Around Europe in 80 days - the next Edventure - showing the world is a friendly place

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 29, 2018.

1. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity

Oddometer:
    Excellent. More Edventure. :lurk
  2. danmurphymn

danmurphymn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have an idea of where you'll be and when?
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Blue is my favorite color. So I am excited to have a blue bike.
    And I have been to Priorat and Monsant. But there are many regions that I still am looking forward to visiting.
    I tried this wine this week. This is one of the best wines I have ever had. It is from Costers del Segre - Catalan Pyrenees. Beg borrow or steal to taste this one
    [​IMG]
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    How about a rain check?. I am already back in the LA area waiting for my flight.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am going to be in Hungary and the surrounding area most of the time. But in August , we plan to do a much bigger tour of Europe. But I am not sure which direction at this point. Perhaps the Balkins.
    Foiler likes this.
  6. Sifox

Sifox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For sure man. I thought you were leaving tomorrow morning. Enjoy your flight and can’t wait to read about your Edventure
  7. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  8. Archie Adv

Archie Adv Celtic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Balkans.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
  9. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. Best wishes for the both of you on this leg of the Edventure.
  11. Vtrrookie

Vtrrookie Look it's that orange Guy!!

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check regional holidays in August. I didn't and last year on my Dolomites tour (Northern Italy) and all the big mountain passes where clogged up with cars, busses and campervans.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  12. danmurphymn

danmurphymn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ooooh. I'll be in Romania (Sfantu Gheorgh) visiting my wifes family from August 8th - 23rd. I couldn't line up any speaking gigs for you in Minnesota which was probably my best chance at meeting you. Small world that we'll be in the same area. I vote you riding through Romania first!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  13. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vegas, LA, Budapest... Lalo, sometime when you're not busy, can you give us a lesson on how to find cheap flights to various places? You always seem to find the round-about way to your destination for the least cost. Do you use a particular search tool to find the cheapest flights that make up your flight segments?

Thanks,
    Walt
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I spend about half a day trying to find the lowest cost way to get to my destination. I use Skyscanner, Kayak and search tools like that. That helps me get an idea what are the lowest prices that may be available. But then I try to piece together the flights myself. Like last year, I found a cheap flight to Paris from LA for only $250. And then I booked my onward flights separately. That saved me quite a lot of money. The ticket companies like Kayak don't always know or piece together the least expense way to get to your destination.
    This time I did my search and then booked my flight directly thru the airline. Flying Round Trip was actually less than flying one way - which is the case a lot of the time. I am also flexible with the dates. You can pay considerably less if you look at different dates around the time you plan to fly. In my case, the day I am flying was 50% less than any other day this week.
    I also check to see what my total flight cost will be including luggage. Some airlines charge for luggage and some don't.
    And then I check the airlines and which one is best. For example, it was slightly more for me to fly on Japan Airlines but it was a much nicer experience. They even gave me a glass of Salon Champagne when I ask if I can have some even though it was reserved for first class passengers only.
    There has never been a better time to fly. Prices are incredible right now. No reason to not get out there to explore and experience the world.
    Cloud-9, BillUA, Foiler and 8 others like this.
  15. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    VFR is a great reliable bike, but can be a bit underpowered with 2up+luggage.

Nice to see you in Europe again
    Tijustme2 likes this.
  16. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    :augieBring a stator, RR for spare. If you need info. on the VFR you know who to go to...
  17. gbjeppm

gbjeppm n00b

Oddometer:
    Ed

PM me if you get to the UK.

Bed, grub, rioja, garage and tools available on the outskirts of London.

Matt
    RobF650 and NSFW like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    With two up experience on a CRF250 around SE Asia and a CB110 around the Philippines, a Honda VFR800, with 100+ HP, will feel like a rocket ship.
    Foiler, MrBob, Scott_PDX and 4 others like this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was planning to buy one before I left. But it seems the 1998-1999 are different from the 2000-2001. I still have not found a bike yet. So I don't know what year I will need and get. That search will start on Friday. I had my Stator go out on my CBR1100XX here in California so I know that is a weak point. But I am bringing brake pads and something else very specific to the bike which means I am dedicated to buying this 1998-2001 VFR800 for Europe
    Kona990 and Scubalong like this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    As a matter of fact, I am flying into London tomorrow.......but only for 4 hours. Catching a flight onward to Budapest from there.
    Foiler and Scott_PDX like this.