Armor- What I learned after the crash

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by motoinmoab, Jul 4, 2011.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    How bout here: http://www.amazon.com/Leatt-5-5-Pro-Chest-Protector/dp/B00FZHEKAO
  2. New2Moto

New2Moto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention I need xxl...that's the size that seems out everywhere

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  3. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    Got my 5.5 HD Pro XXL a month ago from WholesaleMX via Amazon, same price as everybody else. In hand, it looks to be all as advertised - substantial rib coverage, vastly more than the 5.5 pro. As usual, there's snow on the ground again (9" last nite) so no ride/no test yet. Look a few pages back in this thread for detailed pix.
  4. RRM707

RRM707 Yeah, whatever...

Oddometer:
  5. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    Ya it does look like it has some roost rib protection, but if It doesn't connect to the back panel I would image not as much impact protection..from speculation.

AND after searching high and low I finally found a website with a xxl 5.5 left in stock http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/leatt-5-5-pro-hd-xxl-chest-protector/3007-501410-1103.aspx

I am sorry if I got the last one :lol3
  6. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Motoinmoab, I'm sure you seen my question. It took 2 days to appear in the thread so it mix up with the 2 days posts. After seeing the above Youtube, Tekvest Rally Max and neck brace will give me good protection.

How do you protect lower parts of the body? thanks!

K.
  7. bluedog52

bluedog52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that's 95F+ summer attire :rofl
  8. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    I chose the lighter weight TekVest Freestyle because I already have the Moto X Vest, which is heavier and more like the Rally Max that you're purchasing. I was looking for something a little lighter weight for certain days. I don't wear a neck brace. There is a point where you just have to stop layering or you won't be able to move, much less ride anymore. All armor choices are a gamble, and when I got to it taking me 1/2 hour to get dressed and dripping sweat, I almost sold my bike.

For my knees I wear D3O for mostly street oriented dual sport riding and for technical dirt I have hard shelled pads by 661 that are no longer made. I used to wear knee braces by Asterisk but found them too uncomfortable and always slipping. I've read written opinions by doctors that knee braces cause greater injuries than they protect you from, so there's that too. Sidi MX boots fit me better than anything else and they're more comfortable to walk in.

To all of this: YMMV
    :freaky
  9. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi motoinmoab, Thank for answering all my questions and help me decide on riding gears.. :-)

K..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  10. New2Moto

Oddometer:
    In that snow mobile vid is he wearing neck protection or just the tak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  11. OSULemon

OSULemon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a speed demon, but the trails that are closest to me are extremely rocky, anywhere from baseball sized rocks and up. I had a get-off in January that fractured my wrist but didn't cause any other injuries. I've since ordered knee guards and elbow guards, but I'm not sure if I want to spring for the $500 TekVest quite yet. I'm hoping a hard chest protector off Craigslist will give me adequate protection for the slower speeds that I'm doing.
  12. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    OSULemon- Fast rider or slow, it just depends on how you land. All the armor in the world won't help prevent a broken collarbone if you're prone to putting your hands out to catch yourself. And if you land on your piece of padded armor, cheap or expensive hardly matters, just as long as you land on it and not in the gaps where it has nothing.

I've tried and tried again but I'm just not very skilled at landing on my armor. I'm great at landing where it isn't. Or on my own elbow, which punches holes in your rib cage if there's no armor right there.

This guy has got it all figured out! Is this for sale on CraigsList?

[​IMG]
  13. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No neck brace in that vid, though they're required for ISR/ISOC events as of the 12-13 season. Most recent tekvests (not the ones in that video) are compatible with most neck braces. The newest line of vests has velcro tabs allowing you to disconnect the shoulder from the chest to get into and out of the vest with a neck brace on easier.

Tekvests kick ass. :nod
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been reading up on Motoport Air mesh kevlar jacket and pant with good armors http://www.motoport.com/ . Testimonies are very impressive, http://www.motoport.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38:what-others-say-about-motoport&catid=1:articles&Itemid=22 a lot crashes high speed 70mph more crash. and everyone seem to walk away without any injury and very little damage on jacket and pant.

Tekvest cover upper body only, still need get elbow and lower body protections. Motoport jacket and pant armors cover 64% of the body including chest and rib cage. For 4 seasons Riding Gear (depending what options) $1200-$1800. :eek1

Decision, decision, decision....

K.
  15. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Keep in my mind that all those "testimonials" are anecdote, and motorport has no independent certification to verify the claims made. I got sucked in by the hyperbole of tge website and owned motoport, but not for long. The armor is not as protective as the tekvest or 5.5, or even my bionic 2. As far as lower body close fitting armored shorts and seperate knee, something like the 3df, would be better as it will not move in an off.

Im mainly speaking to offroad as thats what this thread is mostly concerned with, the motoport is not cut correctly and the armor is insufficient for offroad in my exprrience with the product.
  16. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good point! It's very convincing when over 100 pages thread just for Motoport. Tell me your experience with both Jacket and Pant, why didn't you like them and how long do you own them? I have Revi't Defender Jacket doesn't have chest and rib protector and Pant, am seriously thinking of replacing them.

What protection do you use for your off roading or dual sport? Thank you in advance...

K.
  17. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    The biggest problem for me was the armor moved every time I hit the dirt. The armor covers a lot but not in a form fitting way. The jacket is definately resistant to abrasion, but it was never a comfortable jacket. Others, obviously with the big thread, have had a different experience, so take it for what it is: my experience.

Currently i have spidi ergo for my do everything jacket and find it very comfortable and versatile, but it is pricey. It does well for both pavement and a mix of pavement and dirt, and I have crashed hard in this jacket in the dirt and the armor stayed put. If I would have had the same off in my motoport my arm would have needed hospital attention. Elbow armor always moved on me when I hit the ground.

For offroad/dirt oriented dual sport Im still experimenting. Dakar pants are great but the Dubinky look very good as well. Leatt dual axis knee gaurds work great for me but would not work for someone who is not slender. Might try the 3df knee and elbow gaurds and 5.5 pro combo as my bionic2 is pretty bulky and I would like rib protection. I should note yhe bionic 2 has performed well protection wise, but its pretty warm. I wear the axo stone for dirt oriented dual sport, works well. Offers some protection for pavement and zipoff sleeves and collar for ventilation in slow stuff. I have both the forcefield and klim armored shorts and like em both. I definately feel that separate knee gaurds and shorts offer the best protection that wont move. I use them for street as well.
  18. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank for your reply! I'm looking at forcefield under short as well, couldn't decide on Pro or sport. Which one you have? Which armored shorts do you prefer?

K.
  19. dazler

dazler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How do the leatt 3df knee guard compare to the forcefield strap on. Comfort bulky?

Also anyone used the icon Stryker I saw on their video it say not for off road wondering why. They look nice and drives say they are not to bulky for under riding jean
  20. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider regarding pull on or tube sleeve type knee/shin protection is what you might be wearing under them. Sometimes you need long john style base layer to keep warm. So, strapons always get my vote. (Ok. Probably should have phrased that differently).