Arkansas 500 Byrd's Adventure Center, Arkansas April 9-11, 2021

Discussion in 'Rallies' started by ScottyXR, Dec 30, 2020.

1. ScottyXR

ScottyXR Just a Kid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is our 10th year!

The Arkansas 500 is a Dual-Sport Motorcycle ride that spans three days (April 9-11, 2021) and travels over 500 miles of back roads in the Natural State. Arkansas offers the most diverse sites and experiences for dual-sport riders in the Midwest, including beautiful wooded forest, large hill climbs, incredible water crossings, and more back roads that can be ridden in 10 years! Get on your bike and ride the 10th Annual Arkansas 500 April 9-11, 2021, with like-minded people out for a great weekend.

The Arkansas 500 is a dual-sport ride benefiting Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge, a 28-year-old non-profit big cat sanctuary. All (100%) of the profit from this backcountry dual-sport ride will go directly to help the animals. Thank you for participating. A $175 donation through PayPal, a signed waiver, and a filled-out rider survey gets you all signed up.

Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast and dinner, and Sunday breakfast are all included and once again, we will have Chef Vic on hand doing the cooking. You are responsible for your own lunch on the trail. Maybe you can talk your group leader into pulling over for lunch?

Camping fees are provided (bring all your own gear). If you do not want to camp in a tent, get a cabin (AirBNB, VRBO, Byrds Adventure Center phone # (479-667-4066). If you want a cabin, reserve it now!!!

Activities: Riding, Fish-storytelling, practical jokes, eating, and maybe some sleeping are some of the common activities.

2021 COVID-19 Changes:
    Hey everyone riding this April 9-11, I have some news as to the format changes from prior years. I will update it as we get closer to the event date.
    1. This year the ride will be held at Byrds Adventure Center on highway 215.
    2. Prior to the ride, a digital survey will be coming your way by email. Keep an eye out for it because I need the information to host a good event. Please fill it out promptly. Thank you.
    3. There are two different types of campsites: Those for RVs and those for tent camping. It is important to use a tent camping site unless you are bringing an RV. This is a fundraiser. This change will cut expenses and make more money for the animals.
    4. There will be no rider meetings to meet COVID-19 state regulations.
    5. There can be no buffet for food so chef Vic will plate every meal and hand it to you through the concessions window. All condiments will be in a single serving size. This includes coffee too. Sorry, state regs. Changes might/will be forthcoming. Check the forum often.
    6. This is not a change, but a reminder: The Tracks will be sent out one week before the ride.
    7. Social distancing will be totally up to each rider. We have found a way to have this event, help us keep it safe for everyone. Respect each campsite/group of riders' privacy in this matter. Don't approach them without an invite.
    8. To keep foodservice safe, I will personally go around the campsites one by one and release them to go get their meal. It will be random, so be patient.

Registration will include those riders who could not make the changed event date last year and emailed me a request to push their money to this year, plus those of you who sign up this year. Dates are not flexible (for COVID). Refunds are by request and friendly. Just ask by email.

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TODAY
    After you register, check this forum, post #3, for your name. If you see your name in post #3, you are registered. In March I will send out a survey to get shirt sizes. If you need a campsite with electricity let me know. There are only 18 available this year and they are on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Ride Itinerary
    [​IMG]
    2021 Arkansas 500 Ride Itinerary

Thursday, April 8
    Early Bird Ride and Eats – Two and a half-hour ride starting at 2 PM.
    “Eat at your campsite” dinner Thursday, April 8 @ 6:30 – Byrds Adventure Center. Pick up your plate at the catering window. PS: this is for your pandemic safety.

Friday, April 9:

There is no breakfast Friday Morning – Bring your own. Coffee will be available by 7 am.

All Riders be ready at 8:30 am sharp. After a brief rider meeting (and photo), it is kickstands up!

This year the ride will be stationary, at Byrds Adventure Center, and start and finish at the same location each day. Through the years, we have moved to a different location each day, but this year we will set up camp only once! You will have your truck, gear, and camping stuff with you each evening.
    [​IMG]

Dinner at 6:30 each evening and is catered. I will post the menu just before the ride. There is a shower house on site. The campsite fee is included in your donation to TCWR, but feel free to drop a donation in the jar. If you need electricity and other amenities email me at scott@turpentinecreek.org. This is on a first-come, first-serve basis. There are only 27 sites with electricity for us. Tent camping is unlimited. Gas is less than five miles away at Turner Bend.

Saturday, October 3

Coffee – 7 AM

Breakfast: 7:30 AM – 8:00 AM: Full hot breakfast. Make it snappy, we have a long day ahead!

Kickstands up by 8:00 – 8:30 am! This will be a long, hard day for sure! Eat to ride, not ride to eat!

You will arrive back where you started, Byrds Adventure Center, in time to enjoy camp, enjoy a great catered Prime Rib Dinner (6:30 pm) with a campfire (if you can still walk).

Sunday, October 4[​IMG]

Coffee 7:00 AM

Coffee 7:30 am – 8:30 am. Hot Breakfast

Kickstands up at 9:00 am.

Lunch – Up to you.

Arrive back at Byrds Adventure Center by 4 PM.

Dale402 and Mudclod like this.
  2. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    UPDATES:
    12/30/2020: We had are great ride in October of 2020! This year is going to be the best ever and have more "knard" sections. Remember if you get tied up in the knarly stuff it will be very difficult to get in 500 Miles!

2/2/2021
    NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE
    THE RIDE HAD TO BE RELOCATED TO BYRD'S ADVENTURE CENTER, JUST DOWN THE ROAD FROM MULBERRY MTN.

