Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fox Titan. Yes, to me it felt heaver but that was by holding it. I did not try it on. Granted it was soaked with sweat but it could have added that much weight.
  2. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. EnduroAmerica

EnduroAmerica YouTube.com/enduroamerica

Oddometer:

I recently purchased the Titan Jacket from Fox and love it. Sometimes I don't even wear an undershirt. Keeps me cool and fully protected.
  4. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    I used the Fox Titan on the MX track on my, uh yes, 690 on an extremely hot day. It was doable and worked very well.
  5. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. backpain

backpain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's also about knowing/deciding how to hit the hard stuff when down - while relying on your armor strong points.

I went down recently - on downhill rocks with a ledge on one side. Front washed out and I instantly went down, off the bike, in full frontal fashion. Not wanting to break wrist or arms and knowing I had good back protection, it was rather natural to hit and roll onto my back, skidding to a stop facing the sky. (We had just discussed the eve before - crashing the right way - so I was lucky this was fresh in mind) My palms took some impact before I shot my arms out and rolled, letting the elbow pads, shoulders and back do their job.

Without back protection this could have been very dangerous over jagged rocks. Without rolling onto my back I probably would have broken a wrist or arm or face.

The back protection was critical to my success - and this wasn't a wad up or tuck and roll, looping or traditional on your back get off.

The back pack helped a little, too :)
  7. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    ^^ yep.

tuck and roll. chin pinned against your chest.

so you roll across your back to spread out the impact...and then having good back protection is obviously critical.

how to fall correctly is one of the first things you learn in judo or wrestling. i wrestled for many years, and it is 2nd nature to me. for those to whom it is not second nature, taking a few judo lessons just to learn how to fall correctly might be a very good idea.

saved me again in a hare scramble last sunday. it was a wide open, fast course and crazy dusty and you literally could not see 2 feet in front of you at times. at one point, going about 50 mph, i just suddenly found myself supermanning over the bars. never even saw whatever i hit (probably a rut). i instinctively sucked my chin into my chest, tucked my torso, and started rolling while in the air. landed on the back of my shoulder and rolled across my back. shook my up a little, but i did not actually get injured at all. if i had stuck out an arm, i undoubtedly would have broken something. if i had landed face-first, i shudder to think of what would have happened. i didn't land on any rocks or logs or anything...just grass and dirt...so i probably would have been OK without back protection in this case, but i was still very happy to have it just in case.
  8. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rodeo's pretty good at teaching you that too. :deal
    mutt550 likes this.
  9. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    heh. yeah, i imagine so!
  10. Mabus

Mabus n00b

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

11. motoinmoab

Oddometer:
    Finally the human/armadillo morph is complete.
  12. mantree

mantree Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine has sholder and elbow but that mesh still feels better than skin on the road

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  13. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    Been wearing a 5.5 HD Pro every ride for 9 or 10 months (due to this thread). My EXC is my only transportation, so I ride pretty much every day, including a cross country ride and a few north/south trips along the coast in the Leatt 5.5 HD Pro.

I had a piece of the plastic on it, in the front where the neck brace slot is, tear on me, so I just warrantied it at the retailer I purchased it from. They actually gave me a store credit. I had the opportunity to replace it with something else.I decided on buying another 5.5 Pro HD. I want the rib protection. Wouldn't feel comfortable without it now.

I wear it on and off road, over a Dakar Pro jersey or over my jacket. Easier to take off at stops/upon arrival. I got it in white for more conspicuity and cooler in the sun.

I wear it with an Atlas Air neck brace and Leatt 3DF elbow guards. Kali Shiva helmet on the way.
    docjekyll2002 likes this.
  14. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Upgrading my kit for some adventures this summer and need a bit of help deciding on a route to go. Primary mission is riding my KTM 690 from Michigan to California, and then from Seattle to Alaska (Alcan 5000) and back. So a lot of road, with some minor off-road excursions thrown in. I do a lot of off-road/enduro riding (and crashing), and have separate gear for that.

My current "adventure" gear consists of the 1st generation Klim Traverse suit, and while it's extremely versatile I'm not 100% happy with it's padding placement (safety) and long distance comfort (general looseness). I got it many years ago because it was the only jacket offering GoreTex and Cordura at an affordable price. I'm hoping that newer and slightly less offroad oriented jackets solve some of these issues.

So I'm debating whether I should...
    Go buy the Klim Carlsbad or Lattitude suit. Upgrade the armor to CE Level 2 on the jacket. Wear my offroad armor or get some Leatt 3DF knee pads in the pants.
    ...or...
    Get a Leatt Airfit 3df and wear it under the Traverse Gear.

