Around Europe in 80 days - the next Edventure - showing the world is a friendly place

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 29, 2018.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And here is the actual hotel that I slept in that night. I was looking for a place to sleep near by the trailhead and this was absolutely ideal.
    It had the best view of the lake and the mountains. It was an old abandoned resort off the road about a 1/4 mile up the trail.

[​IMG]

The inside was sort of messy but the outside deck was beautiful. This is where I put my tent.

[​IMG]

There were two other backpacker guys that had the same idea. We both surprised each other but we quickly knew what our MO was. So we hung out together that night. We built a fire in the fireplace, they boiled water from the lake in the fire to use as a shower and to wash their clothes. Pretty resourceful guys.

[​IMG]

My view from my tent at sunrise...............priceless!

[​IMG]
    ChadADV, SmilinJoe, mbanzi and 31 others like this.
  2. AirCommando

AirCommando Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed, where you spending the Northern Hemisphere winter? California?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  3. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    At the moment, I am in So Cal. My plan is to be in SE Asia and back to my CRF250L by the end of January. I would like to get there sooner, but I don't have the money.
    ohjimmy, RiderRick and VisionPilot like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I haven't figured it out either. I am just "me".
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The next morning, I started my hike up to the top of this mountain - Krivan - elevation 2500 meters (8000 feet)
    Hard to imagine that I would be standing on top in about 3 hours if I went fast. And I needed to be fast to beat the clouds that would obscure the peak if I took too long

[​IMG]

Locals hiking up

[​IMG]

After a little over an hour, this was my view. But still the hard, steep part was coming up.

[​IMG]

This is where is gets tough. But still clear skies and no clouds...........yet

[​IMG]

And then the clouds move in. I needed to hurry if I wanted to have a view at the top. But I was getting winded. It was getting steeper.

[​IMG]

Taking a break for a brief moment for a selfie

[​IMG]

At the top!!!!!!!!!!
    Wow, what a view!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

The symbol of Slovakia - the double cross

[​IMG]

I was fortunate because I got to the top in time before the clouds came in and there was no longer a view. I took this photo going down. Everyone else still coming up saw nothing but clouds. And after hiking for 4+ hours and not having the view for a reward must have been a let down.

[​IMG]

Once I got down, I headed back into CZ. I made it across the border and it was getting dark. I pulled off the main road and started to drive around the forest roads until I found a flat place to put my tent and sleep for the night.
    It was just along side the road, but I didn't see another car or person the entire time I was there.

[​IMG]

My bike packed up and ready to roll. It surprisingly carries a lot of stuff (without a passenger). I have my new/used blue locking Givi box which can hold my valuables. And I have dry bags that can sit on the passenger seat. I just need to get some soft saddle bags and it will be ideal to explore Europe next summer

[​IMG]
  7. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    those were nice bags you had in india, good to see the blue max out n about.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes, I really liked the Viaterra bags. I am planning to use the Viaterra Claw Pro rear bag that I still have on another bike again (photo below). The saddlebags on the KTM I used in India got holes in them from the rear tire rubbing on them. And that only happened when I unloaded them and carried a passenger. So hence, i need some new saddlebags. I was thinking maybe the ones by Cortech.

[​IMG]
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I made it back to Rad's house later that next day. Rad already left the country so I had the place to myself. I cleaned up the bike and brought it over to Rad's friend's house to store the bike for the winter. I covered both my VFR and his Suzuki, kissed it gently on the windscreen and promised I would be back the following summer.

[​IMG]

Back at Rad's apartment, I spent the day giving it a good cleaning. I spent a lot of time cleaning the bathroom. I originally thought the bathtub was a dark ivory color, but once I was done scrubbing it, I discovered it was bright white! If I would have known, I would have done it much early.

[​IMG]

Besides the motorcycle, this is all my stuff I am leaving in Europe. It is pretty much everything I will need when I go back. I have my clothes, hiking boots, dry bag, camping stuff, 2 Rev'it suits (one waterproof and the other vented), backpack, Givi box, etc. I can literally fly over with my toothbrush and hit the ground riding.

[​IMG]

I left this on Rad's nightstand. It will be awaiting him upon his return. Not quite as good as Pilsner Urquill, but pretty damn close. Pilsner is about $1 USD a half liter bottle. This stuff is about a third as much. That's about 70 cents a liter. You can't even buy water that cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love CZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

These events go back to the middle of September. I am playing catch up. The weather was incredible for September. Normally it is much colder that time of year, but it was nearly 80 degrees that day. It was my last day in CZ and I bought a Czech sparkling wine and sat out on Rad's deck and enjoyed both the amazing weather and the delicious golden bubbly nectar. The next day, I caught a train back to Budapest to catch my flight back to Los Angeles.

