1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2. Dismiss Notice

Armstrong to Pickle Lake

Discussion in 'Americas' started by John F, Feb 24, 2020.

1. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there any way to get from Armstrong Ontario to Pickle Lake Ontario without retreating all the way to Route 17 and riding through Thunder Bay?
  2. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Lappe, ON Coldest, wettest place...well not quite!
    No, too many lakes and rivers...no roads connect all the way!
    joe a likes this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    During winter freeze-up there is a possibility of running snowmobiles between the two . Horrors!! Tooooooooo cold
  4. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Where does the pavement end on the way up past Pickle Lake? Does it end at Pickle Lake and it’s gravel the rest of the way?

And does anybody have any info on the road from Windigo Lake to Lake Weagamow? The bridge was only put in a couple years ago, so I suspect the summer road is quite young. Has anybody done it on a bike yet?
  5. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    sure, you can get over to 599, but you're crossing both Crown and First Nations lands on the logging roads, and you'll have to use the rail grade numerous times, and they won't like that either. bring a pacboat for the moto, plan on spending lots of time. there are some little used landings east of Savant Lake and west of Armstrong that would get you part way.

i've flown over that area numerous times, and there's a huge matrix of logging roads in there, but there's also lakes and rivers. i've used rail to get as far as the Flindt River, there's a fishing lodge right at the bridge.
  6. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Ya, the road turns to good gravel past Pickle and all the way to Windigo...Windigo is the furthest I've been, there was to road any further when I went years ago! Good Luck on Your adventures!
  7. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just spoke with a woman at the OPP detachment in Pickle Lake. She says the road has been paved 15 km (or was that 50 km???) past Pickle Lake. Now that the summer road has been opened up to Lake Weagamow, there's "a lot more traffic" past Pickle Lake. The new section of summer road from Lake Windigo to Lake Weagamow should be easily done on a big ADV bike by anybody with any competence. There is gas in Lake Weagamow, but no premium other than the price, and limited hours (I assume 9:00-3:00 is safe). There's a family living at the ghost town at Stirland Lake that welcomes people dropping in to say hi and check the place out, and they've been known to sell gas to passersby.

Tentatively, my buddies and I will be gassing up in Lake Weagamow on Aug 31, or thereabout.
  8. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    That sounds cool! How far from Windigo to Weagamow? I think it was 250kms from Pickle to Windigo when I went years ago. Been to Stirland but would love to video...just took photos last time. When You going, might be interested if you're looking for company!
  9. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it’s about 30-35 miles from Windigo to Weagamow. Virtually all of that has been a winter road for years, but now that they built a bridge at the narrows on Lake Weagamow it’s been turned into an all-weather road. A lot of people are driving it, so I would assume it’s in better condition than the Inuvik-Tuk road that first season.
    Lappeman likes this.
  10. Whatnoise

Whatnoise Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. John F

John F Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I’d have to stud my tires, too.