Around the World and beyond.......Rad_venture

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cejnys, Sep 26, 2014.

1. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After making it down to Colorado Springs I said good bye to Luke, and started heading towards Santa Fe where I was meeting with the famous Hollywood producer to discuss the next ride around Africa.

When I made it to Las Vegas, NM I checked my phone and it looked like Rich already left Santa Fe and was riding towards Vegas to meet me there and ride with me back. When reaching Vegas I saw very dark clouds with frequent lightening towards Santa Fe. I did not look good and I was glad that I had to wait for Rich there. On the other hand I really wanted to experience serious rain to check my new KLIM Badlands. I did not have to wait long before Rich showed up on his cool looking DRZ 400. It was sweet looking bike.

As soon as Rich got off the bike he pulled out of his pocket a can of pilsner and hand it to me with words: "welcome brother!"

The beer was still pretty cold from the thunderstorm that Rich was riding through; I was not waiting for anything and quickly opened the can, offered Rich a sip and then downed the thing. I was pretty thirsty and ready for a bit more of these; so we jumped on our bikes and headed towards Santa Fe. Fortunately the rain stopped so we could easily make it to SFe where we went into Rich's favorite bar in downtown where we met his girlfriend.

We stayed there until about 2:30 am; then Rich took is girlfriend on his bike, and we slowly started moving home. What happened from that point until we actually made it to the house was one of the craziest things in my life. I made a promise to Rich that this is not going to go public, so I cannot tell you the story. Nevertheless I will share it with people I meet face to face. To give you some clues I can say that there were 2 crashes, a police car, very slow and fast riding and much more. I still don't understand how it happened that nobody was injured (just a bruise), and nobody got into a jail. There was not even any penalty etc.

I had some photos from that night, which I unfortunately lost when I was cleaning my phone.

The next morning we just chilled and had pretty good laugh discussing what actually happened the night before. We also discussed the Africa ride which we want to do together with Ed and record everything on cameras for y'all there.

Later that day I started heading towards Texas. Straight after Santa Fe the roads starts to be extremely boring and it doesn't change for a loooooooong time

The first excitement came when I reached Texas border; it has been nearly 4 years since the bike was in Texas. At that time we were leaving US to Mexico. I felt extremely excited when taking this photo. I felt like I was very close to make this HUGE dram happen, on the other side there was a massive tension inside of me because I knew that there was still about 1000 km to go before I could totally relax. Texas is huge, the roads are very wide but also most of the cars are big and many drivers got extremely bored while driving these long distances without anything to look at; for that reason MANY people play with their mobile phones and for that reason its very dangerous to ride in Texas.

[​IMG]

Not far from the Texas border, just before Amarillo, there are few Cadillacs parked not far from the main road. It was pretty cool place; people were bringing many cans of spray and then putting more color on these old cars. For some reason they did not take the cans with them when finished, and just dropped them on the floor. It actually reminded me India little bit....

[​IMG]
    MaNDan, JanSerce, kenbob and 21 others like this.
  2. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Good stuff mate...

Grog
    cejnys likes this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If there are no photos, then maybe it never really happened. But then again, the whole story was too incredible to be made up :-)
    cejnys and Romero like this.
  4. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    New Mexico sounds crazy! Is a movie producer even a job?
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    99.9% finished with your RR. Did you make it back or what? Come on Rad - finish it!
    cejnys, RiderRick, BillUA and 8 others like this.
  6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Paging Mr Rad!?!
  7. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Must be busy getting his passport stamped
    :-)
    Kyler, cejnys and MaNDan like this.
  8. SunnyJH

SunnyJH iADV

Oddometer:
    What a great ridereport - just found it two days ago and have now read it to the end. Thank you for taking us with you!

Question: I saw that you have the Enduristan tankbag - are you happy with it, and ist it still waterproof after all the roads it has been through?
  9. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey SunnyJH, glad you are enjoying the RR. Yeah it has been pretty amazing ride and adventure.

Regarding the tank bag; I am absolutely amazed how it performs. I bought it because it had pretty good reviews, and I needed something waterproof to keep my camera, phone etc. safe and dry.

