Around Europe in 80 days - the next Edventure - showing the world is a friendly place

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 29, 2018.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure where you will getting the 5th gen in Europe but if you need help finding one let me know I have couple friends in UK and France that dedicate to VFR.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So starts my next chapter.
    At the LAX airport.

My start didn't go like clockwork.
    I had a planned 8:30 AM departure. About 12 hours prior to takeoff, American Airlines incoming flight was late and I was notified that I would not make my connection. So they rebooked me on a flight 13 hours later. So thanks American - I lost a whole day.
    But now I am flying British Airways, so I am now flying thru London and getting in to Budapest around midnight.

I am carrying more than the maximum capacity allowed. I am hoping to get my bags thru without paying hundreds of dollars more in fees. My check in bag is larger than is allowed by American and definitely larger than British Airways allows. I hope they will have sympathy for me for making me wait for 13 hours.
    My carry on bag weighs half a ton. I carry all the heavy stuff in it to avoid my check in bag from being over the 51 pound limit. And the backpack is slightly too long as well.
    All this drama to save some bucks and maximize the stuff I am bringing to Europe with me.
    Orsi said she is tired of seeing me in the same 5 t-shirts.

[​IMG]

I ordered a new seat from Sargent. Like I did for India, I bought the seat before I even had the bike. So I am committed to buying a VFR800. But the seats for my KTM 390 Duke and my BMW R1200GS are relatively small compared to my VFR800 seat. I soon discovered I problem. The seat would not fit into my carry on bag. The suitcase in this photo looks small but it the largest size you can get checked onto an airplane.

[​IMG]

I considered my options and paying extra money wasn't one of them. The airline allowed a suitcase to have a total length, width and height dimension of 62 inches. I decided that I would make a piece of luggage out of the cardboard box Sargent shipped the seat in. The original box well exceeded those dimensions. So I calculated the dimensions of an ideal shaped box that could accommodate the seat as well as a maximum amount of clothes and other stuff. And this is what I came up with. But my cardboard box suitcase is not just a smaller size box. It weighs 50 pounds fully loaded. I needed to be able to move it around outside the airport and get it to my final destination. So I wanted to add some wheels to it. This required building a lightweight frame on the interior of the box so I could attach the wheels and pulling handle to it. It would also keep the seat from getting crushed by those ex rugby playing luggage handlers. This was my final result.
    I packed my clothes around the seat to keep it padded. And then closed it tightly with packing tape. It came out being slightly larger than was allowed but not by much. I didn't want to make it any smaller as the seat took up lots of room and I wanted to fit more than my usual 5 t-shirts. I told Orsi that I probably couldn't take all the clothes that I had hoped to bring with me because the seat was so large. She asked......" why do we need this Sargent seat again?"
    Lol.......such a rookie. She is going to thank me later for this!

[​IMG]
  3. Camarodude

Camarodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like a x-mas present! :D
  4. #1Fan

#1Fan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed-gineering!! :rofl:rofl Awesome build!
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much is the VFR? My brother bought a brand new one in 87' I used to steal his key when he was away, awsome motor, total wheelie machine.

If you ever make it back to Mexico, the winery's are up and coming. We left Acapulco last week, on the trip up north, we stayed at my friends house in Saltillo, which 3.5 hours south of Leredo, Texas. We took a two hour drive to Parras de la Fuentes. Stopped a winery out of town called Don Leo, Not bad wine.
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I haven't bought a bike yet but they are priced around $3000 for a nice one with low miles.

About 80 percent of the wine made in Mexico is made in Northern Baja. Guadalupe Valley is the Napa Valley of Mexico. And the oldest wine growing region in the western hemisphere is on mainland Mexico. And yes, they are making some very good wines there.
    In fact, I hope to be living part time there later this year if I can manage it. Much less expensive as compared with Orange County.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valle de Guadalupe is nice, our friends are part owners of La Chuza.It is next door to The restraunts Finca da Altozano.

We went to the Don Leo winery outside Parras de la Fuentes last Thursday. Quite nice $22 bottle of wine. Mexican wine is spendy due to 40% luxury tax imposed by the Mexican Government.

All French Oak, the students in the background are from Torreon, from what we were told there is a degree in gastronomy/ tourism. The government is trying to promote the wine regions.

Attached Files:

8. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be a good choice for you; part time sommelier, part time off road guide!
  9. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you are return and stay in Mexico...! That is my plan as well, maybe we can be neighbor:freaky:ricky . OC is getting ridiculous expensive :(
  10. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Yehbut....what about the luggage??!
    Grynch likes this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    All that needs to make it there is the seat.
    BarryB likes this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    In Hungary
    Reunited with my Girl

[​IMG]

Something tells me that she wants to be in California.

