Around the World Ed-Venn-ture, the next 800 days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Axman69

Axman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about you cutting loose with a few of these "good pictures" or vids we keep hearing about :y0!.
    Thanks buddy. Been here all along and am really missing that other side of ur reports. How much longer is the cursed wifi speeds going to hinder you?
  2. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Waiting for the good pics? What do ya call the last few pages??
    ONandOFF likes this.
  3. Axman69

Axman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Right on, Ed!...There's always another bus that comes along and besides ur my hero and u would never bend to some non motorcycling owning lady.
    Some day u'll be cruzin and a sleek curvy bike zooms by u and u'll know instantly by how that posterior sits on the saddle - she's the one! :jack
    #1Fan likes this.
  4. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    excellent pics!!
  5. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Forget about trying to learn Thai. I need to learn Russian!
    Good stuff is coming up.

[​IMG]
  6. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
  7. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Shit that Muktinath stretch! And here I was planning to take my versys 650 up there this summer! There is no way a bigger bike can that trail unless you're big yourself. I'm just 70 kgs and getting smaller LOL.

Jai KTM 390 haha.
  8. Tomaso

Tomaso Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm constantly wowed at your amazing level of energy, Ed! When most people (me, anyway) would be looking for some shade for an afternoon siesta, you rent a bike to ride around a lake, or, what the hell, go on a 5 day mountain climb. A bow to the magnitude of your skill to make every day a true adventure.

And that Svetlana is a real lapochka! Perhaps an Edventure to Russia one day?
    Surfbozo and Brick Top like this.
  9. Axman69

Axman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me too
  10. Axman69

Axman69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a sign of ur wonderful heart....scratching and playing with them puppers...and tossing kids up on ur bikes....this is very good karma and explains why u have been able to continue what u love....and why we have been invited along...u give selflessly and we take gladly -thanks, Ed.
  11. atokad

atokad wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer:
    I predict in about 3-5 years the Duke 390 may be outselling the Enfield! KTM should post some pics like yours all over the billboards in India, and it would happen. Especially if they put some India dudes on them. (not that you wouldn't make the perfect model, but you get the idea) What a perfect bike, as you have said all along. :thumb
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I've had maybe one hour of sleep in the past two days. I usually try to avoid them, but three 30 cent energy drinks have kept me going last night and today.
    But when times are good, sleeping takes a back seat to living.
    I will try and catch on some post tomorrow.
  13. meZzz

meZzz n00b

Oddometer:
    Be safe out there,
    and keep your amazing stories and great photos coming.
  14. Dan Lorenze

Dan Lorenze Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to sound like Captain Obvious, but that little KTM is heroic... Enough about the bike, what's going on with the Ruski?
  15. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I too hate to be captain Obvious but I suspect Ed maybe little busy and I think he answered your question Dan

Dan Lorenze likes this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Radim is there now on his 990 - so it's possible on a big bike!
    Red liner likes this.
  17. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was loads of fun with 990, no problem at all; I had it also fully packed (most of the riders leave their stuff in Pokhara).

I was more concern about guys on small bikes because their suspension travel is very short (including 390 duke), their tires are not for off-road and they have small front wheel. In many places, mainly in mud, they were struggling big stile while I was just easily riding through.

I would say great job Ed to get your 390 up there!
    Fraydenz, ONandOFF and SmilinJoe like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    No - you da man
    I just went slower over the rocks and bumps but that 990 must have been a handful in the mud. Plus my 390 is light.......I don't think I would have gone on that swing bridge on a 990. But I do remember that one bridge you went on. I have video of me riding on it in 3rd gear!
    Hurry up and get to Thailand!
    luckychucky and Kona990 like this.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    OK, while Rad had fun riding to Muktinith on his huge bike, I rode up the same roads to Jomsom to do a big 6 day planned trek. I would start from Jomsom, spend 2 days hiking to Tilicho Lake, then do the usually Annapurna trek to Muktinith and then back to Jomsom.

Here I am in the first few hours of my hike

[​IMG]

I came across a few other local people and they asked where I was going.
    Everyone gave me the same message in different ways.
    Some said it wasn't possible
    Others said that I wasn't prepared.
    And one guy said I was going to die.

The first thing I was not prepared for was getting water.
    Even though the roads I was riding were muddy at the start, I was now in the desert. And there was not a lot of flowing water here. So I only had 3 liters of water with me and was running out. I asked someone where I could find water and he said it would be another 4 hours. I only had about half a liter left that point. I considered turning back.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It turned out to be only another hour of walking up the mountain before I found water. The guy said it would be 4 hours. Either I was walking much faster than he expected or he was exaggerating the truth. And if he was not being truthful, then perhaps the other people were as well. So I filled up my two 1.5 liter bottles with water from the small stream and I continued on.
    It was getting dark and I was hoping to find a yak herder that could give me food and shelter for the night. I saw some yaks but I saw no other people up that high on the mountain. My GPS said I was up 4200 meters and as the sun started to go down, it was getting very cold.
    I came across a small rock shelter and decided this was going to be my home for the night. I had dreams on eating a yak steak for dinner but instead I munched on some trail mix and eat two of my five snickers candy bars I had with me.
    I rolled out my sleeping bag onto dirt floor of the shelter. I used some dry grass I found in there for padding - just like you would see on one of those survivor shows. The sun had just sat and I was already freezing. I just got into my sleeping bag, which was not insulated enough to keep me warm enough for the cold temperatures I was about to experience so I put on both of my t-shirts, my Rev'it thermal liner and my water proof jacket. And that is how I slept - or tried to sleep. I curled up into a ball and just tried to keep warm as best as I could.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]