Arkansas GPS tracks

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by photojojo, May 26, 2006.

1. photojojo

photojojo This space for rent!

Oddometer:
    I thought I saw a post somwhere here once on this subject but I couldn't find it in a search.

I'm looking for GPS tracks from the Arkansas area for a possible upcoming DS trip. Any body got any they would be willing to share?
  2. Troy Skullbone

Troy Skullbone Real Piece of Work!!

Oddometer:
    Are you folks going to ride the Talimena? A bunch of us went recently and it was a blast.
  3. photojojo

Oddometer:
    I don't think so unless we have to cross it to get from one goat trail to another. This will be a mostly dirt ride that if all goes well will have a little adventure in it. :clap
  4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
  5. panaman

panaman Internet Shopper

Oddometer:
    check out transamtrail.com

also springtat.com
    a bunch of us just road through arkansas it was awesome
  6. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a few routes that are out of eureka springs arkansas, you could put them together backwards and ride from Ozark, arkansas to eureka springs. Kieth:1drink
  7. photojojo

Oddometer:
    I'm an idiot, sorry for the double posts.
  8. photojojo

Oddometer:
    It would be great if you could e-mail me or post those files here. My e-mail is oldbmw@gmail.com.
  9. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They should be in you e mail as we speak....:deal

these are the off highway ones out of eureka springs, if you want more information on highways to ride for the curves call me 918-446-2245 Kieth:rofl
  10. TroyWolf

TroyWolf Student in the art of less

Oddometer:
    Have you done your Arkansas dirt ride yet? Are you still looking for routes/tracks? Do you plan to ride the area around Clarksville/Ozark/Cass? If so, you should ride all 42+ miles of the Mill Creek ATV Trail System--it is excellent, imo.

I just spent 2.5 days riding down there. LOVED it.
    http://home.troywolf.com/SiteAlbum/index.php?a=../photo/2006-08-13/

The USFS website has an OHV section that includes PDF maps of the Ozark ATV trails. I was excited to find those and carefully printed them in color and placed in my handlebar map sleeve. Funny thing is, every officially marked trail that we rode in the White Rock area was NOT listed on the map. Each trail head has a marker with an alpha-numeric trail id, but these id's could not be found on the maps I downloaded last week. I will say that every trail we rode was wonderful. Some have not been travelled in a long time and some dead end deep in the forest. No problem--every trail is a new trail if you go the other direction.
    http://www.fs.fed.us/oonf/ozark/recreation/ohv.html

As for routes, I'd say just get on the forest roads and when you see a trailhead, go down the trail. As long as you have GPS, wherever you come out, you can figure out where you need to go to get "home". There is one particular trail that we loved that takes you from the top of white rock mountain down to the hwy 16 at Combs, AR. At Combs, there is a little cafe/gas store, but they had to stop selling gas because their pumps can't display $3.00+ pricing. From Combs, you are just barely north of the Mill Creek ATV Trail System. The Burlington Mountain Road that runs South of the Mill Creek trails is fun, too.

One lodging option is the USFS cabins on top of White Rock. That's where we stayed, and we enjoyed it. For an easy, relaxing hike, do the 2.1 mile Rim Trail accessible from any of the cabins or the lookout point.
    http://www.whiterockmountain.com/
  11. triumphant

triumphant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite treks is to ride from Dallas and pick up parts of the Trans America Trail throughout Arkansas. One of my top favorites is where the trail crosses Hwy 7 north of Hot Springs near a wide spot in the road called Iron Springs. It is gorgeous country and offers every kind of riding.
    You can go here to download the TAT trail for Garmin gdb GPS files.
    http://www.dickjacobs.com :: Go to the download page.
    Good riding ... and have a great life! :clap