1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Arkansas in June?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by BeemerChef, May 21, 2004.

1. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    I have only ridden through Arkansas once... I have the month of June free and was thinking about exploring the West area of that State after BYOBII...
    Been looking at maps and looks like there are some awsome roads... a riding book tells less traffic... of course I know the people will be friendlier than in Florida (Naples anyhow!) and all the National Forest offer free camping...
    Any favorites and any adv riders there?
    The truth is also that I am trying to avoid the cicadas on the East Coast!
    Be well...
    Ara
  2. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    check out hot springs, it's a neat town. don't miss the ozarks. be prepared to get hot and sweaty
  3. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    i found them in my dealer book,i got a battery installed on a saturday at the end of a long trip.
    i rode on 71 and checked out mena overlooks.
  4. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    I realize that the elevation of the Ozarks is nothing like the North GA or NC or VA mountains... hot and sweaty? I hate hot and sweaty... !!!
  5. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    It's hard to go wrong in NW AR. Scenic 71 is good now that all the traffic is on the I-540 spur. Also AR 23 (Pig Tail Trail or somesuch). In north central AR around Mountain Home, AR 341 (AKA Push Mountain Road) is sometimes called the "Arkansas Gap". Also AR21, AR16, AR123, shit they're almost all good.
    AR 309 - Magazine Mountain Scenic Byway. Highest point in AR at 2753 ft above sea level. http://www.booneville.com/Mt.Mag-Index.htm
    Scenic Byway 7 runs north/south down to Hot Springs, but it can have a lot of traffic. The portion from Russelville at I-40 down to Hot Springs is the best IMHO.
    The Talimina Scenic Drive (AR 88/OK 1) west of Mena is a must ride. Stop at the Queen Wilhelmina Lodge for lunch and a great view. There's a really short steep twisty road (272 or something?) that goes north from there down to the Rich Mountain Campground
    June though? Yes, hot and sticky. We had the Honda Sport Touring Assn national in Hot Springs in June '02 and it was pretty miserable. Still worth it for the great roads though.
  6. Badmunkie

Badmunkie ...and needing spanked!

Oddometer:
    Get the book Arkansas Rider's Guide from Amazon.com. Pretty good list of roads with references for food, camping, etc.
  7. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:

:lol2 then why the hell do you want to visit AR in the summer?????
  8. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love Northwest Arkansas---and have been riding road, offroad, dual-sport and adventure bikes there for 25 years---and I still go back for more as I have yet to see it all. But-----I would rather stay home than go during the summer heat and humidity.
  9. BobbyG

BobbyG Primal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just spent a weekend riding using Jasper, AR as a base. Nice!!! Lot's of great roads.
  10. porkie

porkie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Southwest Missouri Ozarks-riding Nirvana!!!
    :D Arkansas is especially beautiful this time of year with roads of all kinds, with twisties and elevation changes galore. It does get hot and humid, though not any worse than Florida. Just remember to dress accordingly and drink plenty of water. Eureka Springs is a favorite spot for motorcyclist of all types and is about a half hours brief ride from Bentonville BMW. Clear rivers and lakes are everywhere as is lodging and lots of friendly people, Southwest Missouri, where I live is also a great place to tour. Have fun! Sam
  11. FormerInmate 081920

Oddometer:

I knew you couldn't leave :evil :poser
  12. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Bobby, where did you stay? We always stay at the Super8 in Harrison when we go down there because its got a nice pool, but Jasper is really where the good stuff is happening. Did you find a little motel?

Jon
  13. caver

caver Missouri The Cave State

Oddometer:
    Just don't stay at the Executive Inn in Clinton AR.
    I was there Memorial Day weekend riding the Trans-am trail Arkansas section.
    What a dump. Door looked like it had been kicked in and photo shows what it looked like under my bed.
    [​IMG]
  14. eoR

eoR Thanks For Noticing Me

Oddometer:
    Be sure and check out Highway 123, especially the segment between Lurton and Mount Judea. Highways 21,16, and 74 tend to get overlooked because of the popularity of Highways 7 and 23 (Pig Trail Scenic Byway). Because of that the traffic is MUCH lighter. The pavement on these roads is generally good. Be sure to pick up an Ozark/St. Francis National Forest map for the unpaved roads in the northern area...there are hundreds of them to explore.

Yes...it does get a bit warmish in the summer, even up in the mountains. Ever hear of Buffalo gnats? They suck. :bash
  15. Jace

Jace Bellevue Rider

Oddometer:
    If you happen to be near Allison, stop for lunch. There is a good place right on the White River. We stopped there after coming down out of the hills from the east.....great road, but can't remember the number. One of my favorite roads is 341 north to Mountain Home. It is just a ways west of Allison. Have fun.... lots of excellent roads to enjoy.
    later,
    Jace
  16. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    :thumb That stretch of 123 is one of the best roads in the country. I totally agree about 21, 16, and 74 too.
  17. eoR

Oddometer:
    Highway 23 a few weeks ago....

Attached Files:

18. eoR

Oddometer:
    Same spot looking south....

Attached Files:

19. BobbyG

BobbyG Primal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We stayed at the Gordon Motel. My room had three double beds in it. The rate was about $50.00 and the hotel was booked full....
  20. givitsum

givitsum Scottish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arrived there just as 9/11 happened which put the damper on our two weeks holiday in Eastern Oklahoma & Arkansas --- weather was great though in September.

The Ozarks were the biz- and the place just shouted bring a bike next time --- If I can build Arkansas into my itinerary it will be early in May --- What can I expect weatherwise at that time?

givit