Around the world advrider mascot relay - Bacon's journey

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GazzaFish, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Nearly 10 years! Hope you can get some good photos for the 26th.
  2. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    kawafunky likes this.
  3. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. kawafunky

kawafunky on another trip around the sun

Oddometer:
    10 years since the OP started bacon on this fantastic journey...
    what were you doing on the day in 2007?
    Jaimoto and pebble35 like this.
  5. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    :clap
    kawafunky likes this.
  6. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cant believe my little Bacon is still going strong after more than 10 years on the road. Maybe we need to do something special for him(or her as he seems to change sex quite often haha) in 2018?
    Jaimoto and Treadless like this.
  7. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I want some xmas pics of Bacon please. :clap
    Treadless likes this.
  8. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon Update!

So my Cousin arrived in Ho Chi Minh on Bacon's 10th Birthday and was thoroughly confused why I had a pig, until I filled him in
    received_10159476729010391.jpeg

We took him for a little treat up the Saigon Skydeck for a view over the city

20171126_125553.jpg 20171126_125432.jpg

We couldn't get many photos on the road, we were riding quick and a lot of it in the rain but we made it but I eventually arrived in Ninh Binh for some rest with another friend of mine. Some bamboo huts in the rice fields. Bliss.

20171214_093842.jpg

Now we're back in Hanoi, chilling in an apartment over Christmas
    [​IMG]

Now my cousin and friend have both left it's back to travelling solo, heading further North in Vietnam.
  9. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's been a while but here's a little Bacon update.

He's made it back to India, after a quick whirlwind trip through Laos, we flew back to Kolkata and hit the road across India to Goa.

Out for drinks last night with a bunch of guys from the hostel and once I told them his story they all wanted a picture with him.
    DSC01286.JPG DSC01283.JPG DSC01281.JPG DSC01277.JPG

Here's the map of Bacon Conquered Nations updated with Laos:
    https://www.amcharts.com/visited_co...,MX,US,CN,IN,JP,KZ,KG,LA,MN,NP,PK,VN,AU,FJ,NZ
    DunkingBird likes this.
  10. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon update!

We left Goa after a little trip to Velha Goa (Old Goa) and the huge churches there, and a very old crumbling one:
    DSC01839.JPG

Then it was hard South for some long days riding until a break in Fort Kochi, a strange feeling place, a mix of colonial town, crummy beach, fishing village and industrial site:
    DSC01977.JPG

Then a bit of a disaster, the day we left Kochi the bike decided it was too hot and didn't want to work anymore. The alternator burned out and after 2 new batteries and 3 jump starts in one day we made it to Trivandrum. We were stuck there for a few days fixing the bike but we were in a nice guesthouse run by these lovely guys:
    20180311_095740.jpg

Then on to Kanya Kumari, the very southern tip of India. It felt like an achievement getting here after a very long route through India, and after being unsure I'd even spend a week in India when I was planning my trip.
    20180311_124122.jpg Bacon trying to figure out WTF is going on with my hair.

Up to Bangalore to finally meet some friends I'd been in touch with online for a while. They're amazing people and hosted in me in their house in the city. They also hosted Martin and Xenia (Bacon's previous owners) and arranged for them to give a talk about their travels. Turns out that was my payment too, so I gave a short talk about my adventures and introduced Bacon to a round of new fans. They really took to him, he got more attention than me in the meet and greet after the talk...

I don't have a good photo of him up on stage yet, I'm still trying to get hold of one. Here's some of his new fans:
    [​IMG]

Now we're sitting around in Chennai. My bike was supposed to be setting sail across to Malaysia about now, but it's still in the hostel car park. Hopefully it will be on it's on way next week and I can update you from Malaysia in 2 weeks!
  11. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast
  12. pebble35

pebble35 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dracula and DunkingBird like this.
  13. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was just eating some ribs, and was thinking " What ever happened to that damn pig!"

I will have some pancetta, in his honor, tommorow!

Sooey!!!!!!!
  14. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pebble35 likes this.
  15. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great to see him about again, I enjoyed his company in Europe and on the way back to NZ 4 years ago!
    Jaimoto and Jim pedley like this.
  16. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon Update!

Malaysia Conquered! And maybe another Bacon first: Elephants!

We rode around for a few days between bike repairs and met some elephants at a sanctuary, bacon literally fed them, to the utter bewilderment of my poor guide taking the photos, a young muslim girl. She had no idea what was going on.

