Around the World on a 48 Indian Chief

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rtwdoug, Feb 18, 2007.

1. rtwdoug

rtwdoug prominent underachiever Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought I'd post this on here, as people are always asking about the trip.
    November of 05 I bought a basketcase Indian, & rebuilt it over the winter. Last April I took off from home & got back in Sept.
    heres the link to the trip.

http://www.motosapiens.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=f8d2e2310976203b6350c2acdad91f60

My original page domain got hijacked by a nutty ex girlfriend, and when I moved it, the 1st part of the trip didnt make the transfer (I think its on my backup CD, but Im a computer idiot & dont know how to get it to open)
    Anyhow, I headed to Canada from Alabama. You can fly on the same plane as your bike out of Can, but not out of the US (crazy new homeland security rules) see www.motorcycleservices.com Only cost 1100 for the bike. not cheap, but much less than crossing the pacific!
    Anyhow, from the UK onward, the trip page is intact.
    Was alot of fun, and Russia was awesome. (the roads were horrible tho!)
    I met alot of great people, & I look forward to doing it again.
    People here thought I was crazy to do it on an Indian, alot thought Id never make it, and some just thought I was making it up, because it was impossible :)

Whats next? well in 09 Im gonna ride a chopper around the world. No one has done that before. 09 is the 30th anniversary of Easy Rider, so Im gonna build a duplicate of Fonda's Captain America panhead & ride it. Should be interesting....

Aint nuttin to it but to do it!

Doug
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    An incredible journey!! Thanks for the link to your site.. lots of great pics.. it'll take us a long time to go thru them, but well worth the effort. :thumb
  3. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    That, is so amazingly awesome. Reading about your trip now. Thanks for the link and keep us posted on the next ride.
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Very cool!!
    Looks like you made alot of friends in your travels. I'll be spending alot of time looking at your website!
  5. pistol777

pistol777 Freedom Seeker

Oddometer:
    You are the real deal. One question do you speak Russian looks like you were scoring left and right. Nice trip.
  6. rtwdoug

Oddometer:
    Before I did the trip I read several stories from people who rode across russia. Most of them did it in 2-4 weeks, & they didnt stop anywhere, & didnt meet people. Which to me, was the best part of the trip, meeting people. I read a story in the BMW mag about a couple old guys on new bikes, all they did was complain about how bad the roads were & how scared they were.
    Sure, the roads suck. one stretch took me 2 days to go 100 miles. I bent a rear axle, broke both rear shock springs, snapped the front shock in half, broke mirrors, crap like that. But the people were SO cool. Especially the bikers. I'd NEVER met bikers that were so cool. There were times I'd leave a town, & guys from that town called ahead to the next, and they would be at the edge of town waiting me to show up. The hospitality would kill you! always takin me places, to dinner, to see the sights, etc. I didnt speak a word of Russian when I started, but by the time I left 2 months later, I could get by. I did learn to read russian a bit before I got there, so I could read road signs, (when available) signs for stores, hotels, etc.
    I never had problems with people there. Not everyone was friendly, some just stared at me, but I never felt threatened enough to pull out my insurance ;)
    And the bike rallies... wow, they were awesome! I was the celebrity at several, got dragged onstage, given presents, offered so much beer & vodka, (and I dont drink!) etc.
    So, if any of you are thinking about it, by all means, do it! Next year I'm gonna ride across Russia again, on a modern bike. Mostly because I want to visit all the people I met. This time I will sell the bike in Vladivostok & fly home. Shipping over the pacific is $$$$!

Doug
  7. hd_topor

hd_topor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The link ain't working :dirtdog
  8. rtwdoug

Oddometer: