Arizona: DAM Ride for Fall Color

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rogue Scout, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    Instigator here. (Post modified on 8/1 eliminating Oct 15 as proposed date)

Brain Brian asked if I'd instigate a Fall ride in Flagstaff to view the colors. I figure somewhere around late Sept to Mid October, but would love to hear more from some of the Flag riders to verify that as a good plan.

Camping.....might be pretty chilly at elevation. My suggestion is hotel or camp as you see fit (Dave will, of course, go hotel cuz Dave don't camp, dude). We can map out meeting times and places (reads: places to eat) for get togethers. Macy's Coffeehouse comes to mind as a great morning meeting spot. Cookout in the Park for supper might be a good idea as well.

I'm voting Hart Prarie Road as a great scenic route, but there are others, for sure. Lockett Meadow is stunning when the aspens are changing. I'm happy to scout out possibilities between now and then.

The Inn at NAU has rates starting at $79 per night, and there are a ton of other hotels in the area as well.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    sounds good to me, i'll make one of these DAM rides if it kills me.
  3. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me. I have a ride coming up the following weekend, but I think I can make this one.

FWIW, for us po' bikers, there's two Motel 6's in Flag.

Chip
  4. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Hilltopper, Sethro or Elf - resident suggestion for Fall color dates?

The fall color 2005 experience:

August 19, 2005
    The first hint of fall color occurred today in the Courtyard Garden, where the smooth sumacs are beginning to turn. This is not unusual at 7,150' above sea level. Fall color at The Arboretum tends to peak during the last part of September and the first part of October.

September 1, 2005
    Fall is beginning to show up throughout the grounds, but you have to know where to look. A few leaves on the smooth sumacs, aspens, chokecherries, currants, box elders, fireweeds, and amur maples have already turned.

September 13, 2005
    Fall is apparent throughout the grounds, but only in pockets. The box elder by the pond is halfway to peak, but most other plants are still in their summer colors. A few leaves on the smooth sumacs, aspens, chokecherries, currants, fireweeds, and amur maples have already turned.

Tuesday, Sept 21, 2005
    Fall has definitely arrived at The Arboretum. This weekend should be the first good weekend to view fall color on the grounds. Many of the maples, aspens, and box elders are vibrant. Many of the late-season wildflowers are also still in bloom, as shown in the photo at right.

Thursday, Oct. 6, 2005
    This should be the last great weekend for fall color here at The Arboretum. The aspens still have plenty of color, as do the currants, chokecherries, and sumacs. The maples have lost many of their leaves, but the Virginia creeper is especially beautiful in the Herb and Courtyard Gardens.

From Flagstaff Arboretum's web space @ http://www.thearb.org/fall_color.htm
  5. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Recommended Fall Color Scenic Drive near Flagstaff. This information is adapted from the Flagstaff Visitor Center's fall color flyer.

Hart Prairie Road

The premier Fall Colors Tour! Hart Prairie Road winds through blazing yellows and golds of the shimmering aspen groves. Peak times are usually late September/early October.

Distance: 50 miles. Approximate driving time without stops: two hours.

Roads: Paved and good dirt roads.

Take US 180 (Humphreys Street) which starts at Route 66, the main thoroughfare in Flagstaff. Head north on Route 180 toward the Grand Canyon for 10.8 miles to Forest Service Road 151 (Hart Prairie Road). Hart Prairie Road loops around through the aspen groves back to Route 180. Turn left on Route 180 and head back to Flagstaff.

(Also from the Flagstaff Arboretum web site)
  6. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    After considering the Arboretum's information.........I had originally thrown out mid October, but it seems that is too late in the season.

How does Sept 30 weekend sound to everyone for a Leaf Peepers weekend?
  7. Beem Dubya

Beem Dubya ...least I have chicken.

Oddometer:
    I'll keep this one in mind...but that's the last weekend before the Huachinera/Creel trip
    and I might be doing final prep work and packing the Dakar.
  8. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    My Sportster's getting a chain drive now,:clap so definitely count me in.
  9. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Same here; I hope to make this event but thats the weekend before Huachinera/HU-Creel so it's questionable. This would be a great shake out run, though.....here's hoping!

Cheers.....Mike
  10. nvklrgirl

nvklrgirl Mrs. kdxkawboy

Oddometer:
    This new date makes it a definite maybe...:nod With my schedule I won't know for sure until probably the week before, but I've wanted to do this for a long time so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  11. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In. My sleeping bag is good to +15, so I'll probably camp.

JC
  12. winterhk

winterhk *Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer:
    I shall do my best to make this ride. Maybe on the Strom this time.
  13. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Sept 30 sound's good.

Chip
  14. Hltoppr

Hltoppr El Gringo Spectacular

Oddometer:
    Most likely I'll be around the Sept 30th date too!

FS522...or Hart Prarie Road to FS418 around the Peaks, and Lockett Meadow would be fun in the fall. Great colors on the ski hill road as well.

-H-
  15. Queen

Queen Happy Camper

Oddometer:
    Ditto that. :thumb I'll keep watching the work flow and see if I can get away.
  16. Brain

Brain mr. self destruct

Oddometer:
    Wow great response. I’ll be there and Mrs. Brain wants to go. As far as camping, White Horse Lake is open until October 1<SUP>st</SUP> has a group site or single sites. From there it’s dirt most of the way to the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Verde </st1:placeName><st1:placeType>Valley</st1:placeType></st1:place> or into <st1:City><st1:place>Prescott</st1:place></st1:City>. If we camp I'll need to get a new tent and lots of rope.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/kai/recreation/campgrounds/whitehorse.shtml

http://ra1.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commonpage.jsp?goto=/nrrs/az/whlg/newindex.html
  17. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    Most of the campsites in the Coconino National Forest are open through September, so I bet if we talk to the Ranger district it'll be fine if we camp through until Sunday, 1 Oct.

There aren't many organized campgrounds near the peaks, but there are a few out by Lake Mary and Mormon Lake which might be nice.

A great ride (easy, too) would be to circumnavigate the peaks. Starting near Mt. Elden, we take 420 north to 418, and that west to 151, and then down 151 (Hart Prairie Road) back to 89A. Lots of other rides north of there, including the connection to the JC's "Let's go all the way to the Canyon" non-plan from Summer Camp. The loop should be spectacular in Sept.

JC
  18. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    There are a ton of pulloff spots in and around the peaks for camping. A ton. Some real nice camping to be had up near Bismark Lake, which is very near the northwest part of Hart Prairie Rd.

Lockett Meadow is beautiful and the camping spots are open until Oct 15. It lies at 8600 feet and is surrounded by aspen groves. 8600 feet. That's up there. I dare you to camp there in Sept. :ear

Info on Lockett Meadow: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/recreation/peaks/lockett-meadow-camp.shtml
  19. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
  20. Codewheeney

Oddometer:
    It's open until 15 Oct. I'm game. We can't reserve spots, but I bet we can find enough in September. It'll be beautiful. Who's with me? :freaky

Besides, if it gets too cold, we can always bail and go all CrozB and find a hotel. :lol3

JC