Around SE Asia in 80 days - my next Edventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Motor on Ed ...
    Great RR
    Thanks
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    She needs a matching KTM to go with that swimsuit.
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not another person around for miles.

[​IMG]

Except for this person.........
    This is another beach. Almost deserted
    It is the second best beach

[​IMG]
    Cloud-9, powderzone, JanSerce and 9 others like this.
  4. Wimke1971

Wimke1971 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice haircut! You two look very happy! Enjoy!
    Scott_PDX and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I just bought a plane ticket. I am heading to Hungary later this month to spend summer there with you know who.
    The Edventure continues............
    I hope to see you at the beginning of June.
    Now I need to find a 1998 - 2001 Honda VFR800 on that side of the pond to use over there to get us around.
    Cloud-9, JanSerce, Foiler and 4 others like this.
  6. brnsrgn

brnsrgn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want one too!!!!
  7. Champe

Champe Long timer

Oddometer:
    What a great adventure ! Looks like you found a golden nugget in Orsi - congratulations !

Here in Cow Hampshire, the last of the winter glaciers have just melted and the ticks are taking over. I must be doing something wrong. Being planted like a vegetable is not all that it's cracked up to be.

I wish I had taken more time to ride with you when you visited here. Mt. Washington would have been fun - but I might have been influenced more to get off TDC and go adventuring again.

Hope Hungary and Europe treat you well. I am particularly interested in how you make your travels self-sustaining.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    After taking my girl to the most beautiful and secluded beach on the island, this day, I took her to the see the most beautiful view on the island. As always, it involved riding on some dirt roads. But the last mile proved too tough and we had to hike the rest of the way in.

[​IMG]

If you followed along on my last RR, you will remember this place.........the most beautiful abandoned bungalows in the world. And this is where we spent the night. But unlike last year I wasn't alone. I had someone to share my time and the awesome abandoned resort with.

[​IMG]

We brought everything we needed including a 5 liter box of wine. With a glass of Shiraz in hand, it was easy to just waste the day away and soak in this amazing view.

[​IMG]
    Cloud-9, JanSerce, spokester and 13 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I just went back and looked at the last couple of pages of my RR thinking what an adventure we are having on this little island in the Gulf of Thailand. It may not be the same type of adventure as in Rad's report in New Zealand and riding thru a snow storm through Skipper's Canyon. Or maybe not as daring as those 4 guys struggling to get their big KLR's through the Darian gap.
    But is that adventure actually any fun?
    Getting eaten alive by mosquitos, ripped off by the Kuna Indians or freezing to death on a old beat up scooter in the Southern Alps is certainly adventurous. And I had my share of Edventures like that these past 6 years.
    But I have to tell you, spending the night with my beautiful girl in an abandoned bungalow on the desolate, rugged coast of Phangan, sipping on some cheap ass box wine and listening and dancing to music on our deck while watching the nealy full moon rise up from the ocean is certainly adventurous too.
    Which sort of adventure do you prefer??????? Especially in the moment and not necessarily looking back at it all a week later after the mosquito bites and frost bite have since healed.

[​IMG]
  10. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good times
    flyingdutchman177 and george248 like this.
  11. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    When I show people the pictures of the abandoned bungalow in the jungle, most people don't believe it because it's too nice. But it really is abandoned.
    When I went back there a year later, I was sort of half expecting it to be open again.
    But to my joy, it was almost exactly the way I remembered it.
    In fact, that picture above of Orsi in the bed, when we came there, the bed was made in the exact same manner as I left it a year ago. The silk blanket was folded the same way and the two towels were placed on the bed the same way I left it. Some of the furniture was moved around a bit. And my motorcycle magazine and my wine bottle candle holder was still in the bathroom.
    But it looked like the owners were trying to get the place back open again. The road was improved somewhat. The giant 10 foot ruts were gone. But the road was still too difficult to ride my motorcycle all the way to the resort. And they had the water turned back on so their was running water in the bathroom.
    We cleaned up the room as it was dusty and there was lots of tokai lizard poop in the bathroom. I brought soap and washed the sheets in a bucket.

This picture is the abandoned common area. It is where the kitchen, office and front lobby area is.
    There were still books on the shelve in the library section too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not a bad view either.

[​IMG]
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    More photos from the bungalow in the abandoned resort.

Our view from the bed.

[​IMG]

The view from the deck at sunset.

[​IMG]

The view at sunrise

[​IMG]

My hippy chick meditating on deck

[​IMG]

We only spent a couple of days there. We had to get back to our bungalow in the jungke and feed these guys
    The white dog we called Purple Butt.

[​IMG]
    Cloud-9, JanSerce, spokester and 19 others like this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Here's how I found the abandoned bungalow.
    While hiking to that beautiful deserted beach, I noticed this bungalow on the point of land in this photo and wondered how to get there. It didn't make sense to me since I knew the island inside and out. I knew there were no roads in that area that headed to the coast.
    But I knew where it should be and found the eroded path that led me to the abandoned bungalow complex.
    I am looking forward to going back again one day.
    And I hope the bed is made the same way as I left it and my motorcycle magazine is still there.

[​IMG]

And the view looking back the other way

[​IMG]
  14. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I told you she was a hippy chick.

Have fun in Europe. Good luck on the 800. It would be a great tourer.

Eric
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I want a bright green street triple but it wouldn't make a good two up touring bike. But you knew that as well.
    JHpowderhound likes this.
  16. JHpowderhound

JHpowderhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wish I could join you. And I’d bring that bike.

Eric
  17. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that "abandoned" bungalow on the next cove over from Thong Nai Pan... It was a working resort for many years- What happened? It was the "higher end" Thong Nai Pan Yai resort called Panviman or something close...
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I don't know that place. Booking.com says they are taking reservations at Panviman. So maybe it's open again.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The road on Phangan, from where the Waterfall party is to Lost Paradise Beach is nearly impassable now.
    No vehicles go between The Sanctuary and Lost Paradise. And this is the most beautiful and remote part of the island.
    The road is washed out with many deep ruts. But what makes this road so difficult is the road surface. It is hard packed with a fine layer of grit on top of it, acting like you are riding on small marbles. You can't get a big, fast run up the hills because your back end would be fish tailing up and it would send you into a deep rut. And going down is scary because there is no traction and your brakes are easy to lock up.
    But doing this loop is a lot of fun. I was really hoping someone else would have tried it with me on their bike, but I couldn't get anyone to try it. And I was hoping someone following along here would visit the island, try it out and share their own personal experience here.
    Let me know if you get over there, rent a CRF250L and give it a try.

[​IMG]

Having a bald back tire didn't help with the traction issue.
    But it did help in one respect.
    A CRF250L is very underpowered - especially going up hills.
    It doesn't have to torque in second gear to get up some of the hills at low rpms.
    But if you can get the back tire spinning, the revs rise and so does its power. So that has helped get me up steep hills like this one in my last photo.
    Cute little pig in this one. And check out that bald tire. I still had to ride 1000 miles on the highway with it back to Chiang Mai!

[​IMG]
  20. Bigman2

Bigman2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i would put that pig on the fire it would be mouth watering . nothing like smoked pork
    rubline and #1Fan like this.