[​IMG]

I had two whole days in Budapest before I caught my flight home. I had left some of my stuff that I wasn't leaving in Europe at Orsi's mom's place. Orsi and I had been talking the 10 days we were apart and agreed to meet up to talk. I needed to get my things so she met me at the train station. I honestly thought our relationship was over but when I saw her waiting for me when I got off the train with her big smile, I just plain melted. She jumped into my arms and that point I knew I couldn't let go.
    We spent two beautiful days hanging out in Budapest and seeing the sights. We had a nice dinner in the center of town and just talked about our future - together or separate. Our big issue is something that we both knew from day one and something that was obviously never resolved - Orsi wanted to settle down, find a home and have a family. For me, the thought of settling down is something that I embrace, but just not in the immediate future and probably not with children. For Orsi, who is turning 40 this year, she knows she doesn't have much time if she wants to go down that route.
    After dinner, we found a quiet spot along side the Danube River just after dark discussing what we should do. I told her that I definitely want to have a "home", but I was not convinced that I ever wanted to have a family. And this something that I had told her all along. Yes, maybe I will regret it one day, but I have always seen myself enjoying my life with my significant other by my side and without children. She told me that she definitely wants to have a baby and she didn't see how this relationship could ever work if I didn't. I kissed her softly on her forehead and sadly agreed with her. We had been through so much together over the past 6 months and it was super hard to let go, but our lives were diverging in different directions. Then she kissed my cheek and whispered into my ear that she wants to make love to me one last time and then part ways after that - never to see each other again. It was a beautiful moment - making love by the Danube River and sharing our intimacy one final time. A few tears were shed that night but we also knew it was for the best. We both still loved and respected each other and with that, we wanted what was best for the other without having any self serving motives. It will be an evening I will always cherish and remember.

[​IMG]

The next day, I needed to catch my flight and head home. Neither one of us liked the thought that this was it - the end of the road for the two of us.
    I had promised her to bring her to California. And she was still definitely wanting to go. This picture shown below was taken the day I arrived into Budapest. I think the message was clear from day one. It didn't take too much persuasion and arm twisting to book a flight for her to California for her to arrive about 4 weeks later. Not sure what was going to happen with us, but neither one of us wanted things to end at that time.

[​IMG]

This is the conclusion of this RR - Around Europe is 3 1/2 months.
    Look for the next chapter and my new RR - "The Best of Baja California - Edventures on the new Honda African Twin" . And of course Orsi will be along for the ride too.

[​IMG]

She is coming to California!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

!
  10. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good for you, Lalo. I wanted to ask what the status of your relationship was, but knew you'd clue us in eventually.
    Glad to hear she's coming to California..if she hasn't already?
    I'm in the same boat as you...a lil younger at 42, but never wanted kids and never will. Makes dating hard at this age, but I did find a unicorn that feels the same. She totally understands my wanderlust and motorcycle habit.
    Good on you for being you.
    Thanks as always for sharing all of this with us. Give my best to Rad next time you guys catch up.
  11. Wks1

Wks1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sooo relieved to read she's in California! I've felt the struggle you two have with each other both times while you were staying with us. I really was wondering how that would end. And I'm glad to read it hasn't ended. You two are beautiful people and I wish you can be completely, totally happy with each other. I hope you can work it all out in a way you together can live the life's you want to live.

Kisses and best wishes, for Orsi too.
    #1Fan and fasttortoise like this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much Wks1 - for not only The Dolphin and your hospitality - but also your encouragement.
    You and I are not made from the same mold as Orsi. You and I are more adventurous. Orsi is as well but just not in the same way. Being on the back of a motorcycle is actually not Orsi's favorite thing - so yes, it has always been a struggle for her (and us!). And then sleeping in abandoned buildings and on top of 200 year old graves probably didn't help either. :-)
    I hope to see and ride with you next summer when you have more time.
  13. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the effort it takes to write post and endure the endless questions!
    7thson, RiderRick, Lopburi and 2 others like this.
  14. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the next chapter.
  15. SavannahCapt

SavannahCapt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great job Ed. Thank you.
    flyingdutchman177 and locopny like this.
  16. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I been following along on this trip you are having and all I can say is DUDE KEEP ORSI! I think she might complete you without you fully realizing it. I wish good luck to the both of you either way, hopefully together...
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I have always said that Orsi and I balance each other.
    Cloud-9, locopny and Gymbo like this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    awesome ending lalo.... i mean for this RR
  19. beys

beys Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lurking around on the forum, I came across this thread yesterday and read it in one piece.

You took us with you on this interesting summer journey and apparently you took the term "adventure ride" to a different level.
    In the end we even learned about the issue of this beautiful hungarian lady.

It‘s the issue of many of these modern western women: excellent education followed by a good career and life with a whole lot of nice people around and suddenly they realise that they are running out of time when it comes to having kids.

So apparently the both of you will have to make a decision in one way or another.

I‘m not in the position to give you any advice, but as this is all about adventure, I can tell you from my experience: the greatest adventure you can be in is having kids!

There is a lot of trouble and sorrow coming along with it but in the end you can be proud of what they are doing, and if you are lucky enough, your kid will appear in the RideReport of an inmate:
    :lol3:lol3

So good luck to the both of you and whenever you travel around in southern Germany, feel free to PM me and have a beer together.
    dano619 likes this.
  20. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer: