Are you Prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Thanantos, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Rango

Rango Phaneropter

Oddometer:
    As much as I agree with your thinking, you do miss the point: there's no good television in a bike that can outrun zombies... :deal
  2. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    I swear that half the reason I watch "The Walking Dead" is to bitch about the stupid decisions they make. But, if they were smart, the show would be very boring. So, yeah - liter bike zombie chaser it is!

Though if they want some real suspense, they should give Daryl a big bore kick only thumper - Like a KTM 620. Nothing like going to threw the 4T kick routine while the hoards approach!
  3. wild

wild Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am surprised so many zombies here...
  4. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
    lock your doors, they may not hear you.
  5. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Talking of "hear"..how come Daryl's bike doesn't attract zombies from miles around? All of them complaining because of his lack of baffles and each one suffering from permanent hearing damage.
  6. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I still don't recognize the bike - but that is certainly an amazing engine. It looks like an inline 4, but sounds like a V-twin. Daryl's last bike was a parallel twin but also sounded like a V-twin. I guess in a post apocalyptic world, all bikes sound like harleys?
  7. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    :huh Spoiler alert? I did not watch the last two shows... go here to post up news. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633574
  8. lmychajluk

lmychajluk Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:

What spoiler? I assure you there's nothing in that picture that gives out any plot - relevant or not.

Thanks for the link, though. I did a search for a The Walking Dead thread, but maybe the Jo Mamma section doesn't show up in the results?

Thanks! Still don't know why the NightHawk engine sounds like a V-Twin on the show.
  10. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:

Go wild! http://www.carthrottle.com/post/you-know-what-grinds-my-gears-incorrect-engine-sounds-in-films/

Includes tit-bits like - Even Ronin, one of the best car chase films ever made, managed to get it wrong. The first-generation Audi S8 has a 4.2-litre V8, yet the S8 in the film sounds suspiciously like it has six cylinders, not eight.

11. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    Kinda like in the old movie "then came bronson":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k2ZI125DPk (embedding disabled)

Check it at about 2:45, where his sportster suddenly loses 1 cylinder and 2 strokes - while sounding just the same. Hollywood magic!
  12. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Ha! that's a pretty good list. Here's the first one I noticed:

https://youtu.be/EgphD_ZO_jI?t=3m4s

The engine is a 4 stroke single - but the sound is a little off! Though, I if I had to critique the validity of that chase scene, the dirt bike sound is a small part of what's wrong with it!

I can almost let that one slide. Obviously they aren't going to take a Harley up that hill climb and I guess they lacked the budget for special effects. I'd think they could have at least attempted to hide the engine! At least the sound was correct and consistent - even if the engine was magical!
  13. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Yeah, obviously.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s4e5xsKiuuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  14. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Yes. Obviously. :rolleyes

I didn't think I needed to spell it out - but in 1969 they didn't have high horsepower extended swingarm monoshock dedicated hillclimbing Harleys.

In 1969, they obviously weren't going to take that Harley up that hill climb.
  15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    You just gotta know that somene's gonna post a video from a 60's era HD hill climb series....this is ADV after all ;p
  16. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    There weren't any two stroke mono-shocked dirt bikes in 1969, either. I was there, and I remember. And there were a lot more people doing dirt bike type stuff on Sportsters then than there are now. In 1969, Sportsters were more popular than big twins, and lots of people still remembered the Sportster's roots as a racing bike.
    And yeah, people were indeed taking Sportsters up hillclimbs.
  17. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ffYFbH0qngs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  18. gravityisnotmyfriend

Oddometer:
    Still not the bike or the hill from the show. Seems like if it were feasible to take that bike up that hill, they would have simply done that. Since they didn't, it seems obvious to me that it were not feasible to take that bike up that hill.

I'm under no illusion that sportsters were never driven off road in the 60's.
  19. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    :wink:

[​IMG]
    actually, i cannot tell what bike that is, I am going by his shirt.
  20. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    What seems obvious to me is that they hired a stunt rider, who used his own bike. Whatever bike that might have been. Hollywood typically used an actor, car etc. for close-up scenes, and a stunt double and specially prepped vehicles, etc. for the action shots. Nothing new there.
    And I see what you did there. In your original statement, the one I quoted, you said, "Obviously they aren't going to take a Harley up that hill climb" but now you're saying, "it seems obvious to me that it were not feasible to take that bike up that hill."

Speaking of stunt riders, the most iconic motorcycle stuntman who ever lived used Sportsters for most of his stunts.