Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I very much like the 3DF as well though upgraded to a Tekvest after a crash that I was only wearing my Klim Blade Jacket. I did not receive any chest, rib, shoulder, etc injuries but I do not want to gamble with that again. Unfortunately combining the Tekvest with a my Atlas Air Neckbrace means it goes over the outside of a jacket unless I acquire the Leatt GPX 5.5 or other similar compatible jacket.
    kainam00 likes this.
  2. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went down a couple weeks ago after losing a battle with a wet hill climb and a tree. I was wearing a Leat 5.5, not the pro. It saved my back, but not my ribs lower back right side. I’m grateful that it saved my back, but every time I cough I think I should look into something that will protect my sides better and wishing I had chosen the 5.5 pro HD.
    MTBRALPH and Tipmethewink like this.
  3. guavadude

guavadude Dirt Nap Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the Astars A10 chest protector with side rib panels. Seems to be less bulky and might breathe better than the Leatts but I haven't crashed tested, yet.
  4. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Recently busted a rib riding in Baja. I was wearing my Forcefield EX-K Adventure harness. Came down hard on some rocks. I definitely felt the dull blunt force against my side. I am sure without any rib armor, I would have busted a few more ribs. I was riding my WR250R. I am now looking for a standalone chest and rib armor to wear with my normal conventional riding jackets and bigger bikes.

My Forcefield EX-K review:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/forcefield-ex-k-harness-flite-plus-klim-badlands-armor.1112020/

Souvenir from recent Baja trip. If you ride off-road, highly recommend rib protection.
    IMG_9017.JPG
  5. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That armor doesn't have any hard plastic in it does it?

My current dual sporting setup is a Leatt Airfit under a 1st gen Klim traverse. I've "sent it" over the handlebars at low speed in my 690, hitting my chest on the mirror on the way down - very sore the next few days, but no broken bones. I'm sure the outcome would have been different if not for the thin layer of hard plastic on the chest piece of the Leatt. Not that the Leatt has any proper rib protection to speak of, just thinking that hard plastic is probably needed to disperse the sort of impacts that bust ribs.

I'm sure it's been said in this thread already, but motorcycles are like airplanes - they don't crash well, no matter how much passive safety you build in. I think that on a being comfortable (i.e. not too hot, cold, bothered by gear) is arguably more important to injury protection than any padding you can put on your body. I've noticed that when riding agressive offroad (i.e. crashes are guaranteed), I almost never crash when I'm fresh and cool, but will repeatedly crash if I'm hot and panting.

As such I've been slowly shedding weight, and am considering going to a more layered approach so I only need to wear the gear that I need for that specific trail. If I wear the gear to tackle 100% of the conditions 100% of the time just means that I'm wearing extra gear 100% of the time.
    Elderber, dragos and GF-kam like this.
  6. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the Alpinestars A8 for 4 years and now the Alpinestars A10 for 2 years. They protect great from most bruising however I just proved that you're still vulnerable. 4th gear crash in Laos; 8 broken ribs, collarbone and scapula. The coverage is good on the design but by no means keeps you safe from all your stupidity.
    DCrider and GF-kam like this.
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:

Sorry to hear about your extensive injuries despite descent armor.

My recent experience just reminds me that we can get complacent with our gear when we don't have an incident for years. We keep peeling away gear because the gear is too uncomfortable, too hot, too bulky, or too heavy. But, it only takes the next incident to " snap " us back to reality; no pun intended. Then we wonder how much more extensive the injuries could have been without protection. I am now considering a stand alone rib cage protector and neck brace for everyday adventure touring riding.

The reality is, we can only minimize abrasion and impact force with body armor. But, we cannot eliminate one hundred percent of all injuries at all situations or speeds.
  8. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Being in good riding shape can certainly help to mitigate if not prevent certain injuries. I know that when I am in shape and flexible with a good range of motion my body respond much better to trauma and heals much quicker. My newest riding set up is Klim Badlands pants, a Leatt 3Df Airfit, a Leatt 5.5 neck brace, and an Adventure Spec Atacama race jacket. Hopefully I won’t have to find out how well it works this summer!
  9. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suppose being young and double jointed prevents injuries :hmmmmm

[​IMG]
    patrick2wd likes this.
  10. patrick2wd

patrick2wd pop-pop-pop-pop-etc.

Oddometer:
    had the 3DF and liked it... however, was too tight.. (Im a big bloke) and pretty warm..
    now looking for something similar and bigger.. 3/4xl, and something that doesnt get that warm/ hot....

ideas... anyone?
    huguesfrederic likes this.