And that ain't no bull.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M-70jCduUxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object><object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g266Uwp6ZnI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>