Arkansas in June?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by BeemerChef, May 21, 2004.

1. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    All y'all's wimpin' out, it's not that hot and humid in June! July though is a different story. Though I do recommend mesh riding pants and jacket as opposed to a 'stich.
    On the plus side, if you ride Southern Missouri, don't miss 160 from Doniphan to Alton, 106 from Ellington to Emminence, KK from Bixby to Bunker, and not to mention DD south of Potosi between C and 32 headed south, etc, etc. The Missouri portion of the Ozarks has miles of great backroads with very little traffic. Stay on the lettered roads for the best twisties and least traffic.
    AirForce
  2. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give me a call, we ride southwest MO and northwest Arkansas, every weekend, SW MO must ride Hwy 90 east of Noel, MO. Hwy 84 to hwy 74 east and north of roaring river state park. east of Branson, MO Hwy 125, many others, if you want I could forward gps coordinates from one of our Ozark Extreme Rides. (all paved roads)
    Arkansas, Hwy 23, Hwy 7, Hwy *123, hwy 14, hwy **341(push mountain road) hwy 127, hwy 74, hwy 48, Talimena Drive and the list goes on...........hwy 221 ,,,,, Good places to stay Eureka Springs, Ark
    Jasper, Gassville, Ark, Hot Springs is just too darn crowded Call me at the office 918-446-2245 or e mail me at tulsatruckcenter@sbcglobal.net

I am going on a Okla/KS back roads ride in March which will let me tell you about the adventure touring roads and pass along lots of gps stuff.
    Have fun....................Kieth:freaky :clap
  3. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OOPS, I did not look at the date. toooooo late. Kieth
  4. Gasdoctor

Gasdoctor .......

Oddometer:
    Hwy123... :evil That has to be one of the best roads I've ridden!! We found a Ma and Pa motel on the south side of Harrison for $35.00 a night!! Does anyone remember the name of the little town west of Harrison ( I think) that does the killer burgers out of a little red storage shed??
  5. cmwingfield

cmwingfield n00b

Oddometer:
    There's a little red storage building looking place that makes good burgers on Hwy 21 at Ozone. You sit outside at some picnic tables.

As for the question about riding in early May in Arkansas, it is a beautiful time, but unpredictable.....if your around the first weekend in May we will be conducting the 30th annual Wilderness Rally at the Spring Creek access camp on the Buffalo River. And speaking of the Buffalo River, if we can get more rain, it is a fine place to rent a canoe for a day or a weekend, plus the riding all around the Buffalo River is primo!

The Riverside Hotel in Jasper is a no frills place that's cheap. If you take Hwy. 74 east from Jasper there is a good camp there called Steel Creek and if you continue on 74 to Ponca there are some nice cabins for rent in Ponca. At the Ponca low water bridge you'll find a big open meadow where Elk herds hang out.

June can be pretty hot in Arkansas, but if you come in June the consolation is, rest assured you would have really burned your ass off in July and August. :lol3

If anyone is interested in the 30th Annual Wilderness Rally I'd be happy to provide directions. There's no fee, no patches, no t-shirts and it's likely to rain, flood, drought, tornado or some other such natural catastrophe, but beer drinking is considered a field event! Plus, the road down the mountain is alot better now and many fewer people crash!:freaky

Best,
    Mike
  6. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree. May and June are great weather in NW Arkansas and southern MO.

So many good roads and places to go. Mountain View for folksy bluegrassy corn and National Forest country (with terrific roads, paved, unpaved, and unmaintained dirt). Buffalo River if you want to do a little floating, or just get down where it's a few degrees cooler (it's a National Scenic Riverway). Eureka Springs is a Victorian spa town that's exceedingly bike friendly, even if most of 'em are Milwaukee Iron. Road Runner mag did a piece this year with pull-out tank bag maps of the Eureka area. Hot Springs I hear is great, 'tho I haven't been there. Ouachita Mountains around Mena are terrific, on into eastern Okieland.
    Fayetteville has the University, with everything university towns offer in the way of food, drink, and entertainment.
    Southern Missouri is just as good.
    I wouldn't hesitate to go there any time from April to October.
  7. McB

McB Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer:
    'course you started this thread two years ago, so you've probably made up your mind by now.......
  8. yater

yater Long timer

Oddometer:

Kieth, what kind of riding are you doing up there? I'm in Tyler, Tx and looking for guys to meet up with in that area. I can do just about any weekend and usually can leave friday mornings. I'd be on a dr650 and like the backroads and gravel. Let me know if you want to make a long weekend loop up there
  9. BAMA PATROL

BAMA PATROL URAL2WD

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on the Buffalo National River area?
    I was looking into a float trip, but wanted to tie in and combine both cycling and a float in the Fall. I usually hit the Boundry Waters area in Minnesota / Canada late September or early October, but can't this year due to work obligations. Looks like there would camping available throughout the area, so lodging shouldn't be an issue unless places close up in the Fall? I still am searching for a folding Pakboat canoe that I can load on my URAL PATROL luggage rack or put in the hack (sidecar). Looks like about a 10 to 15 hour trip depending on stops/sightseeing, etc. and then just wrambling around once there.
  10. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    Hey Jon, you can stay at Gordon's Motel on Hwy 7. You didn't really come this close to Mtn Home without calling the MotoListers didja?