Arkansas 500 Eureka Springs, AR April 12-14, 2019

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by ScottyXR, Dec 5, 2018.

1. AvgADVdude

AvgADVdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure hope I find the new bike before next month! Maybe shoulda held on to one until June.. So what I gathered from reading all the posts is: wet, cold, long rides, wet some more and need fuel range. Is that about it? How many "stops" are within the route for fuel?
  2. ScottyXR

ScottyXR Just a Kid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    To answer, yes it could be wet and cold or it could be hot and dry. It is the Ozarks! If you do not like the weather, stick around for a bit, it will change.

Each day is about 170 miles if you are good at operating a GPS, and maybe more if you find it difficult to follow a track. Be prepared to go a minimum of 100 miles on your fuel compacity. MRS bottles easy to haul for those of you with a 2.2-gallon tank like me. This is an adventure ride. You may experience some adventure.
    wichita_zeb likes this.
  3. AvgADVdude

AvgADVdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am totally fine with the weather, that’s just what I was reading from the others. I’ve got plenty of gear, ride year round and have a rotopack too. Just wanted to ask about fuel stops. I’d also like an address of “where” the heck I’m driving to start this adventure.
  4. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    This will be a fun ride. There are two gas stops on each day, except day three, it has three. I am checking on another for day two. Some of the more remote stores are on their own clock, but we should be set.
  5. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    Address for start:
    239 Turpentine Creek Lane
    Eureka Springs, AR 72632

Thanks for the heads up
  6. RiverRatRider

RiverRatRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question Scott .. When you do send out Routes & Tracks . Is this what you expect people to follow ( Witch I'm 100% fine with ) or just something to go by ??
    I was just wondering AKA slower rider , flats , longer breaks . And a rider could catch up with the group baring the break is not hours ..
  7. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I think Scotty's routes are a best case scenario at a fairly good pace. You'll want to follow them as much as possible because it will be the best route. If you take too much time you'll end up being late for dinner which you don't want to do. Stuff happens though and there are plenty of roads and alternate shorter routes to camp you can figure out on the fly.
  8. RiverRatRider

Oddometer:
    :superI'm t-totally good with that !! I was just curious .
  9. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    The track I send out will be the one I follow. You are not tied to that route, and as a matter of fact, I encourage you to take any direction you see that looks fun. Guavadude is right, just be on time for dinner! If you see a trail you want to go down, do it. You can always slab it if/when your short on time.
  10. RiverRatRider

Oddometer:
    Ok Thanks .. I don't plain on deviating from your track I was just wondering ..
  11. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    General route question...

Are we sticking to mostly gravel/dirt type roads a jeep could go down or are we venturing off onto OHV type trails in the national forest areas? Trying to decide between a DR650 or a dual sported XR400.

I can ride either bike in either terrain. The DR hist takes more out of me in the tighter stuff and the pace gets slow.
  12. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I have a DR650 and DR350. If I'm riding from Dallas to AR and then riding the AR500, the DR650 would be my choice. If I'm trailering up, I'd take the DR350. The smaller the better and the best part is that Scotty and crew move your camping gear so you can ride light. It's mostly two track and I've seen guys do it on 1200GSA's loaded down with everything they need for an Alaska trip. They didn't look like they were having as much fun as the guys on the little bikes.
    dirty_sanchez likes this.
  13. advmgm

advmgm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are not familiar with the area I would not recommend riding by yourself, just in case something happens to you or your bike.
  14. Bonafide Bob

Bonafide Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Three more weeks, my bike and I are both ready to go. :-)
    See you all there.
    Bob
  15. Afalex1

Afalex1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes sir! My bike is almost sorted. Needs oil/filter change and to adjust front preload a little.

Gotta wrap up my camping gear selection though. I'm really looking forward to this trip!!

EDIT: Clutch started badly dragging over the weekend. Adjusted freeplay and diagnosed everything short of pulling the case cover. Clutch kit, thrust washer, etc on order. Should be good to go by rally time, but this stuff seems to always happen to me. I guess I should have expected it, 27K miles on a clutch of unknown origin since I bought the bike with 24K miles and no record of the clutch being changed. Too much slipping it in tight rocky terrain.
  16. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    The ride starts in 15 days! Check your email box for the link to a "must sign" waiver. I sent it today at about 3 PM.
  17. SATEX

SATEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got it and completed it. Great way to eliminate some paperwork upon arrival.
  18. ScottyXR

Oddometer:
    That is my intention, have as much done prior as possible. 65+ riders have already got the waiver out of the way ahead of time. Thanks, everyone who completed it. All the others, get on it, please.
  19. KUJHawks

KUJHawks n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are coming from Wichita and hope to make the Thursday warm-up ride. Has a time been set for that yet?
    Looking forward to this ride!
  20. AvgADVdude

AvgADVdude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A0733D4C-3816-485E-BB2E-F70B22EBCA23.jpeg
    Gettin closer...! Ready to explore Ar-Kansas.
    unpavdpthfinder likes this.