Arizona: DAM Ride for Fall Color

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Rogue Scout, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Rogue Scout

Rogue Scout Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer:
    Riding temps this week are, in a single word, ideal. Beeeeaaaaauuuuutiful.

Leaves are not peaking in terms of color, but I wouldn't want to wait another week or two with temps dropping. We'll see color, and the riding should be really nice. Ideal, really.

Did I mention that the temps for riding are, like, ideal?

Photogbiker: I leave Anthem for Flagstaff once a week. This week on the bike took me 1 hour 45 minutes, and I only pushed the speed limit a little. 2 hours budget should give you just enough time to meet us on 180 as long as you don't stop or hit traffic snags.

And as for you Arizona residents who are former Oregonians: it is my understanding that all Oregonians are ex-Pat Californians. Whatever the case, you're welcome in our group.
  2. CrozB

CrozB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nah... It's the Cali's moving to Oregon that are causing the Oregonians to move to Az :p Personally I was born in Phoenix but raised in Oregon. As an infant I protested but no one listened! Not much has changed :p

I miss the Trees but NOT the rain! Can't beat Arizona for the variety of climates all within short driving distances. I am in Green Bay right now on business and it is wet and cold. YUCK! Flying back late tomorrow night to pack and ride up Friday. Can't wait!
  3. SeanF

SeanF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi--
    All of my current rides are pavement pounders, so I won't be doing any dirt riding. (That's kinda why I didn't say I was IN on my last post.) If anyone else is in the same boat I can gauge interest in local paved rides.
    -Grand Canyon & back is a short ride, including sightseeing, in case anyone hasn't been there (North Rim is further, cooler, fewer tourists, but would require a much earlier start)
    -Lake Mary Highway/260/Sedona/back is a nice loop
    -Hopi Mesas for lunch? Ever had Hopi food?
    -Sedona/Jerome/Mingus Mt(nice twisties)/Prescott
    -Other suggestions?

It would be cool to meet everyone at the Late For The Train, even if I am the only road-bike geek. :cry :D

Later,
    Sean
    Flagstaff
  4. Kural

Kural Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    A sign of the season
    Aspens leaves on the northside of Mount Elden provide a hint of what is to come as Flagstaff moves into fall. In this next month aspen groves on the southside of the mountain will go through their fall color changes.
  6. bbolesaz

bbolesaz AZ Airhead GS'er

Oddometer:
    DAM Riders, unfortunately, I'm out for camping this weekend. Something about "When the @%&^ are you going to spend a weekend with your family?". Anyhow, I'm good for a day ride on Saturday, I'll hook up at the coffee place.

Later, Brian.
  7. FlagRS

FlagRS Gone to the Dogs

Oddometer:
    The conditions and weather are perfect for the Ride for Fall Color!

We won't be making your adventure, but wish you the best. RS Girl and I will be heading south on Sat morning for a day ride on asphalt, might stop at the Train to say hi (we live across the street). Looking forward to seeing many Adventure Riders invading Flag. If anyone has problems or needs some type of assistance please contact us.

Have a great time!
    FlagGS

Kurt - 556-0727
  8. Photogbiker

Photogbiker PDXGS Rider from afar

Oddometer:
    ....damn, them's fightin' words!

Actually there are a lot of them moving north. When people start saying "the 5" instead of "I-5", you know they have invaded.

Moved to AZ to avoid them and unfortunately found more here than where I left, at least judging by the driving skills of the locals. Used to ride my bike to work once in a while, scared #$%&less to ride here on a normal commute. I haven't driven to work a single day that there weren't at least two accidents, often one fatal. Living in a place where people drive like me is becoming scary....

packed the bike tonight, couldn't rock it forward off the center stand. Might have to rearrange. I do have coffee, an espresso maker, and a morning treat for those tough enough to camp. (my wife likes to bake:clap )

See y'all at the Train....
  9. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Looks like the Forest Service decided to initiate controlled burns west of town. No big deal, a bit of haze in town, but just in case anyone is sensitive to smoke, there seems to be a bit in the air. Mebbe they'll take the day off tomorrow.

