Arizona Coaching needed... NY guy likely to get lost/hurt/arrested

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by open1mind, Nov 26, 2018.

1. open1mind

open1mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AZ colleagues- I am planning biz trip to Phoenix/Scottsdale during February 2019, and it is tempting to ship my bike ( or rent one) and extend my trip for several days. There is a lot of good info on this forum, but I am wondering if anyone can suggest an agenda. My hope is to spend about 80% of the time on dirt.

I will have a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to my self. One theory is to just do loops into the Tonto, returning each night to my hotel in Scottsdale. Night riding in February sounds a bit chili, even for my thick Northeast skin, yes?

Lots of threads here, and from Google earth, seem to show an endless supply or dirt roads and trails that could be strung into 3 separate loops, yes?

I have the klr in the pic below- fully knobbied and with good protection. I am by no means an expert, and generally IMG_0862.jpg slow- but I can make it through the ugly mud bogs that pass for trails around here. Im sure that some AZ trails can be a bear, but I see a lot of reasonable service roads and double track on Youtube and photos here.

Any coaching or routing ideas would be appreciated.

Ride well
  2. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pick a direction....go find. Or pick up one of the MVUM maps (none available on Tonto yet...) and use that as a starting point. The AZBDR is another good starting point.
  3. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout just before you come & I can show you some fun stuff around Scottsdale & a bit north.
  4. HoosierTrailmaster

HoosierTrailmaster Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer:
    Probably want to stay South of the Mogollon Rim...it is cold up there after Thanksgiving.
  5. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lil' Steve likes this.
  6. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    4 Peaks/Apache Trail
    Seven Springs to Sheep Bridge
    Seven Springs to Bloody Basin
    Montana Mtn

I swear the day will come I will actually write it all up in a thread..

Stop by the "East of Phoenix" thread before you get here and chances are pretty good you'll find someone to show you around..
    Manywheels and Lil' Steve like this.
  7. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a recent NYC transplant, I don't quite have as good a grasp on the geography as I did back east but all good suggestions so far. Great riding in all directions. Plawa has mentioned some very scenic, easy stuff for a 650 dual sport bike. Weather could be a factor on 4 Peaks in Feb. I'm sure both he and @cyberdos will be more than happy to oblige if you're looking for something more challenging. Riding paradise out here.
  8. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 Plawa
    Northern parts of AZ WILL be cold. Have a look around the area southwest of Wickenburg.
    Drop me a PM when you get closer and I can help with trails or ride along.
  9. open1mind

Oddometer:
    Wow- that was quick. Thanks to all for the offers/insights.

I also just investigated renting an Africa Twin. Amazing- back east, or in most states for that matter, renting a bike is a project. Renting a bike that is set up for dirt is pretty much impossible in most places. I am starting to like AZ.

It might be easier to rent vs the headache of shipping my bike for only a few days use.

More to follow.
    Foiler likes this.
  10. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    Speak to Mike at Arizona Motorcycle Adventures, his bikes are set up to go offroad..
  11. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    This.

people think that just because it's Arizona it doesn't get cold but trust me, it gets cold up there. Stay at low elevations. I would rather ride your KLR than an Africa Twin here. Offroading is where the good stuff is and a rented big bike limits you.-
    Foiler likes this.
  12. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    might get first snow this w/e,,,, love riding first snow, i'll send pics.
    hbmichael and Sledred like this.
  13. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    got first snow, but the wife wanted to go this time and that means her dog,, so no moto pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    As a former NorthEast resident I'd like to point out that ...fuck that.

:nah
    Foiler, AZ Mark, Todd157k and 3 others like this.
  15. open1mind

Oddometer:
    NO interest at all in riding in the snow. I will spend the rest of the day pretending that i didnt see those pics!

I decided to rent the AT vs shipping my klr. The snow pics reminded me to stay at low elevation...
    Foiler, 2 SPOT, cyberdos and 2 others like this.
  16. Torque Request

Torque Request Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good call on the AT. Don't rule out the higher elevations as the weather can vary greatly this time of year.
  17. open1mind

Oddometer:
    So just to circle back to this esteemed group- I had a great trip. I ended up with a GS12 from AZ motorcycle adventures. Cant say enough about the good service from Mike there. Someone had an " unexpected horizontal event" with their Africa Twin, so Mike moved me to the GS with no change in rates. He mapped out a great route over a period of days- Apache trail, Readington Rd, and a few great day trips.

Great state- I envy you locals
    madeouttaglass, cyberdos and Plawa like this.
  18. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Cool studs.. glad you had a great time