DSC02119.JPG

There was two Kiwi brothers staying in the same hostel in Kuala Lumpur, riding KLRs from Oz to England (https://www.facebook.com/tootillman), they were stuck waiting for Visas and I was stuck with shipping and repairs, so we ended up hanging out a lot. We had drinks a few times with our mechanic, in his garage, with beers he can get super cheap. He's from Kansas City but has lived here for years, I'm really curious what Malaysian sounds like with a Kansas accent.

30715658_2010479305646414_2961751830335324160_n.jpg Left to right: Mechanic (Garret), Osama the beer legend, he didn't drink but would fetch us more beers since we were all to drunk to ride, Moi, and Liam.

30726240_2010479672313044_1064143160503959552_n.jpg

upload_2018-4-30_23-33-5.png Bacon half way through a metal scream courtesy of Liam. Most of our nights were music and bike related chats.

Bacon Conquered Nations (Now with added Malaysia):
    https://www.amcharts.com/visited_co...,US,CN,IN,JP,KZ,KG,LA,MY,MN,NP,PK,VN,AU,FJ,NZ
    Rider 101, DunkingBird and pebble35 like this.
  17. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    :clap keep him going! Will be in Vanuatu in October if he needs a bit of r & r
  18. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon is back!

It's been a while, through Thailand, back to Malaysia, out to east Malaysia on Borneo, through Brunei and into Indonesia. Now we're here in Timor Leste, the last stop before he's back onto familiar ground in Australia.

Somehow we managed to go all the way through Thailand without a single Bacon photo! Oooops, it was a crazy whirlwind trip though, just two weeks, blasting up to the North out of Malaysia, meeting up with Owen and Liam again for a little ride around Kanchanaburi, up to Pai and Chiang Mai.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then it was back to Malaysia, just me and Bacon. Some final work to Donkey in KL at the now famous Sunny's motorbike garage:
    [​IMG]

and ship out to Borneo, Kota Kinabalu and explore Sabah, the jungle and Orangutans were calling. Then a blitz down through Brunei: No Bacon photo here, it's a tiny country and I was only there for about 24 hours total including sleeping!
    [​IMG]

Then down into Kuching where I ended up meeting Alex. A few different bikers I met told me I should check out Alex's restaurant, and it's one of the coolest places I've been. There's vintage bikes, overlander bikes, limited edition helmets, even an F1 car on the wall. Alex himself is an avid overlander and now touring around Europe right now!
    [​IMG]
    Across the Indonesian border on Borneo and into Kalimantan, not much exploring here, the ferry onto Java was my goal and it took some work finding out just when would be.

I got very lucky with a crash on the road, an almost head on with a moped, my foot was pretty messed up but nothing broken and didn't even come off the bike.

Once onto Java the island hopping really began, the boats are crowded, cramped and long, and there's lots of them, anything from 4 hours to 24:
    [​IMG]

With the island hopping complete we were in Kupang, at Lavalon hostel, famous with all the travellers and overlanders that come through this way going to and from Darwin. Then overland into Timor Leste!

It's pretty incredible here for a place I didn't expect much of. Bacon is enjoying it:
    [​IMG]

There's some pretty sketchy bridges and buildings though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the new list of Bacon Conquered Nations, now including Thailand, Brunei, Indonesia and Timor Leste:
    https://www.amcharts.com/visited_co...,ID,JP,KZ,KG,LA,MY,MN,NP,PK,TH,TL,VN,AU,FJ,NZ
  19. joshuwaa

joshuwaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bacon Update! For his 11th Birthday he's Home! We're both kicking back in Melbourne with a fancy coffee and some non-extreme weather for a change.

It's been a while since the last update but that's mostly because of a bunch of delays rather than much happening.

Two weeks after the last update we actually ended up flying back in the UK for a whole month, unfortunately for a funeral, and while my bike was shipping from East Timor to Darwin.
    IMG_20180801_220143_HHT.jpg
    Straight back to the board games, pretty much the last thing I did before I left the UK, and the first thing I did on the way back in.

Then Another 2 weeks in Darwin before we got underway in Australia. My diminishing bank account meant we took the quick option down the red centre rather than the East Coast as planned. That meant we didn't see a great deal but flat lands, Roos, Emus and strange towns now and again.
    IMG_20180914_183658.jpg
    Camping in the outback was amazing

IMG_20180914_155738.jpg
    Starting to Climb Uluru, then realising it's damn high and turning back.

IMG_20180915_115549.jpg
    Meeting a fan on the road, not the guitar guys, they didn't give a crap.

This weekend we'll be heading out to the MotoGP on Phillip Island, if anyone else is around give us a prod and we'll meet up!
    Jaimoto and Zeus99 like this.
  20. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast