Armacor vs. SuperFabric

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by MrFurious, Dec 9, 2011.

1. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    My one good crash recently suggests that the Kevlar itself caused most of the damage where it rubbed against my skin - basically severe rashing. I still took a lot less damage than I would have otherwise so I'm not complaining about that. To avoid that you'd need an inner layer - getting a bit thick I'd have thought.
    Valentino likes this.
  2. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is why those standard mesh inner liners exist as well - they’re supposed to Reduce friction burns. Does make me wonder about single layer jeans that don’t have em a bit.

Then again, the vast majority of crashes occur <50kph.

Regarding garment failure, this is why you see most higher end leathers use a lapped triple seam in all likely impact areas, and further cover critical slide point seams (upper forearms for instance) with separate reinforcement patches. It’s really interesting to see post-crash analysis looks at racing leathers where guys are crashing and high siding at very high speeds - you can see how the experience these folks get from evaluating their rider’s crashes over and over pays off.

Regarding burns, I know Hideout and Furygan both use a Kevlar patch behind leather but with a inner liner on top. The assumption is also there that all folks wearing full leathers are wearing an inner suit which would give you some thermal spacing & also prevent friction burns.
  3. Valentino

Valentino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you seen Superbikefreaks' investigation into the different brands of leathers? Hideout and Furygan were two of very few that SBF rated fantabulous :thumb

http://www.superbikefreaks.com/leathers-part-2/
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  4. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought it was interesting that the $800 Dainese leather jacket I ordered to try on recently was only ‘AA’ certified.

Id love to wear Furygan - but a big problem I have with Euro leathers (and euro MFRs in general), is that so many of them are just not at all designed for the US temperature ranges. It irks me to no end to see lovely suit after suit that has no provision made for airflow exhausting so you get cooling around the body. When it’s 32+c and also 70%+ humidity, heat is more of a concern then how incredible the leather is.

I think that Kushitani & RS Taichi are the two “best” mfrs of leathers in the world - in that not only do they use unique Japanese leather in their higher end stuff, but both companies perforate well above anybody else, plus are also certified to the MFJ standard which is more stringent then the CE ones.
    Valentino and Peanut_Buttery like this.
  5. Peanut_Buttery

Peanut_Buttery Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That’s like buying a Mercedes, only to discover it had a Lada engine under the bonnet. Which Dainese jacket was it? An ‘AA’ rating is crap for a leather jacket - let alone an $800 one :bluduh
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Super Speed 3. Had the same surprise with the Revit Quantum Air jacket - ‘AA’. I think the 13595 reg May have been more stringent on the abrasion, but the 17092 is far more stringent on seam strength. Dainese had all their upper end suits and jackets certed to 13595.
    Peanut_Buttery likes this.
  7. Valentino

Oddometer:
    How did you manage to find the CE label in a Dainese jacket? It's like trying to spot a needle in an Italian haystack :patch Why does Dainese make spot-the-CE-rating difficult, even when clothing gets a high rating?
  8. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was tucked into a tiny pocket for all the tags, behind the size tag. I think now that they’re doing 17092, the labels are a bit more clear.
  9. Valentino

Oddometer:
    What is Dainese thinking? I read the $4500 Mugello R D-Air race suit only gets an AA rating :muutt

On a positive note, Hideout has launched hot weather gear: Hideout Concept Air jacket and pants :thumb

Is it the safest clothing that's fully-vented for hot weather? The Concept Air – despite its design for the heat – has an abrasion test value of 110 seconds! Independently tested, this abrasion resistance is better than Dainese's most expensive race suit.
  10. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I hate the way it looks. 850 pounds for a mesh jacket is. Well. Insane? I'm not sure it's going to have any realistic advantage in a standard crash then something like a Klim BajaS4. Dainese has a 100% mesh jacket listed at $995 US that I'm extremely interested in seeing details on whenever it actually shows up at vendors.

The Mugello R D-Air does at least have an airbag integrated into the suit. It's more analogous to a $1900 leather suit with build in airbags.
  11. Valentino

Oddometer:
    It's not cheap, that's for sure! But it does show what's possible. Seeing as Hideout has supplied Tom Cruise with leathers, I guess there's a market for it – plus I imagine Hideout's customers in the police might buy the Concept Air for summer.

Having visited Hideout, I know to ignore their website's photography; it makes their gear look awful online. In real life, their stuff looks fantastic! I guess a small company – despite a big reputation – can't afford or doesn't need quality photography.
  12. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mean there's also a reasonable amount of people who bought Klim Adventure Rally suits, or pick up Stadler stuff - however those generally incorporate waterproofing. I think that's the most expensive pure hot weather jacket I've seen, next to maybe the Klim Adventure Rally Air which flopped.
    Valentino likes this.
  13. Valentino

Oddometer:
    Good point.

While you can buy most Hideout stuff in bespoke or off-the-peg sizes, its website says the Concept Air is only available in made-to-measure. Perhaps it exists to show what’s possible (like a concept car at an automobile show)? If you’re buying a bespoke suit, you can ask Hideout for whatever you like: mesh on the back, Hi-Pro on the chest, leather arms, titanium elbow sliders, and an In&Motion airbag – you name it. So, it may help to know what's possible.