Are you a motorcyclist or a biker?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by levain, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I like the term "rider." It is as all-inclusive as "motorcyclist" and puts the semantic emphasis where it ought to be.

"biker" has too much of a leather 'n' do-rag connotation these days.
    Johann and CrankyTom like this.
  2. Gunny03

Gunny03 n00b

Oddometer:
    Never thought about it in these terms. I consider myself a biker because that's all about being in the wind. I can also consider myself a motorcyclist due to the technical/mechanical knowledge I now have that goes into the rides. Whatever we are I look fwd to seeing you on the road, and sometimes off it.
  3. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    My take on it:

biker = buys into the scene and likes to hang out with the crowd. Can be harley crowd, sportbike crowd or even adventure riding crowd. Image is important and it's important to belong to a biker group.

motorcyclist = someone who revels in the experience brought to you on two wheels. This can be a Harley, a scooter, touring bike, adventure bike etc, doesn't matter. The riding in whatever form is in focus. Also doesn't care so much what other people think, if the bike he rides is noisy then he rides a noisy bike. It's not that he wants other people to look at him it's just that this particular model isn't very silent and so on....

That's just my take on it, your mileage may vary :norton
  4. InTheSticks

InTheSticks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uhmm - I don' wanna pickle.......
    Jus' wanna ride on my motor sickle......
    And, I don' wanna die....
    Jus wanna ride on my motor cy........

What was the question again ?
  5. JimboX

JimboX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you can't help making fun of people who ride what they can you don't get it.
    Big John Sny likes this.
  6. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    :deal.......................... :1drink

:D
  7. rivercreep

rivercreep Banned

Oddometer:
    I believe the question was...
    Are you a snobbish asshole who likes to classify people so that you can distance yourself from them by calling yourself something different?:evil :rofl

I am!:norton Because I bathe!:eek1
  8. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist, biker, rider... any of them are all right with me. Just don't want to be called a pedestrian. :uhoh
  9. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have something to say; I'm both and moody as fvck. :freaky
  10. sonascope

sonascope ursine scootician

Oddometer:
    I call myself a "scootician," primarily to aggravate my regular riding buddy with a beautiful old BMW R69S, who's very prim and serious about his riding (and scowls at my insistence on giving the rubber-side-down wave to anyone else on the road). That, and I dress in weird mixed-up ATTGATT (i.e. the best pieces I can afford) and I'm a big guy buzzing around on a little bitty mixed-up Indian/Italian motorized atavism, so I just make shit up as I go along. Life's too short for consistency.

If I really cared what people thought of me, I'd probably be driving a Honda. Lacking that, I like to keep 'em guessing.
  11. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    And I have Hondas'. I owe you a beer. :freaky
  12. UFObuster

UFObuster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...so, you're independent...don't care about other's views of you...have hard-wired opinions or are 'mushy' about your own....have an up-scale bike or a home-built hog....wear a brain-bucket or a full-face....
    ..quit talking...
    You don't have any control over the common vernacular...."biker" is a negative....so I choose to be a "motorcyclist"...
    ..this is not a bad thing...'motorcyclist' is a reflective word...suggests study...suggests awareness....wanna wear a 'brain-bucket'?...OK...IF you KNOW the difference...and choose the worst....you are still a 'motorcyclist'. In this world...a 'biker'....does not carry the 'cred' of knowledge...
    ..I ride ATGATT...feet under my hips...full-face. My buds are all into ' life style look' with feet forward....'do-rags'...half-helmets...BUT, they KNOW the difference....we are ALL 'motorcyclists' if we are making informed choices...not just buying a bike and a costume....ie, 'Biker'....not my choice of words but this is the un-welcome world's label for you.
  13. ziepan

ziepan Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    I always thought of a "biker" as the 1%er or the hardcore gang member that pretty much lives on the run or in prison. And the other 99% who buy leather costumes and go for weekend rides and join "clubs".

A motorcyclist I always thought of as someone who likes to ride. Whether it is on the weekend or a 9-month trip around the world.

I have no desire to join a gang for life and commit felonies for a living or dress up in leather costumes and get a HD logo on every thing I own.

I just ride my bike.
  14. Ovoidious

Ovoidious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bikers don't play TAG-o-Rama

Motorcyclists do...

:clap
  15. CBBaron

CBBaron Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm a human!

The other terms are just used to describe what I am doing at the time.

I always thought a biker was someone who rode a bicycle. Short for bicyclists.
    Motorcyclists is more descriptive of a motorcycle rider.

I alternate between commuting on a bicycle and my motorcycle. I never know how to answer coworkers when they ask "Did you ride your bike today?"

Craig
  16. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Motorcyclist. I have a Harley and a Bimmer, so I'm not prejudice, but I've always associated "biker" with the guy you see at the mall wearing HD boots, HD glasses, HD belt, HD tattoo, HD coat, HD hat, HD shirt.... and probably doesn't even own a bike. "Biker" seems to have synonymous with "wanna-be". My five cents.
  17. rev383

rev383 Yes I'm a n00b

Oddometer:
    Yup. Motorcycle enthusiast.
  18. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Biker like an icon....

19. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was called a Biker once. I was in Italy on a 6 day bus tour with my daughter other high achieving 6th graders from Kentucky and California . On the day that it happened I had taken off on my own to get to a rental place where I got my hands on a 125 Vespa. I rode around Rome for a bit but wanted to get out of town. So, I climbed up the tallest hill I could see , plotted a course and headed for the lido on the shores of the Mediterranean .
    Anyway back at the hotel one of the moms or grandmas had a bottle of corked wine , but , no corkscrew. I pulled out my Victorinox with handy corkscrew and saved the day.
    One of the moms said "Of course he's got a corkscrew ! He's a Biker !"
    Suncoaster likes this.
  20. BywayMan

BywayMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why did this take a decade to bump?
    Dtx915 likes this.