I sit right now at Fort Valley Late for the Train, having warned them this morning that we were invading tomorrow 8:30 to 9am. Plenty of parking here, and a gas station right down the street. Light breakfast fare (burritos and pastrys) are available, as well as Odwalla juice and, of course, good coffee drinks.

We are at the early leading edge of leaf change - not in peak bloom around town - hopefully more color at altitude. But, man oh man, is the weather nice. Nippy in the morning & evening and pleasant all day long.

See all of you sorry lot tomorrow morning!
  10. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    8:30am Friday. I'm packed and ready to head out. Taking the slab and expect to be at my brother's place in Doney Park by 11:30. Plan to visit family for a little while and then head out to the campsite where I'm pitching a very small tent and spending the night.

Rogue, if the offer to ride out there still stands, pm me with a way to reach you and I'll check for it at my Bro's when I get up there. Say meet in town at 4pm or so?

Don't know if anyone else is camping tonight, but I have a very small Kelty Clark tent and a black '06 F650. I'd appreciate company. Otherwise, I'l see you all in the morn!

Clark
  11. Rogue Scout

Oddometer:
    Campsite tonight will be populated by Codewheeney, Rogue and at least one other as well as you, Gillies. There is talk of connecting at Alpine Pizza about 6pm. I'll be pitching my tent at the site after the Pizza meet.

Okay - listen up! :ear :huh :eek1 If anyone else is riding into camp tonight after dark, a word of caution is in order. :eek1 Take it easy on 180 as you head out of town. Elk and deer are all over the place up here and they can be seen along the roadside, and even in the road. You'll come in second place if you collide.:cry
  12. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    I will be heading up with Codewheeney this evening as well.

Rick
  13. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just met some ADV Riders at Alpine....

I'm 30 years younger than just about all of them! :uhoh
  14. Cornbread Red

Cornbread Red Fart's dust

Oddometer:
    I'm at the opulent Motel 6. Right now it's t-shirt weather here.See y'all tomorrow..Chip
  15. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm sorry I can't be there for your fall ride this week-end, but I plan to be out that way on the 6th, for a week or so of riding. Trying to find as much info on the local areas to ride, see the colors, etc, etc. anyone care to PM me with some personal favorites.....please do so. I'm reading back through this thread for any info now. thanks, and hope you all have a super week end.!:D
    Champ
  16. sethro

sethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i hear you got schooled by a girl

Seth

and U r 15 years younger than us :D

Ro
  17. Gillies

Gillies Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got home today at about six. Had my patty melt at Bun Huggers and figured I'd head back to the Valley and do some yard work Sunday. I'm not much for goodbyes.

I had a great time. Many thanks to Rogue Scout for dreaming up the idea and nurturing it into fulfillment. The weather couldn't have been better, and the trees looked great.

Thanks Speaker for your excellent camp directions, fire-making abilities, and putting up with a bunch of persons older than yourself - enjoy it while you can.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and shared your time (and tequila). I met a bunch of folks who I certainly hope to ride with again.

Here are a few shots I took:

Many bikes and riders at the coffee shop

[​IMG]

This girl can ride!

[​IMG]

Speaker was no slouch gettn' to the top either. And that after a night under the stars!

[​IMG]

Man and machine.

[​IMG]

More bikes filling things in at the top.

[​IMG]

Me.

[​IMG]

My F650 and Flagstaff Fall colors.

[​IMG]

Thanks again to all! Hope to see ya' on the trail again very soon.

Clark
  18. Speaker

Speaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, completely destroyed. Like Gillies said, "[That] girl can ride!" Though, I've only been riding since March, so I think you both cheated!

Thank you everyone, I had a great time. I was glad to meet all of you and hope we can ride again. (right after i fix my self destructing duct-tape mobile):freaky

Also, Gillies, thanks for positing the photos.
  19. sethro

sethro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. winterhk

winterhk *Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer:
    Looks like I missed some nice riding. Anyone ready to post more pics?