3/15/2021
    Fill out the survey sent to your email. I need your shirt size and camping arrangements. Please get this done asap.

3/29/2021
    Tracks will be emailed to the email you used to pay with paypal. If you want them at a different email, let me know at scott@tcwr.org.
  3. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    Rider List:

This is a confusing year for the leader of this ride (me). Refunds were give to riders who requested one while others opted to move their money to the 4/2021 ride. I will do my best to sort this out but I am sure to make mistakes. Do realize there were several riders who did not ask for a refund and did not show up. I had shirts made for them, camping sites rented for them, and catered meals purchased for them. If you are one of "them" please do not expect to come for free this year. Sorry, but I spent a lot of money for riders who did not ask for a refund and did not show up. So, here we go. This is the 2021 Rider list:

T Dey Weir, KS
    B Ekiss Aurora, MO
    F Fain Nacogdoches, TX
    B Gabbard Elkins, AR
    M Temellia Elkins, AR
    D Gray Wetumpka, AL
    J Gray Deatsville, AL
    K Kalidindi Frisco, TX
    J Luce Springfield, MO
    S Magavi Plano, TX

J Magavi Southlake, TX
    C Nevle Spring, TX
    T Peters Rogers, AR
    M Poole Titus, AL
    J Prasch St. Louis, MO
    S Reiniger Valley Park, MO
    J Russom Titus, AL
    T Russom Montgomery, AL
    B Taylor, Durant, OK
    D Thompson Bella Vista, AR

M Whitaker, Owasso, OK
    B Wright Durant, OK
    S Wilson Eureka Springs, AR
    M Hook Tishomingo, OK
    T Mikels Russelville, AR
    J Sola Glen Carbon, IL
    S Bogudameedi Allen, TX
    C Harlan
    T Knox Mountain Home, AR
    C Hauck

T Beck Huxley, IA
    G Graham Carlinville, IL
    L King Nacogdoches, TX
    A Campbell Owens cross roads, AL
    T Holland Heber Springs, AR
    A Rateliff Cabot, AR
    M Kemp Tulsa, OK
    P Garner Cabot, AR
    A Hutchcraft
    J Chiles Georgetown, KY

D Griffith Eureka Springs , AR
    D Baccus Greenville, TX
    M Peters Fayetteville, AR
    J Green Hot Springs National Park, AR
    S Heldenbrand Benton, AR
    D Stuart Kingston, AR
    L Beckwith Kingston, AR
    J Miller Kingston, AR
    K Reidl
    C Bartholow

J Sewell
    J Barnette Joplin, MO
    M Peterson Dallas, TX
    D Phillips Plano, TX
    B Nale Highland Village, TX
    S Edwards Pilot Point, TX
    J Babb
    S Anderson EDWARDSVILLE, IL
    D Barclay Russellville, AR
    J Clark Smithfield, KY

Z Schaefer Adel, IA
  4. osbo

osbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good morning, Will there be optional bypasses for the " knard sections " Thank you
  5. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    Yes, there will be the main 500 mile plus track with optional small bike sections. Many riders have requested this so I thought I'd add in more options. Of course, this all depends on my knee getting better to pre-ride those knarly sections.
  6. 1ggy

1ggy Wage Slave

Oddometer:
    I'm in! Visited Eureka Springs a month ago, what a cool spot!
  7. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm IN Scotty!
  8. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Getting ready now...
  9. KKeltner

KKeltner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much of this is back roads, compared to large amount of trails, or good single track/off-road?
  10. davepen

davepen Just put your damned city in your profile.

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing, and found this on the web site at Rider Information – The Arkansas 500
    It's hard to tell, but that makes me think this isn't really a good ride for a 500lb+ bike.
  11. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    The Arkansas 500 is all gravel backroads. Some are regular gravel roads, though curvy, and some are more challenging. No single track is on the route because I would have to get an "Outfitters" permit from the Forrest Service, which I am not going to ever do. I'm riding my 500 pound big bike this year so your BMW should make it fine! Also, I will have some Hero Sections for the small bikes who choose to go that route.
    davepen, CalamariKid and Bonafide Bob like this.
  12. WFO1

WFO1 Living the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scotty put in a really cool section last year and it MADE the 500 for my group. I was on my 790 and the other 2 on 500's. It was a challenge to hop the down trees but incredibly rewarding. My 2 buddies did it backwards just because it was so fun. Single track is there you just need to know where it is. Scotty does an Incredible job at getting a diverse group of riders together and making sure they have a great experience riding, enjoying what Arkansas has to offer and Comradery. The food Ain't bad either.
    guavadude likes this.
  13. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to it!
  14. davepen

Oddometer:
    One thing I won't be doing is hopping downed trees on a 1200GS.
  15. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    There is always a go-around! If you come across an impassible section, zoom out on your GPS and re-route back to the track on the other side of the obstacle. We pre-ride all tracks prior to the event, however there could be a storm between pre-riding and event day. So, just go around.
  16. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've had lots of riders on big bikes on the Arkansas 500!
    Never lost one yet!

Now Urals with sidecars, piloted by overly enthusiastic riders is another story!
    Even then, we didn't lose it, just had to send it to a dealer to get "de-watered". Lol 20190412_095649.jpg
    RememberTheFallen and davepen like this.
  17. davepen

Oddometer:
    Regarding the riders list posted above, what do the letters before the names mean?
  18. motogramps

motogramps Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a registration site for this ?
  19. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    The first letter is their first name initial. Then the last name, then the town and state they are from.
  20. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    Registration will open next week. Check here or at arkansas500.com