While the second option seems obvious because of the high level of protection and lower cost, I have two concerns:
    * In my mind, having gear that maximizes my comfort (and hence the ability to ride well) is as critical as its level of protection. Being slightly less comfortable over a long distance significantly increases my chances of actually having a crash because it's distracting, hot, and generally makes you a worse rider. I like the saying "Motorcycles, like airplanes, don't crash well". I've never crashed at highway speeds (knock on wood), but I've wrecked off road many many times.... and even a 10mph low speed wreck seems to sometimes overwhelm quality off-road armor.
    * Is a pressure suit going to get entirely too gross on a 10-20 day ride? Not that a jacket won't experience a similar problem, but it's a bit further from the skin.

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I'm going to bump it instead of starting a new one, as it has a lot of good info.
    CKloed likes this.
  15. motoinmoab

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider about a pressure suit vs a jacket is that you can easily take off the jacket when you stop. You can easily vent a good jacket when the temps change on you. And a jacket is fairly easy to clean when you pull out the CE2 back pad.

I always wear a t-shirt under my pressure suit, that takes the worst of the sweat. It can be hard to find a sink big enough to rinse a full pressure suit in, especially on the road. The better pressure suits usually have decent rib armor now, they didn't when I first started this post. I've not seen rib armor in any coat.

I wear this when wearing an armored coat off road:
    http://www.hrpsports.com/K-Rib-Wrap-p/72.htm
    It's not fancy but is very comfortable. It also acts as a kidney belt and back support for me. The coverage on my lower ribs is A LOT better than nothing, but not like a Leatt.
  16. CKloed

CKloed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It sounds like you will be doing a lot of road miles.
    If you are not too concerned about the expense of buying a new kit I think that you would be pretty happy with aomething like a Latitude suit.

There is something to be said about just using what you have. And I am sure you would be just fine.
    But if you are going to buy a new (or even better, scoop something used up from the flea market) I would make sure to buy a jacket and pants that have some sort of straps by the knee / elbow armor.
    I bought a new Carlsbad jacket last year and a used pair of badlands pants from an inmate.
    The reason why I decided against the Carlsbad pants was that they had no way to cinch down the knee armor.

I hope I am interpreting your concern of “armor placement” correctly. I sure had that concern.

I think for slower, more technical off-road riding the combination of armor on body with extra abrasion layer that can be removed if necessary is the right option.

For long distance trips with many road miles I personally would go for merino baselayer and full integrated suit.

More importantly, enjoy your trip! That sounds amazing!!!

If you come through Portland come say hi :)
  17. kainam00

Oddometer:
    I think pants are easier because wearing off-road knee protectors is a lot less "intrusive". You're likely not going to take your pants on and off all day, and knee armor doesn't take up much space vs. a full blown pressure suit. I also wear a knee brace when riding off-road (ACL surgery last year), but I'm not sure whether I want to wear it on the road (I usually don't). Since they work by bracing against larger bones of your body, I can see it pretty much guaranteeing a broken femur or similar in a higher speed impact. I can ride out of the bush on a sprained knee, but not a broken femur :p

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think that armor in the jacket should be fine for me. Given properly shaped armor, even in the very loose Traverse, I have little doubt that the first impact will be covered. After that, I think it might be a crapshoot anyway... I have a huge gash in my forearm right now from where my gnarly offroad Leatt pressure suit elbow guard should have been. There is also the question of CE levels - most off-road limb armor is CE level 1.
  18. Tipmethewink

Tipmethewink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear the 3DF under the Traverse kit and don't really know I've got it on. I have a wicking layer under the armour and wear a jersey over it with the jacket as a waterproof if needed. I've high sided on the road (wasn't wearing the jacket) coming down on my elbow hard enough to break the skin (friction with the armour, not abrasion with the road) and only a small hole in the Klim Moave Jersey. I have worn it for 9 days straight whilst rough camping and I don't think I smelled too badly at the end of it. I can attest to it's waterproofness too, staying completely dry after 200 miles of heavy rain. I'd go the same route again if I had to replace it.
  19. kainam00

Oddometer:
    That's great feedback, thank you @Tipmethewink ! You have the full 3DF suit (CE2 chest/back + shoulders and elbows), right?

After trying on a bunch of new Klim gear at the local shops, regardless or price, nothing really excited me. In fact it was kind of disappointing... I really like Klim and was looking to add to my collection. Maybe it's because I've grown attached to it, but it I like my old Traverse better than the newer stuff in terms of materials, fit, and features. Testament to their longevity I guess... good for me, not so good for Klim ;)

Anyway, based on this, I'm going to go the pressure suit + my old traverse route.
  20. Tipmethewink

Tipmethewink Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, the full 3DF. It has weak points at the top of the breast plate and doesn't wrap around your ribs like the Leatt 5.5 apparently does but for all day comfort in warm temperatures I really rate it. And the traverse jacket wraps up pretty small and I only wear it if it's cold or wet, it goes in with my tools on the back of the bike otherwise.
    kainam00 likes this.