Around the World Ed-Venn-ture, the next 800 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I could not agree more. It is amazing how seemingly insignificant decisions can impact the rest of your life. Deciding at the last minute to attend an engagement party 16 years ago allowed me to meet one of my biggest clients. A few years later, I was about to buy one brand of car and bought another. The led me to membership in the BMW car club where I met some of the best friends I have. If I had bought the other brand car, I likely would not have met them. Since then, many of them have gotten into riding and we've done some amazing trips throughout the desert southwest.

The problem is when you think too much about it and get locked up and cannot make any decisions. Since coming to this realization, I have tried to be more open to opportunities and experiences I might otherwise pass on. Life is good, live it.
  2. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed,
    Both future realities are valid wether you stay or go. The good or bad futures are equally possible in either scenario. If you stay there are good and bad results and if you leave there are good and bad results.
    Either way you will never know if the other path in time was the better or worse.

It brings to mind the Robert Frost poem Road Not Taken written in 1920.

Road Not Taken
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
    And sorry I could not travel both
    And be one traveler, long I stood
    And looked down one as far as I could
    To where it bent in the undergrowth;
    Then took the other, as just as fair,
    And having perhaps the better claim,
    Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
    Though as for that the passing there
    Had worn them really about the same,
    And both that morning equally lay
    In leaves no step had trodden black.
    Oh, I kept the first for another day!
    Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
    I doubted if I should ever come back.
    I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    BruceT, Travelin, SmilinJoe and 3 others like this.
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can stop reading if you think this is BS, but I wanted to take my parallel paths in this one universe one step further.
    Deciding if I should stay of go (btw I stayed), the potential outcomes for each senario and deciding which path is better may not be totally random. I believe it is possible to steer your future and choose which path is best for you by understanding the probability for each potential outcome.
    Ever hear of the Monte Hall Problem?
    It goes something like this:

There are 3 doors, behind which are two goats and a car.You pick a door (call it door A). You’re hoping for the car of course.Monty Hall, the game show host, examines the other doors (B & C) and always opens one of them with a goat (Both doors might have goats; he’ll randomly pick one to open)

Here’s the game: Do you stick with door A (original guess) or switch to the other unopened door? Does it matter?

Surprisingly, the odds aren’t 50-50. If you switch doors you’ll win 2/3 of the time!

Check this out if you want to learn more.

http://www.montyhallproblem.com/
  4. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    I can tell you where we all are, Ed is traveling the world his way, and the rest of us are all sitting at a PC somewhere reading about it!:photog
    shuswap1 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  5. OtterChaos

OtterChaos Guzzi Sud!

Oddometer:
    I read your stuff Ed and don't think it's BS. I don't comment usually on philosophical posts as I believe your journey is yours alone and while it is valuable to read about it I don't actually have any real input to give regarding your choices.
  6. JetJockJim

JetJockJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I flew jets in the Navy - often at the end of a mission if we still had gas to burn we would play Maypole. A specific "bullseye" point was selected (usually a spot over the ground) and we would all split up and fly outbound from the maypole in different directions - sometimes as many as 20 jets. Then after everyone was split up for a few minutes the flight lead would call over the radio "Fights On!". With that signal we all headed back, individually, towards the maypole - the intent to have a big dogfight "fur ball"- each person shot (by simulated rear quarter missiles or guns)would "kill remove" from the fight and the last one standing was the winner. Of course 20 jets heading into the same spot of the sky at the same time inevitably made for some color. We relied on a good lookout habits and probably most of all the "Big sky, Little airplane" theory - in other wards - pure luck. Seems like someone always had a story of a close call. I know mine - a jet flashed straight across my flight path from low to high with 800 mph of closure and missing me by 10-20ft. Neither of us saw each other. From the time I saw him to the time he had passed was probably a 1/100th of a second. Less than a blink of an eye. By the time I reacted - he was long gone. Pure luck. I remember endlessly thinking that the smallest delay, the smallest fidget on the stick would have created a 20ft delay. How lucky I was that I averted disaster. But then I thought about it logically - yes, being a 1/100th of a second later could have been a disaster - but what if I had been 1/100 of a second earlier? Then it would have been a 40ft miss, or 2/100th of a second would have been a 60ft miss. In other words hitting that bullseye is hard because there are so many other possibilities. Having the miss wasn't luck. Having an actual midair is luck. (or bad luck). That's why the big sky little airplane theory works. And for all the close calls an actual midair was exceedingly rare. Lalo missed those terorrists and it was close - but he might have missed them by a few more feet than he did and it would still be a scary story but the miss would have been greater - or he could have had 3-4 guys grabbing him and still have made it and it would have been even scarier. It wasn't so much a lucky escape - it would have been a lucky catch for the terrorist. Whenever I think of the coincidences of seeing long lost friend in a far away location or meeting someone famous or chance encounter with someone that turns epic - I don't think "wow what are the odds" Instead it makes me wonder how many almost chance encounters occur every day that you miss because you were too early too late, or weren't observant enough to notice. I think randomness and coincidence are more common that we imagine. Its usually not fate - but luck. All we can really do is to maintain situational awareness to the best of our abilities so that we can see more opportunities (or threats) and guide our actions appropriately. This is what Lalo does so brilliantly. The terrorist might have got him if he was two up with Tam - or if he was less skilled a driver - or if he didn't perceive the connection between the eery first group and the angry second group. The fact that Lalo has made it this far with no serious issues is because he has a good situational awareness, judgement as to his own abilities and is excellent at taking intelligent risk and then managing that risk - and of course that Ed is a very very good rider (I can personally attest to this), an obsessive planner, and healthy. If he had Tam along with him, or if his skills as a rider were less, or he had a twisted ankle or was sick - Lalo would not have taken that road. A hundred riders could set out to do the exact same trip as Lalo - and the vast majority would have had something go wrong that would have ended it. That is what makes this RR so unique. Anyone can go on the road for 4 years with money and take no real risk and call it an adventure - most people would probably even agree. But its the combination of Eds forced (financially limited) resourcefulness combined with his willingness to take risk that make this so special. The keys to his success are not financial, physical or mechanical. This is really a triumph of the mind and spirit. Glad you're OK buddy!
  7. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, we all make hundreds if not thousands of choices each day. Most are seemingly insignificant and inconsequential but some are not and they do not reveal their significance or importance until later and often much later. We never know ahead of time which one of those little choices is going to make the difference and it does not pay to dwell too much on any one. Make the best decision you can with the information available and move on or in this case take the extra day.

A few weeks ago our neighbor and friend was coming home from work traveling a two lane road. An oncoming car was slowing to make a turn and the vehicle directly behind them decided to go around on the gravel shoulder. Loss of control ensued and the resulting head on collision killed our neighbor. If she was 30 seconds on either side of that exact instant things would likely have been much different.

We can't know ahead of time the results of our little decisions but we can trust our gut and take heed when something does not feel right. So far, it looks like your instincts have served you well.
    RiderRick and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Glad to see I have everyone thinking about fate, chance and opportunity.

I met this girl once.
    She told me this incredible story about a life changing event.
    She told me that she was in this horrible car accident that nearly killed her. As she was recovering in the hospital, a Co worker filled in for her and covered a business meeting on the East Coast on her behalf. And that Co worker was killed when the plane crashed on route to that meeting.
    So in the end, the car accident that nearly killed her ended up saving her life. She told me she made a full recovery, quit her job and hit the road traveling to try and understand it all.
    Fate, chance and opportunity. How can we change what is written?
  9. Jerry Withajay

Jerry Withajay Long timer

Oddometer:
    Philosophically speaking... jet pilots are nuts!
    Bob356, Kostya and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  10. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lalo,
    Great job putting complex thoughts in writing, finally you are closer to living in the moment! Don't try to figure it out, nor predict. After that road, with it's high pucker factor, anyone would be trying to "Think Twice" about the next move. You will know when you are good to go, when you wake up that morning, otherwise take another day off.

--> Two Thumbs Up <--

Mike B.
  11. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When you come to a fork in the road, take it. >Yogi Berra<
    Don't over think this.
    RoosterMan and Y E T I like this.
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok, enough philosophy. Back to the Edventure.
    Heading east again now, making my way toward Nepal. Of course, as always, I am not taking the fastest, most direct route.
    Leaving my hotel room here in McLeod Ganj . Here's my view the past couple of nights from my bed and balcony. Not too bad for $9 a night. Hot shower and somewhat clean sheets without that many big holes. It is amazing how such simple things bring joy when you go without for so long.

[​IMG]
    Fraydenz, luckychucky, BillUA and 9 others like this.
  13. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good pics my friend
  14. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That flag sticker had me worried the minute I saw it. Glad you made it.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I brought the bike into a KTM shop today to have a new chain fitted. The chain comes with sprockets so they installed the set on the bike. It's an endless chain so they had to remove the foot peg, shifter assembly and other stuff in the way to get the chain on ,Not an easy task. The bill came out to less than $50. You can't even buy a rear socket for that much in the US. And I got an o ring chain and counter shafts sprocket plus the installation at a KTM dealer. Plus they bled the brakes, gave me a master link so I can use the old chain as a spare and they solved my vibration problem. Turns out it isn't a bent front axle, it was loose steering head bearings. So a little grease, a little tightening and that was it. So now I have two front axles I don't really need. But it gives me more confidence in my bike. Turns out the front axle is not such a weak part after all.
    And I am liking the bike even more.
    What I am not liking are these shitty Indian roads. They are almost as bad as west africa. So many potholes and bumps, you have to focus on missing them all as best as possible and not enjoying the scenery or the shear joy of riding this fine machine.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Right now I am camped out in a half constructed hotel, or what appears could be a hotel or hotel like structure or a concrete shell of what could be a hotel one day if the money didn't run out.
    It is built on the side of a cliff overlooking the valley with a river below.
    I was about ready to go to sleep and up walks a guy with a flashlight.
    He doesn't speak any English and he sees me sitting here in the dark typing on my tablet.
    Now what must he be thinking?
    Might be calling the cops for all I know.
    I don't know why I even bother trying to camp here in India. It's nearly impossible to find a place away from people. And a guest house would have cost maybe 5 or 6 bucks.
    But I wanted to camp. I sort of miss it at times. I like being next to my bike at night too. Not in a sexual way. More in a protective way.
    So right now I am waiting to see if the dude comes back or the cops show up.
    I haven't been arrested yet. That would be something new.
    But I would rather just get some rest. These roads wore me out today.
    Rich Rider, BillUA, Travelin and 15 others like this.
  17. Ruud109

Ruud109 Dutch in Barcelona

Oddometer:
    amazing stuff, and yes i too think about this philosophical stuff (somehow usually connected with women in our lives). Godspeed Lalo, keep it real!

Ruud
    Travelin and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  18. Chat Lunatique

Chat Lunatique aka El Gato Loco

Oddometer:
    Man that's so true. If you cross into west Nepal at Mahindranager, you will get to ride the Mahendra hwy. Smooth straight bliss all the way across the country. Kinda boring normally for a rider, but after Indian roads it's soooo nice to be able to look at scenery while riding insted of just 10 feet in front of you. Plus Nepali drivers won't run you off the road when passing
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The abandoned future hotel i slept in last night was not so abandoned. In the morning the owner and his son came over and started working on it. He told me he hopes to have it completed in 3 months. So I suppose I was their first guest.
    I slept well, now rested and ready for another day in India.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    If that is the case, I am looking forward to Nepal. I have only ridden 25 kms this morning and have already been run off the road 3 times. I looked this morning on my gps, I still have over 1000 kms in India thru Uttarakhand before I get to Nepal. I hope me and the bike will last on these roads. Having a cold beer on the beach in Goa with you sounds pretty good right now.