Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. 4x4runer

4x4runer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just had a long post for here just get lost in cyberspace. Crappy country internet access reduced me to use my phone. Anyways, was wonering if the 5.5 pro hd would fit me at 5'11 and 130 to 140 lbs. My guess is that it would not get tight enough to stay in place if I needed it to. I saw a post many pages back in this thread about someone stuffing one all the way down but he was 150ish lbs I beleive. I tried drinking more beer to add weight but has doesn't work. Ha. Any thoughts. Cheers
  2. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Cant remember which ones I have, but they are very protective. The klim shorts are more comfortable but dont have real armor. Both are nice. Just make sure you reference the size chart for forcefield. Im 6"2 190 and wear a medium.
  3. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    that's what I like about the tekrider shorts... haven't made 'em in years (though it sounds like they might pick it up again)... hard armor on the hips/lower back/thighs, 1/4" foam on the seat and back of the legs... not so much that it feels like you're wearing a diaper, but hard armor on the sides is real nice to have on ice and dirt.

Another bonus with these is all the armor's removable, makes washing the carrier real easy...

[​IMG]

I usually ride without the thigh pads, they interfere with my knee guards.
  4. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got the Pro (whichever is more expensive) and they feel great! I just have to get a pair of pants one size larger for when I want all the CE pad inserts in. (I think the thighs and hips have 3 layers). I will be testing them out when I ride tomorrow. Do you have any specific question about em?

I also just got forma terrain boots, thor force knee guards and leatt hard armer elbow guards (leatt 5.5 hd pro on the way)
  5. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    how the thigh pad fit with your thor knee guard? Thor shin guard is long, do you put the shin guard inside the boot? How do you like the boot? I'm ordering forma dominator TX boot. Thanks!

K
  6. CementJungle

CementJungle whipping sidewalks

Oddometer:
    a lot of this gear looks great for off-road but the overall quality of protection in a street crash also seems to depend on how you are setting up the shell protection.

From what I have read, a textile with Kevlar or perhaps reinforced leather (like a race suit) give good shell protection..

For those that are riding with pressure suits, chest protectors etc. what are you wearing on top for abrasion protection?
  7. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks for asking cement jungle! I am in need of the same info. As I mentioned I ride 10-30 miles on the road ro get to the off road. Therefor I was looking for protection that would help on both surfaces. I ended up going with forma terrain boots, thor force knee guards, forcefield pad shorts, leatt 5.5 hd pro and helmet and gloves. I just went on a ride yesterday with my kevlar jeans and 3 season touring jacket as my shell and felt very very protected. However it was in the low 70's and after 20 minutes I was soaked with sweat. So I am also looking for an abrasion resistant shell, but one that is mesh or vents like crazy. I am leaning towards the klim mojave line coupled with some sort of stronger mesh jacket on top while on the road (to be removed when getting to trails)

Kavan I will answer when I get to my computer, ivw had enough phone typing :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  8. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    I wear an axo stone, the traverse is also extremely popular. Keep in mindonce you hit the dirt, if speeds are slow and your working, the jacket comes off so you dont want it to bulky so it can pack awy. In my case tge collar and sleeves come off, less to pack away. Pants check out dubinky or klim dakars, great venting but no mesh panels that will shred on pavement.
  9. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm the one that stated 150s, so I'll have to look tonight. For reference, what is your chest and belly measurements?
  10. 4x4runer

4x4runer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll measure later tonight but I wear a 40R jacket. I can wear a 30 inch waist in jeans, pretty flat stomach from lots of mt and road cycling.
  11. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, I think you'd be OK. I'm a 39 R so the chest would be good. You "might" be a touch looser around the stomach than me as I'm a 31-32 waist.
  12. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    They fit in the boot fine, but you do need a wide leg pant for sure. They do over lap with the force field shorts a little but I will let you know how that affects anything when riding this Friday

Boots are super great! Real easy to walk in and comfortable. It is hard to get my boot under the shifter but still had no problems shifting with the side of the boot when I don't have time to position it under the lever. I might have to adjust it if I stop wearing my A/S street boots
  13. nm767

nm767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently in the market for armor. I just recently started riding off road and so far all I have is a helmet and goggles. I did order the TMS Full Body Armor Jacket (basically a fox knockoff ) off amazon but being a cheap Chinese knock off they run extremely small and don't fit. I'm a large guy (6'4" 255 lbs) I ordered the xxxl and it fit about the same as a xl. So my problem is finding armor that fits but doesn't break the bank. I wear either a xl or xxl in all my street jackets and xxl is a little big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  14. 4x4runer

4x4runer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. I'll order it and hope it fits with the intent to trade if it doesn't. Cheers
  15. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem. For more reference, I have mine tightened to the point that when I breath the elastic side straps expand and contract a bit. So you may not get it quite that tight, (and a lot of people don't like that tight feeling), but I'm used to wearing body armor so it seems right to me.

Cheers. :1drink
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Given what we pay for our gear -- and what's at stake, -- erious, objective crash dummy-style testing needs to be done on moto gear. It's all too anecdotal, and we take manufacturers' words for things far too much.
  17. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  18. Gath3r

Gath3r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of what I put on my kids when they first started swimming!
  19. nm767

nm767 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions on gear for us larger people ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  20. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    I am 6'1 250lb...ask me anything nm767! Big legs, go with largest knee guards they got (thor force xxl/xxxl fits me perfect) but don't fit in my boots so I might have to return..forcefield padded xl stretch to fit real good (I am a 40 ish waist).. I got normal size arms for any elbow seemed to fit me fine...my xxl leatt 5.5 is coming in april, I will let u know!

I did just get the klim mojaves. The pro jersey xl is snug in the chest/stomach but baggy in the sleeves anr the 42 pants have decent room in the waist but very very baggy legs...will ip date when I try some more sizes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk