Arizona: DAM Ride for Fall Color

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rogue Scout, Jul 30, 2006.

1. BRPman

BRPman Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info below, now one last question here. As I am not going to camp out, but rather go to the meeting/camp spot.what time are you all leaving to beging the peeping run?

inquiring minds want to know. I cant come up the day before and need to be in PHX by 9pm the night of the ride.

Info pleeese!

2. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    OFFICIAL MEETING SPOT for the Saturday morning ride is:
    Fort Valley Late for the Train on Highway 180, Saturday morning, between 8:30 and 9:00, leaving at 9am

[​IMG]
    http://www.lateforthetrain.com/locations/fortvalley.htm

The Saturday morning ride is described in this message: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3297835&postcount=208.

Other rides that weekend at the discretion of the riders with locals and wannabe locals throwing out recommendations and options. Multiple groups and separate agendas are hereby solicited and approved without review by the committee in charge of the task force appointed by the board by edict of the Learless Feeder, El Jefe Enorme Muchas Guapo Loco Grande Hermosa I.:jose
  3. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Here is the link to the map to Fort Valley Late for the Train.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?n...pass=&i_ov=1&appid=&pan_x=0&pan_y=0&panable=1

I-17 is intersecting I-40 on the bottom of this map. I-17 turns into Milton as you drive into town. When you reach the concrete underpass at the train track, Milton turns into Santa Fe: you should be in the left lane, as your turn on Humphreys/Highway 180 is at the next light. Take Humphreys up the hill, turning left at the stoplight at Fort Valley Road, following the signs toward the Grand Canyon. Late for the Train is clearly marked on the North (right) side of the road.

Here is a link with a little more detail of the Milton/Train Underpass/Santa Fe/Humphreys/Fort Valley Road transition.

http://image.maps.yahoo.com/mapimag...e4oyYN1KUrEv4Gk3flOZfMbVg55oJthiAh6KTXL6OnMvj
  4. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
  5. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Sunday afternoon, the Flagstaff Arboretum is having an open house. Nice place if you like that sort of thing. More info at http://www.thearb.org/fall_open_house.htm

Saturday is Flagstaff Tour de Fat downtown at Wheeler Park sponsored by New Belgium Beer. Never been to one, looks a bit edgy (no surprise there) - public costumed bicycle parade (500 bikes in the parade last year), slow bike ride contest, obscure bands and odd stage events. And beer. My projection is that drunken misconduct will occur in Wheeler Park on Saturday, with concomitant bike crashes/tipovers and even less than graceful unscheduled dismounts. With music. Sort of.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/vibe_tourdefat_flagstaff_06.php
  6. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's also free admission to the annual ski/snowboard swap at the Chillis parking lot on Saturday and Sunday.

EDIT: Sorry to make yet another thread page. If you didn't see, Rogue Scout posted a crapton of info on the previous page, so go there now.
  7. Mike955i

Mike955i Future Escapee

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say, but I will not be attending this campout/ride/tequila tasting after all. I've spent 5 of the last 6 weekends away doing "bike stuff" and I'm in the final phase of prepping for a 10 day Mexico trip (Huachinera/Creel/HU) leaving October 6th. I need to spend some quality time with the family and this is the only weekend left (d'oh!).

Hope you guys have a great time.....Mike
  8. Hltoppr

Hltoppr El Gringo Spectacular

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, the Tour de Fat is a Flagstaff icon, as it's one of the biggest New Belgium Brewing puts on! Lots of cool bicycles and great beer! Well worth a look even if you're not drinkin' cuz' you're ridin'!

-H-
  9. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i went the year before last and it was great !!!, i didnt know it was happening this w/e but i will most definitely want to hang out sat eve/night after the ride.
  10. eljefeinorbit

eljefeinorbit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to making this excursion but my TA is down for the first time (thought it was cdi crap?). In the hands of the shop now. Just wanted to say have fun and enjoy the fat. Never been with ya'll but all this yappin about sweet sweet whiskey and witches teets makes me waiting anxiously for the next trip schedule. Ride on riders!
  11. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    I'm shooting for Fri aftnoon and riding up with you. I'll know for certain by Thursday.
  12. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    I'm out. My wrist isn't ready for the beating it would get riding off-pavement. :cry

I'll catch you guys on the next ride...
  13. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
  14. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Numbers for this event are droppin' like autumn leaves.........who am I missing on the attendee or un-attendee list?

Rogue Scout, camping fer sure.
    2 Spot, camping?
    Cornbread Red, Motel 6
    Beem Dubya
    AZBiker - Nope
    Mike955i - Nope
    azklrgirl
    Codewheeny, spirited camper
    winterhk, camping?
    Hltopper, local and proud new papa, not camping?
    Queen
    Mr Brian
    Mrs Brian
    Rolling Thunder
    vwtony3, local, not camping?
    BRPman
    noshoes - can't make it
    bbolesaz
    Photogbiker
    Gillies
    CrozB & Carla, not camping
    CrashDBad, not camping?
    Pir8te
    eljefeinorbit - can't make it.
    sethro & Elf, locals, not camping?
    gothamAlp - is that TA ready to rock?
    DOD
    azdroptop
    SeanF
    DirtFace, not camping.
    Speaker, local talent, not camping?
  15. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    Cornbread, Motel 6 ..see you Sat. morning at the coffee joint.
  16. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    I'm going to shoot for camping. I'm planning on bringing some Kentucky anti-freeze to help with the chill. If it's really awful, I'm off to a motel.
  17. Photogbiker

Photogbiker PDXGS Rider from afar

Oddometer:
    In, camping, and bringing various anti-freeze. Are we bringing food for the camp site, or heading into town for fine local fare?

Leaving Starbucks in Anthem by 7AM Saturday and hopefully to the rally point in Flag by 9, straight up 17 (yawn). (I assume that is reasonable, never ridden or driven it).

Can't wait to see a tree again. Left Oregon in August and not sure I remember what a plant without thorns or spikes looks like.
  18. Codewheeney

Codewheeney Hoopy Frood Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If this is like our Prescott Camping trip, real meals will happen in town, with only drinking and snacking happening in camp. Then again, if you want to cook us all breakfast on Sunday morning, I'm sure nobody will complain. :dg

Unless you don't cook something good, then we'll complain. Alot.

2 hours should be okay, so long as you don't stop. Might want to leave a bit earlier, just to give yourself some room. Should be pretty open on Sat. Morning.

Hmmm, that makes 3 ex-pat Oregonians on this trip. Rogue, are we gonna need some sort of permit or something? :deal

Can't wait to see everyone!
    JC
  19. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    i'm an ex. washingtonian, does that count for something?
  20. sethro

sethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No sorry does not help U @ all, :1drink