[​IMG]
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Lots of things didn't go as planned.
    Just before my flight, American Airlines sent me an e mail saying that they rebooked my flight on British Airways for 13 hours later. That meant I would miss a whole day and I would arrive into Budapest at just after midnight.
    Then after a 10 hour flight to London and a 4 hour layover, my connecting flight to Budapest was delayed 90 minutes. That got me in at about 2 am.
    We took a slow bus from the airport to her place in the city and arrived at about 4 am. Then we were both awake due to our excitement of being together again. So we stayed awake, drank some wine and watched the sunrise.
    For me, it was another night without sleep. But it was ok as we didn't have any big plans made for the next day.

Our first order of business was to find a bike.
    To make matters more difficult, I wanted a specific model AND color!
    We had been chatting with the owner of this bike for the past 2 weeks.
    It was pretty much exactly what we were looking for.
    A 2001 VFR800, blue in color, located in Budapest, original owner and only 38,000 kms
    The only problem was, when we got there, the bike wouldn't even start.......never a good sign.
    The bike had been sitting for 3 or 4 years. It seemed to have a problem with the fuel pump.

We are planning to look at another bike today. But it is located 3 hours outside of Budapest which means lots of buses and train rides before we get our own transportation.
    This is not going to be as easy as it was finding my other bikes, the KTM in India or the Honda in Thailand

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe, scudo, Cloud-9 and 15 others like this.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

holy guacamole...how can i be like you

:clap
    Foiler, edgeoftheworld and Mofrid like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    MAGIC STRING!
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

true and i won't find it while sitting in the office 5 days a week.

i love the outdoors like all of us here. think i have enough inspirations that i can turn a new page in my life.
    Mofrid likes this.
  17. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you definitely should!! as soon as you turn the page, you will never look back!
    SmilinJoe, Mofrid and NSFW like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Things are not exactly going as planned here.
    We rented a nice house in the countryside to use as our base but the former tenant is refusing to move out. So we are sort of in limbo staying in temporary places until the landlord resolves their issues with the tenant.
    We don't have as much money as we would have liked to have saved up so it is creating money worries for us. Realistically, you can never have too much money. We were just planning to have more saved up to get us thru this period.
    And trying to find the right bike has been frustrating - especially for Orsi because she can't understand why I have to have a 1998-2001 Honda VFR800 in BLUE!!!!! Frankly, I don't understand my motivation and desire. I just know that is what I want. And I sometimes go to extraordinary measures to get what I want.
    Today, we spent 5 hours on buses getting to see another blue Honda VFR. And just as I was expecting, the bike was very nice in every way........except for the price. Because it was a dealer, they wanted too much money for the bike. And I just didn't want to pay an extra $500 to $750 of extra profit to the dealer for what should be a $3000 bike. I didn't like the woman dealer that was selling the bike either. I gave her what I thought was a reasonable offer - probably more than they paid for the bike but they just mocked me. Some Hungarian people can be sort of rude and nasty I am finding. It is a somewhat poor country and lack of money can make people unhappy unfortunately.
    And that issue is affecting us as well. If I had more money, I could make this process a lot easier. We could be taking taxis instead of buses. We could pay extra for a nice bike so we can end the bike searching process. But I am doing the best I can with what I am working with.

[​IMG]

Our latest issue is getting the right riding gear for Orsi so she will look stunning in it. We spent literally hours going thru the Rev'it catalog trying to decide what would work best and look best. A leather jacket and pants might look hot on her but it would also be literally that too here in Summer in Europe. We picked some stuff out today. It isn't exactly what she wants but I think she will like it once she tries it on.
    For Orsi, it was all about how it looked on her. But I reminded her that function ( water protection, crash protection, ventilation, bulk, materials, etc) are important as well considering we will be living in this gear. And I understand her point as well. She is a girl and if she is going to be wearing it every day, then she needs to be happy how she looks in it.

We got maybe 3 hours of sleep last night. We spent most of our day, riding around in old Hungarian buses without air conditioning. We didn't buy this beautiful blue bike because we are needing to watch our "Forint". And then our frustration and tension brought up some issues that are definitely in the past and should have stayed in the past.
    All of this caused an argument and she is now in bed sleeping.....alone

I think I found the perfect bike in Belgium. We have booked a flight for Tuesday next week to look at the bike. We couldn't go any earlier because we are supposed to go to her dad and brother's house this weekend for a birthday party. But we need to still be together working towards our same goals.
    She took this off for the first time ever and now it just lies there on the sofa as she sleeps in the other room.
    So far, it hasn't been the what we were expecting. I am hoping things make a turn for the better soon.

[​IMG]
  19. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    It will get get better brother
    locopny likes this.
  20. AtomicFlyer

AtomicFlyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everybody goes through stuff like that. But most not as publicly as you. Hang in there.

Marc