Arkansas backwoods hints anyone?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by slowoldguy, Jul 29, 2004.

1. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Getting the Vagina 9000 (GC) outta storage for a rip around Arkynsaw in 8 days. Fresh Pirelli on the rear, take a good shakedown this weekend. Can anyone give me some can't miss "off the beaten track" dirt or paved ro-ads. We seem to be tangling with a few too many troopers in the summer on the normal sporty roads. 3 for 3 in the last coupla years. Probably planning on staying in the middle of the state . Looks like some really good small roads south of Mena, some paved some probably not. Any locals wanta help route us?
  2. JED

JED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    quite a lot of good roads in the ozark area, NW area. I don't know the area well enough to recommend a road so have a look at maps before you get past it into the central area.
  3. JED

JED Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think Hwy 7 south from Harrison,then on down to Hot Springs on hwy 27. You can pick up 27 just south of Russellville. Just a suggestion, though it has been many years since I went through that area. You be the judge.
  4. eoR

eoR Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer:
    Here's some scouting info on my little part of the riding world...

Highway 123 from Clarksville to Pelsor and from Lurton to Mount Judea. Highway 74 to Jasper and Ponca, Highway 21 to Clarksville.

Highway 16 from Highway 23 to Tilly, Hwy 27 to Marshall, Hwy 14 to Big Flat, and Hwy 341 to Norfolk (aka Arkansas Gap)

Highway 23 from Ozark to Brashears Junction...part of which is known as the Pig Trail Scenic Byway.

Highway 74 is a pretty good connecting road between Highways 7 and 23.

Highway 215 from Cass to Oark.

Highway 103 Oark to Clarksville.

Highway 21 from Clarksville to Ponca.

Highway 7 is a popular route, but I think it is overrated...I enjoy the secondary paved roads more.

Generally light traffic on these roads with minimal LE
    presence...watch for logging trucks and "gut" trucks during the weekdays....some seasonal chip seal work on Highways 16 and 21. Wildlife a major concern...woods up to the shoulders in many sections give you NO warning. Almost hit a bear on 123 a couple of weeks ago. :eek1 Came to a complete stop...was wondering what I was going to do if it charged me, rather than continuing on across the road. The countersteer evasive maneuver works much better if you are actually moving. :lol3

Nice places for breaks at Ponca, Jasper, and Cass. Eureka Springs is a popular destination for riders.

Dont know much about riding South of the river...haven't gotten bored with the northen parts yet.

Enjoy and ride safe....
  5. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    I've done about half that . (My favorite so far is the area north of Russellville )Thanks a bunch. Now where's my highlighter.
  6. RL Lemke

RL Lemke Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are some awsome big trailie dual sport roads around Mena. Although they are hard to describe in a post as they are Forest Service roads that do not show up on regular maps.

Generally, south of Mena things turn to rock. Look east of Mena and north of Mena all the way to the cross country ridge roads north of Waldren. If you had a Quashita National Forest map ($6 by mail) I would be happy to give you some road numbers which are scenic and suitable for you. Oh yea, there are some great passable creek crossings on these roads. Look at my 1999 and 2000 dual sport ride web pages.
    http://dualsportmagazine.com/NewFiles/OzarksFallColorTour.htm
    http://www.dualsportmagazine.com/NewFiles/2000ColorTour.html

There are a couple dirt roads that come off the Talimena Pkwy that I enjoy. They do lead to other fun roads but the connections can be confusing.
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Grazie, folks, and we're off. Appreciate the help.