Around Europe in 80 days - the next Edventure - showing the world is a friendly place

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, May 29, 2018.

1. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You don’t have a friend in Czech, you have brother and whole family there!

It is defo cheaper in Hungary if it’s up to $100. In Czech they charge you for inspection, registration fee and other crap. If I remember correctly it can be around 250 to register foreign vehicle.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For a newer car, it is more.
    But for an older bike, I understand it is only about $100 more. It still will cost me about $300 in total to change title and put a Hungarian plate on it, as $200 of that amount is just standard Hungarian transfer fees.
    All of a sudden, California is not looking so bad.
    BTW, my bike in Thailand costs me about $15 a year to register and that includes the insurance.
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really Ed
    If you register as a new owner you will have to pay sale tax roughly 10% in OC ($3000 + $300 sale tax + $20 Processing fee + $125 Registration = $3445)
    This is the cost if you went to AAA, DMV will cost you the whole day that is $50 per hr x 8 :lol3:lol3:lol2:lol2:D:D
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    So true Scubbie. California loses again.
    And did I mention, good beer is only about $1.25 in a pub here?
    roadcapDen, Scubalong and Romero like this.
  5. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have one on me...Damn I own you like a case by now
    Good luck with the Blue VFR. I am sure you will get whatever you want

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  6. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    More bad luck today.
    One of Orsi's best friends died.
    So needless to say, she is not very so happy.

Tomorrow I meet her brother and dad.
    It's her brother's birthday and he is having a little party.

What could go wrong there?
    SmilinJoe, RiderRick, rubline and 2 others like this.
  7. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    If thousand of us like you, I am sure her pop and brother will love you too..! :augie:hmmmmm:jack:lol3
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  8. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. Hang tough. That's all you can really do.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Next week, Orsi and plan to fly to Belgium, look and hopefully buy a blue VFR800 and ride it back to Hungary.
    We won't have room for any camping gear. In fact, we won't have room for much of anything.
    I am not sure of our exact route. If you live in Belgium, Luxembourg, Southern Germany or Austria and can host us for an evening, we would love to hear from you.
    The route shown below is the fastest route but if you live anywhere within that area (Stuttgart, Munich, Salzburg to Prague), we can come that way too.
    This going to be Orsi's first big road trip so I hope to make it a fun one for her.

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe, scudo, Cloud-9 and 6 others like this.
  10. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    Salzbug is cool. That would be a good town to spend a day in.
  11. Erecto

Erecto What a dick!

Oddometer:
    Just don't stay in the Itzlinger hof, unless you like your fruit cocktail in what tastes like nail polish remover. On the other hand, there's a big window in the shower wall so you can watch your girl from the tent - errr....bed.

There's also doggy style just down the road. But not what you think. Or maybe it is...
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    More bad news.
    The VFR800 that we were planning to buy in Belgium doesn't come with a plate. The owner told me that the plate was transferred to another bike he owns and there is no plate sold with the bike. Seems weird but maybe normal for Belgium.
    So we have no way of riding the bike home unless anyone has any bright ideas.
    I was planning to bring a California license plate with me but I forgot to bring it. I have an old California pink slip with me from a bike I used to own. And by coincidence the pink slip I have is for a 2000 Honda as well - same as the Belgium bike. Just not a VFR. I could have put the California plate on the bike and photo shopped the VIN and plate number on the pink slip. No one would have ever known. But I don't have a plate........damn it!
    So yet another strike on this European Edventure. We already have a plane tickets to Belgium so we are going anyway.......just with no bike.
    Kona990 and Scubalong like this.
  13. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Scubalong likes this.
  14. LawsonSweden

LawsonSweden n00b

Oddometer:
    A good start to many things in life is to start from the top and go all the way down. That includes a tour of Europe aswell.

So here is a bike that can come into budget 3000€ if you don't count the trip to fly there.

Honda VFR800 Fi
    www.blocket.se/vi/77058206.htm[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    VisionPilot, bokkom and Scubalong like this.
  15. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    $3000 Euro for a 20 years old bike :(
  16. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Umm. Belgium is like that. And in fact Germany, Austria and as far i know most Western European countries. The plate belongs to the owner, and transferred between vehicles so one cannot just ride it out of the country.
    In Germany one can buy a temporary plate with a short term insurance- although it has a quite hefty price. Close to 300 eur if I remember correctly. Dunno if that's available in Belgium too.
    In case You're going anyway, check the bike, and fix the price with the owner. I might be able to help you to got the bike imported and registered. I have a friend who is importing cars from Belgium, and they minght be able to put it on a trailer coming home for a reasonable price - depending on the location tho.
  17. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lalo,

You never had these problems when you were getting your Honda and KTM
  18. Wks1

Wks1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How long are you planning to ride in Europe? If it is just for 3 months and not more than, say 15000km, you can use my Honda NC750x 2016. We've just bought a house, so I don't expect to have time to ride it coming months. And... I also have my GSA and DRZ400. Just have to find out how we can arrange some risk issues.

OK, it's not a vfr, but it is a Honda.... And very good on fuel consumption. Maybe a bit underpowered for two up+luggage. But you are used to 250`s ;-)

I'm living in the south of The Netherlands, by car its 90 minutes from Brussel I think.

Added info:
    We also have aluminium panniers for the bike, but the rack isn't fixed on the bike. But if you decide to use the bike you can fix it yourself in our barn while staying with us. (we have to work next week)
    You also can use our camping gear if you like, because we won't need it until next summer.
    Ranchworld, Cloud-9, NSFW and 21 others like this.
  19. Wks1

Wks1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In The Netherlands plates belong to the vehicle, not to the owner.
    Bikes in Belgium are much cheaper, due to taxes.
  20. Francistor83

Francistor83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just waow. But hey, is it blue? :-)