Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Scandi

Scandi n00b

Oddometer:
    This speed and strength looks like it has some rib protection.......anyone who bought it ??
    Im going on my first offroad tour next summer to Norway, and I cant decide if I should wear seperate knee protectors or armored pants ??
  2. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got one earlier this year and I like it. Not much experience to go on, but it is super adjustable for all sizes and def seems super sturdy. I know its a little heavier than most but it breathes pretty well and makes u feel very protected
  4. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been wearing one since the spring. I find I wear it more than my pressure suit. Here's a crappy crop of the 5.5 HD under an Ogio vest a couple weeks ago in the Moab area. If the vest had a bit more ventilation this set up would be perfect for me.

Attached Files:

5. Vexible

Vexible n00b

Oddometer:
    Anybody have experience with Velocity Gear? Are they as good as they claim to be?

From their site :

Lifetime Warranty
    Our mission at Velocity Gear is to provide top quality protective apparel at an outstanding value for the motorcycling community. We back our mission with Lifetime Manufacturing Warranties on all of our products. In addition, we offer a half price replacement plan that rewards customers for coming back, a.k.a. our Lifetime Half Price Replacement Guarantee on all products.

No long-winded legal jargon, no fine print and no games...

We are entirely confident in our products, and want you to feel that confidence too. All manufacturing and workmanship defects are covered. We want you to enjoy this passion we share, instead of worrying about your gear.

If you are unhappy with any in stock item, use our Return and Exchange Policy. Let us know why you want to return or exchange an item, and we will do our best to help.
  6. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one and like it. I haven't had an a bad "off" while wearing it, just and elbow hit. It was hard enough I'm really glad I had the armor on. I find it pretty comfortable. The only dig I have is no rib protection. After wearing my Leatt this last year, I like knowing I have a bit more protection on the sides. But it's all personnal preference.

Pressure suits, which is what the Juggernaut is, can be hot with a shirt and other stuff over. The VG Jugg has pretty larger mess holes which I like. I have ridden wearing it with no jersey over the suit in really hot weather.

Not sure if their production times have been fixed. There times swing like a pendulum as far as receiving times. I did not experience any issues, but I also didn't order a week or two out from a trip and therefore didn't expect it right away either. There is a thread in the vendors room about VG.
  7. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have to thank you all. I will be one step away from a Storm trooper but I will be safer.

I am aiming for the Leatt 5.5 Body Protector with GPX 5.5 Neck Brace.

Asterisk cell knee brace.

All to go with the Tech 7s I already have.

Thanks ladies and gents the info is still working.:happay
  8. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

As long as your on the plastic the abrasion resticance is good.....everywhere else, none.

scott
  9. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do any of you remove the spine protector and just use it for chest, arms, and shoulder protection?

I often think about removing the back/spine protector but never do.
  10. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    The amount of protection you want to wear is your decision. If you land on your back you'll wish you had something there. I wonder why I wear a helmet because of all the times I've fallen off I've never hit my head. Helmets are sooo expensive, my wife wonders why I spend so much protecting something I never use. :freaky
  11. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i sometimes ride with a guy who does that.

i think it's nuts.

your spine is probably the most important thing to protect other than maybe your head. personally, other than a helmet, the spine protector is the last piece of armor i would get rid of.
  12. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't remember where I read it but a study of motorcycle crash injuries stated that very few back injuries were from direct force impacts. They were nearly all due to twisting forces. Actually makes some sense but I still use my back protector. I have hit the pavement before and wear all the protection I can.

Russ
    Tucson
  13. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    I've been using a pressure suit for a while now - predominantly on-road - for the very simple reason that it's the only armour I've found that fits me. Every jacket I tried on the armour was either in the wrong place or simply too loose - The RP2 was a prime example - the armour's excellent quality but there's no way it'd stay in place in the event of an off. Same with my HG mesh jacket and my HG leather - the pressure suit not only gives me the security but, as a bonus, it came with a reasonable back protector - and I'm got a lot more flexibility in terms of jacket/jersey or even "commando".
  14. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    interesting. having landed back-first on my share of rocks and logs, my guess is that study focused solely on street, and maybe (paved) track, riding. but, who knows?

i wear it on pavement all the time, too. it's actually less of a PIA on pavement since i'm generally moving fast enough to keep up some air flow and it doesn't get too hot. and the apparently rare direct force impact on your spine can be life altering (or ending).

but, to each his own.
  15. russbryant

russbryant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it was a study of street crashes. Kinda forgot the focus of this thread is on offroad armor...been a while since I have been on this thread.

I ended up getting the Forcefield Adventure Harness Extreme after reading this thread and other research. My plan was to use it on the street too but so far I have not. Truth be told, I have done very little riding of any kind this past year.

Russ
    Tucson
  16. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a vicious high side get off a few weeks ago at the BYOB in Matewan, WV. We were on our way back to camp, riding on a access hard pack dirt road and it happened so fast! My rear washed, I tried to correct and then the high side. I knew what was happening so I tucked my right arm in and that is all I remember. I landed on my right side, shoulder and my head hit the ground hard.

I was wearing a Fox Titan pressure suit and I must say it did very well but did not protect my ribs or I don't think it did. When I tucked in my arm, my elbow pushed into my ribs. I separated my ribs and fractured a few. The rib separation is much more painful than the brake. I was knocked out for a few moments and it took me some time to recover while laying on the trail. I separated my AC joint, sustained a concussion, a nasty hematoma on my hip and some road rash on my forearm due to the armor digging in and twisting around. I had on Klim padded shorts and Do3 hip armor in my Klim pants. I can't imagine what the outcome may have been if I had not been wearing good protective gear.

I often thought to myself when put on my pressure; this thing needs more rib protection; now I am convinced. At the time I felt it was the best protection offered and I still think it is a very good pressure suit.

I like the Leatt 5.5 HD Pro but it felt heavy to me so I''m left researching.
  17. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend bought this Leatt:
    http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-prot...body-hard-shell-adult/body-protector-5-5.html
    It has super protection and is comfortable but he said it's too hot for Moab in the summer.

The other great looking Leatt is the 3DF Airfit:
    http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-prot...ody-soft-adult/body-protector-3df-airfit.html
    but I'm not sure how fully it protects the ribs? I haven't tried one on, stores don't stock this stuff.

My elbow armor on my Pressure Suit is what punched out my ribs. I didn't break my elbow, so at least it did that part right.
  18. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    most pressure suits offer little rib protection.

it's a bit of a tradeoff for not being unbearably hot, i think.

a lot of guys who want more rib protection seem to like the tekvests. you might want to look into those.

sorry to hear about your get off. at least your injuries, while painful, are the kind you recover from. good luck with the recovery.
  19. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, it is a tradeoff to an extent. I know from years of riding, going on 40 now, good gear is a must. My body does not recover like it did 25 years ago and I stay active. I though about having supplemental rib protection along with the Fox pressure suit. Exploring those options now. However, my Fox is no longer usable, it took a beating.
  20. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 5.5proHD felt heavy compared to a full pressure suit? I'd say the opposite. My Leatt is a lot lighter than my suit. What suit are you running?