Around Europe in 80 days - the next Edventure - showing the world is a friendly place

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 29, 2018.

1. colemadad

colemadad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's cheaper for 2 to fly to Belgium than to pay the $500. extra bucks for the bike that fit the bill in Hungary?
  2. MrBob

MrBob Rabbitbrush Ranger Supporter

Oddometer:
    One day at at time, and eyes on the prize.
  3. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    As the World Turns.....the beauty of the Edventure has always been the unpredictability! Blue bike with sargent seat coming right up
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  4. 3 bike

3 bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ed about wine, if you get chance to go north into Slovakia try to visit this winery at Orechova, its near a town Michalovce, and on the way to the Ukraine border.
    make some of the best wine i have ever drunk, and its only sold in Slovakia, so you wont find it anywhere else. small production great quality !!
  5. nterrot

nterrot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Stick in there. I really appreciate, the honesty and openness of all your reports delving in all aspects of the ride giving a complete picture into life on the road. I myself will be hitting the road from the UK in autumn with no final destination or time scale in mind. Might have found myself a pretty special travel companion too :D Would love to meet up for a beer with you both wherever our paths may cross. I hope things iron out in the next few days and look forward to seeing the loved up pics from this Hungarian birthday party :clap
    flyingdutchman177 and Foiler like this.
  6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    You can always paint the bike blue no?

Ahh, when young lover's make up...
  7. Zentriumph

Zentriumph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't get much worse can it????

;-)
  8. BigMan73

BigMan73 Binary Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed
    I was happy to see a new chapter in your travels. Thought you were done with it.

My pragmatic advise - find another bike, of any color, sell the corbin seat on ebay, reduce the tension and stress, keep the relationship alive
    mart´n and RobF650 like this.
  9. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey brother, make sure that you fully understand what it takes and how much it costs to get Belgian bike registers in Hungary; or whether you want to keep the registration in Belgium. In Europe it can be quite tricky. It may be faster, cheaper and easier to pay little bit more for the nice blue VFR you found in Hungary......or fix the first one you saw.
  10. phoenixGSA

phoenixGSA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The test. They all do it. If only women knew how destructive it is.
    VisionPilot and Kiwi Canuck like this.
  11. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, people are different when all that's going on is what beach to go to, are we going to eat Thai food, BBQ'ed fish or Pizza...
    I am 20 yrs ahead of you in this department as I had (have) spent more than a dozen 6 week vacations chillin' on the Islands in the Gulf, partying, meeting new Euro-backpacking girls, Aussies, etc... One trip, I hooked up with a girl from England /Zimbabwe and we did the same as you and Orsi...
    We met up a few months later in England and took off to Spain for more fun... Then she came out to visit me in Calif. to go on a 3 week camp trip- By the 10th day, we pretty much hated each other--- Go figure... I took her to the airport on Sept 15th (Just after 9-11). The last straw is how she reacted to the 9-11 attacks and basically said that "the U.S. deserved it..." Never heard from her again.
    I found out real "relationships" work out better with peeps from your own tribe /culture as you have more to in common to work towards a "relationship" (sorry, it kinda is work periodically...)
  12. kvango

kvango Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,
    Awesome reports, keep it going . . . love the mix of riding, wine, and the magic string . . . Hope this one (Orsi) works out -

What's up with the first bike? Did you think about throwing out a low-ball offer and repairing it? Loved my Interceptor (VF500F) in college (late 80's).

Someday would love to split a bottle (or 3) of Rioja with you - I've ignored Spanish wine in the past - now my favorite. Great 'taste' for the $ and I've spent a lot of time in the Napa area (grew up nearby). Also, you have taught me I can camp wherever the hell I want -- the EDventure is EDucational!

Stay thirsty, my friend -
    --Kevin
    fasttortoise likes this.
  13. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,

I hope you find the bike of your dreams.

Keep the rubber side down,

Cheers
  14. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was pretty rough.
    Our argument carried over into the morning.
    It is pretty much been our same issue carried forward.
    Me being with another girl in Thailand at the time we met
    And for that, she has trust issues even though I have been committed to her since.
    It is sort of an age old story that I am sure everyone has been through before.
    And for that reason, I don't mind sharing it. It is just normal life issues.

Trying to move on from it, we wanted to get out and do something fun together to get our mind off of the past and work towards our future.
    We still don't have a motorbike but we were able to borrow and couple of bicycles to explore the countryside.
    We are staying a village in a very rural area of Western Hungary.
    It is very beautiful here.

The roads started off easy - long and straight.

[​IMG]

But it deteriorated into a dirt road with steep hills. Orsi had not ridden a bike in years and she wasn't used to the brakes. Coming down a hill, she lost control and had a little spill. While she laughed it off, it sort of took the fun out of it for her.

[​IMG]

We stopped in a little village pub for a beer. Most of the beers here seem to be from the Czech Republic. No complaints from me. The price of these two 500 ml beers at the pub was about $2.70. I am really liking Hungary more each day.

[​IMG]

Things were improving as we rode our bikes the 5 miles back to our little house in the countryside. But soon after we left the village, Orsi's bike got a flat front tire and I had no way to repair the puncture. We are seeming to have the worst luck this week.
    [​IMG]

I rode back to our little house and asked to borrow our host's car so I could go pick up Orsi and her bike. I did that. It took 30 minutes to go back for her. We had to take the front wheel off to get it in the back seat. We put the bike in the car and drove off. When we got to the house, she asked what I had done with the front wheel. I told her I left it on the roof of the car and drove off.
    Seriously........what an idiot I am. And yet more bad luck.
    We drove back and fortunately found the wheel on the side of the road without damage.
    Today is a new day and hopefully it will be a new start.
    SmilinJoe, scudo, Cloud-9 and 11 others like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I am often times stubborn.
    danh600, VisionPilot and hankgs like this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I can't put it into my name here. But I have a friend from the Czech Republic who told me once that it could be possibly done there.
    From what I understand, it will cost less than $100 extra to bring the bike into Hungary and register it here in her name
    VisionPilot likes this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Just call me Special Ed
    I did throw out a low ball offer on that bike.......if they got it running. It was most certainly the fuel pump getting plugged up with bad gas. But, it looks like the bike was stored under a tarp outside for a while. So there is corrosion on the stainless steel muffler and the aluminum frame. And that is what I can see. I can only imagine what the rest of the bike looks like under that somewhat tarnished blue skin.
    kvango and Kona990 like this.
  18. johnnybgood8

johnnybgood8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "
    Me being with another girl in Thailand at the time we met
    "

That would be problem for every normal human being... Probably for you too If she was with another guy/guys.
    VisionPilot likes this.
  19. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed, time to delete the former contacts and not follow/like the others that you've been together with, that's just how it is. Once you realize your former self is no more and your now part of this new person you've chosen to spend the rest of your life with everything will settle in. Just my two cents, going on 22yrs now with the same wifey.

I'd be all over that non starting VFR but thats just me, I love fixing shit like that.
    ONandOFF, Dan Lorenze and VisionPilot like this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have already done that long ago. I just can't erase the memories. And no one really did anything wrong. It's just life.
    I appreciate everyone trying to help out with their advice, but we both know what we need to do. One thing we are very good at talking and discussing our feelings.
    I am sure we can work thru this. It has been a bit stressful and things have not gone as we had hoped. But eventually we will get into our rhythm again and all will be good in this world again.
    SmilinJoe, mart´n, BillUA and 3 others like this.