After 4 years basically being 99.7% outside in the element the bag still performs 100% and its water tight. I know, I still cannot believe it myself. The only thing I had to replace was the map holder. I like to use maps and the velcro system they use is really good; its easy to take map off the bag into restaurant etc to check further route and then quickly put it back when done.

Another thing I like about the bag is its size and position on the bike. Even when I am riding up, I hardly feel the bag.

I would like to do full review of my stuff that I have been using during the trip.
    shuswap1, Lopburi and ScotsFire like this.
  10. SunnyJH

SunnyJH iADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot!
  11. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let's finish this ride guys....I feel like I am owing you the end

Ride through Texas towards Austin was pretty boring, there is nothing much to look at plus the roads are wide and straight so most of the time (all the time) you are using only the center of your tire. I am not surprised there are so many accidents in Texas because people get sooooo bored while driving and they start using their phones to pass the time.

My first stop in Texas was Austin where I visited Lauren; this was actually the first place where the lines of this trip connected. I have no doubts that you remember her and the riding we done together. Last year she moved from Houston to Austin closer to her family. It was nice seeing Lauren and her family, I spent a weekend there and headed towards Houston.

It was very strange feeling because I was very close to this huge chapter of my life, on the other side I felt extremely tense. I knew that I could not relax until I make it to the point I started from.

Just before I dived into Houston, I had one more stop to make; I had to visit my closest friends Amy and Patrick. Both of them helped me a LOT during the whole trip. 4 years ago when I left downtown Houston, I went to their house where I spent the first night on the road. Somehow it worked out that I was also spending the last night of the trip with them. I could not ask for a better welcome in Houston.

This photo shows when I was leaving in September 2014 - when uploading, my photos have a correct orientation, not sure why they are showing this way......
    [​IMG]

And this one was taken in 2018 when I arrived....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being back in Houston and seeing my friends felt good. It also felt a bit weird because I could see that nothing really changed and I was returning into the same world I left 4 years ago. It was a bit scary.

From Patrick's house I went straight to downtown Houston where Lauren and I started this epic ride around the globe 4 years ago. At that time we packed everything on the bike, returned our apartment keys back to the renting office and headed to this spot to take the first photo of the trip.

When I arrived on the Sabine St Bridge over Buffalo Bayou I parked my bike in the spot where it was parked 4 years back. While still wearing my helmet, I leaned on my handlebars, closed my eyes and started crying like a baby. It was an incredible moment and I could see in front of my closed eyes what I went through to make this moment happen. I am not sure how long it took, maybe 10 maybe 20 minutes. In one point an older guy who was on his lunch run, when he was passing me, just randomly shouted "congratulations!!" .......yeah I know, I was like WTF!!

could hardly breath

After I calmed down, I took my helmet off, and slowly started realizing what have just had happened......I started uncontrollably laugh and scream.......YES YES YES......I just took my 990 around THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!!

[​IMG]
  12. XTWalt

XTWalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Incredible. Elite club of riders for sure.

Congratulations.
    cejnys likes this.
  13. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Nice, keep 'em coming Rad!
    Same pair of shorts for 4 years?:photog
    You don't owe us but we sure do appreciate it!!!
    cejnys and DunkingBird like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Great finish Rad!
    But some how I think it also just the start.
    JanSerce, MaNDan, cejnys and 2 others like this.
  15. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rad!!
    cejnys likes this.
  16. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!
    cejnys likes this.
  17. jeepman63

jeepman63 daplumber

Oddometer:
    CONGRATULATIONS :clap:clap:clap

glad your back...and still in one piece.

waiting on your next adventure rad, was very nerve racking at times.
    cause of you and ed i've got hooked on this ADV forum and loving every minute of it..
    ya im a long time rider but never post anything.
    im a follower of both you guys and many others.
    cejnys and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  18. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Way cool, Thank you heaps for sharing your stories, looking forward to your next adventures!!!!!
    cejnys likes this.
  19. pzvt

pzvt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats and all the best. Been following all along.
    cejnys likes this.
  20. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats Rad! I have thoroughly enjoyed your travels. Thank you for the effort and time required to do the RR. Where are you now and what is the next move?
    cejnys and mmanniko like this.