Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. nm767

nm767 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'm 6'4" about 260 with a 40 waist. Only thing I've ordered so far is he cheap tms armor jacket off amazon in the largest size and it's to small. I normally wear a xl on street gear but seems dirt gear is made for normal size people and runs very small

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it depends a lot on where they are manufactured. IE European gear runs smaller than USA gear at least in my minimal of experience. What off road gear are you looking for?
  3. nm767

nm767 Adventurer

Oddometer:

Right now mainly just upper body, like a chest protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Ill let u know how my xxl leatt 5.5 fits in a month when it gets here hopefully

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  5. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2" or 186 cm and 120 kgs.

I went with the Forcefield Pro Shirt in XXL after trying the Leatt Body Protector 3DF Airfit in XXL and the Alpinestars Bionic Pro Jacket in XXL. I'd be wearing the Forcefield Pro Shirt under a jersey in the summer and under a Klim jacket in colder weather.
    I'm very curious about that HRP K-Rib Wrap. I'm wondering how it may or may not integrate with the Forcefield.

Separately, I'm curious about knee braces. I am assuming that knee braces cost a lot more because they protect the knee a lot more than knee guards do. Knee braces seem to cost anywhere between $200-600 USD which is a wide range. Do I just order a few sets from a place with a good return policy and choose the one that fits best?
  6. sophijo

sophijo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not clear to me, from an initial survey of threads like this, that knee braces are a good thing; that is; they may lead to a different set of leg injuries in certain situations........maybe knee\shin protection is the way to go.....don't know!
  7. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that knee braces are best protection if you can afford them. I would think your femur would be alot harder to break than your lower leg, but i suppose it also depends on the rider and terrain etc.. I keep hearing there is nothing wrong with being over protected, as long as its not bulky to the point where it effects your control or uncomfortable where you are distracted.

I simply could not afford knee braces after purchasing street boots, MX boots, kevlar jeans, vented summer pants and jersey, padded under shorts, h20 proof touring jacket (cold weather), mesh summer jacket, elbow guards, chest protector, full face helmet, mx helmet and goggles and summer gloves/winter gloves so I decided to go with high end knee guard instead of brace.

The thor force feels very secure and it large thick plastic with ce impact foam as well, unfortunately they were too large for my forma terrains to close around them. So I ordered some fly racing 5 pivot and I will let you know how those feel.

Once I start riding faster and more challenging terrain I may invest in knee and neck braces but for now I couldn't get em if I wanted to cause im out of money haha :freaky
  8. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    alright get your heckles and laughs out of the way haha newb question comin up...

Would a chest protector like the leatt 5.5 hd pro ( a more bulky protector) go over a jersey or under a jersey. It seems too large to fit easily under most jerseys unless I go one a size or 2 larger than I usually wear.

Thanks for the tips as usual! I will be asking veteran questions before yall know it!:freaky
  9. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New2moto, don't feel bad. I have the same question as noobie. :)

I just got tekvest rally pro, with it shoulder pads, I need a new jacket to wear over for cooler day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  10. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    A knee brace straps onto your leg above and below the knee, the idea being to protect the ligaments and tendons. The soft tissue is easily damaged in certain types of strains, twists, and falls. The large leg bones ideally will take up the force and your knee lives to fight another day. The problem with the braces is that under certain kinds of impact they can put too much force onto your Femur and break it. There is a major artery running along that path that can be severed when the bone snaps and you will bleed out in fairly short order. So some surgeons have said that they'd rather do many ACL repairs than have you bleed to death out in the desert.

It always comes back to how you crash. I've seen stuff on TV that you had to wonder how the guy survived, and he just walked away like nothing happened. And I had a seemingly minor little tip-over that put my ass in the hospital for a week. Yes, I'm more of a pussy than a GOAT. But very few of us are Greatest Of All Time riders and we need some armor. But Everywhere? That shit just gets hot and heavy!
  11. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 5.5 HD pro will fit over or under a jersey just fine, in fact if you read on Leatt's web site it says that when talking about using a neck brace with it, too. My XXL jerseys fit over the 6.5 just fine, but most of the time I wear the 5.5 over the jersey, because it is easier to get on and off quickly that way during longer breaks.
  12. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Makes sense, thanks all!

I also think I finally found some knee guards that are comfortable, protective and allow my boot to fit fine.... although mighty pricey.

The forcefield zues [​IMG]

But they dont come all the way to the boot...probably fine right?

I tried the thor force (2 sizes), fly 5 pivot and the troy lee tbone and all were either too large in the shin for my boot or not comfortable, or both

The zues seem to be very breathable, the coolest of all I tried, most comfortable, lightest but come with less protection and not hard armor, the armor it has seems very protective for what it is though

Do you think there is any reason to keep the thor force around instead of returning them? although they do not fit my current boots they are the perfect fit for my leg and looks like the max protection before going to a brace. Could be used with my street boots for on road protection of knee and shin since my klim mojave pants don't have knee guards. Although these forcefield feel like they would hold up on pavement, the thor force are obviously way more protective. Also could be used with my adventure boots when I get some in the next few years...I figured prices might go up by then and I would also be paying shipping to return it

I am now protected to my liking and can't wait to get my bike back from 600 mi check up tomorrow!!! :freaky
  13. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you take a hit in the space between the bottom of your Forcefield pad and the top of your boot- you have nothing. My hard knee pads go into the top of my boots so I have no gaps. I've taken some hard whacks on my legs from my footpegs when falling over. To me you're very exposed in an important place.

But maybe you won't fall like I do?
  14. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    What guards do you use? after 3 trys with hard plastic w/ shin protection I gave up on finding one that was both comfortable and slim enough to fit into my boot. the fly5pivots just barely fit but were not comfortable for me at all and the thor were great on the leg but no way they were fitting in my boot :cry I am just tired of paying to return! Any leads on low profile, comfortable knee protection that connects with most mx height boots would be greatly appreciated!

I am hoping my luck is better than to get hit in the only inch of unprotected leg...but that's probably what will happen.

I think I am gonna keep the forcefield unless several others protest due to the exposed inch. I will use them for most mellow riding but I still would like a heavy duty knee and shin combo like the thor force but obviously they are worthless if I can't close and clasp my boot

Help! haha :freaky
  15. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with motoinmoab, you are leaving yourself unnecessarily exposed at the shin, but I won't protest...it's your choice.

I wear these, inexpensive and fit inside my Sidi Adventures with no problem. Once on I never notice them again, and they have a few nicks and scrapes where they've done their job.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/829/11335/Thor-Quadrant-Knee-Guards-2014

I bought them after reading a review on them at WebBikeWorld.

Edit: they are fairly small, I can get regular jeans over them.
  16. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    I am a larger guy and have been finding that most 'adult' or one size fits most sizes are just a tad too small in the thigh strap mostly. I really wish I had a store near me that carried this stuff ( i say for the 1,000th time haha)

my boots (forma terrain) already fit in the calf pretty snug cause of my larger than avg calves i suppose so I am hesitant to get anything with much shin protection past where the boot goes but I WOULD like to have my whole shin and knee covered

any more suggestions would be appreciated! Also if you could take a profile shot of your guard if u get a chance I would greatly appreciate it!
  17. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crossover Tekvest has arrived! :wings

Waiting on the dryer, then throw the rest of my clothes in my bag and i'm out for a few days of riding (sled), then off to the Jackson hillclimbs.
    Won't have the opportunity to ride with it on the moto for a while (-needs- an engine rebuild) but I'll get a few days in it this weekend to see how it works.
  18. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Here are some pics, hope that helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  19. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Thanks dude! It did, you just saves me some return shipping cause I think they would be too large to clasp my boot...

Damn things are made for skinny Italian legs and I got big ole' American calves haha

I think I will wear these zues's for the sweltering summer as they are probably the coolest on the market, I would be very surprised to find some that were as cool in the heat
  20. coyote223

coyote223 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a believer in armor also. I was wearing the Acerbis Koerta when a deer took me down on the pavement. That thing saved me from some serious road rash. Didn't protect me from all road rash, but the worst of it for sure. Now I always protection,,,:evil