Around the World on a 50cc Honda Ruckus scooter (with a bicycle in tow)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by metal, Mar 18, 2015.

1. metal

metal President of FRONJ

Oddometer:
    Leaving today on the first leg of a 7 year trip around the world on a Honda Ruckus scooter. The idea for this trip has been floating around my head for several years, and I'm finally starting. On this first leg I will be riding my scooter with my bicycle in tow up the coast to Portland and then will be heading to Whitefish, MT. I'll leave my bicycle in Whitefish (anybody know someone that has a bit of space in a shed or a garage) and then head to St. Francisville, LA where a friend of mine is getting married on April 11th. From there I will ride to Albuquerque where I will meet up with a couple of friends that I hiked with a few weeks on the Pacific Crest Trail and leave my scooter with their friend. On April 22nd I should be in Lordsburg, NM and should be starting a thru hike of the Continental Divide the following day.

If all goes to plan, I should be back in Whitefish, MT by the middle of September where I'll meet up with my bicycle and ride the Great Divide Mountain Bike Route back to New Mexico, meet up with the scooter and ride home.

If the concept and equipment for this loop work out I will be heading south early 2016. Mexico, central and South America for 1.5-2 years and then Europe, Asia and Africa for 4.5 years.

This all might seem a bit crazy, but in 2007 I did a 10,000 mile tour in South America on a 100cc motorcycle. In 2010 I Ironmaned both the Baja 1000 and Vegas to Reno. In 2011 I rode a bicycle 5,500 miles from Big Sky, MT down to Cabo San Lucas and then up to Nogales, AZ. In 2012 I thru hiked the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail and when I finished I rode a $100 bicycle up to Skagway, AK. In 2013 I did a 10,000 mile bicycle tour on India and Nepal. This trip is all about massing up all of my interests and taking my time to see the world.

A few months back I made a short video for a National Geographic contest describing my trip. I didn't win the contest, but the video does a better job at explaining this trip than words alone.

[​IMG]

Here is what the scooter looked like the day I left.

My route as of April 22nd. Unfortunately my route from home to Albuquerque (March 18, 2015 to April 21, 2015) was not able to make it onto the Trackleaders website.

Click HERE for my past route and current location.
    You'll probably have to zoom the map out to see past locations.

Follow me on Instagram at the link below
    https://www.instagram.com/theworldsfastestindian/
    dixiethedog likes this.
  2. metal

metal President of FRONJ

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to my Trackleaders account. Scott Morris' website takes SPOT's track information and overlays it onto a map. He has kept my page alive even though my CDT thru hike is over so I now have a place where all of my tracks will be stored. Unfortunately with Spot alone I can only have 1 week of tracks stored at once. You'll probably have to zoom the map out to see my complete route.

http://trackleaders.com/cdti.php?name=The_World_s_Fastest_Indian

Here's a link to my Spot tracker:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0OGWzWyCfMOY5p4Vl4NXWJxyPXULDZJQE

Link to my Spot Adventures page. Still trying to figure all of this out.

http://findmespot.com/<wbr>spotadventures/index.php/view_<wbr>adventure?tripid=336296
  3. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW, amazing and challenging itinerary! Travel safe and looking forward to seeing this trip unfold. Wishing you blue skies and wind at your back.
    Sub'd.
  4. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool! :D

Do you ever have problems getting from one place to another if there is only a highway available?

Here in BC, you wouldn't be allowed to go on any highway, and sometimes there is no other way to get somewhere.
    round_i likes this.
  5. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in; what a stud...

Be safe and we'll be watching from Arkansas
  6. Stinky151

Stinky151 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get in touch with me on the bike. I am sure I can find space in the garage or storage unit for it.
  7. blainerides

blainerides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy travels! Will be watching for updates. Subscribed! Blaine in Seattle
  8. Wildmojo2

Wildmojo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice, but where is all your gear and does the rear tire of the bike hold or does or wear fast.
    Edit: the video explains the gear question.
  9. JettPilot

JettPilot ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    I would bet good money that your plans will change... You seem to have a lot of experience which is cool, so you obviously know what you are doing and are capable of a big adventure like this. You will have plenty of " cheerleaders ", and rightfully so, doing a trip like this is awesome, and I really look forward to seeing your report and pictures !!! BUT, I am going to be the one that tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. The one thing I think you are doing really wrong is that you seem to be trying really hard to impress everyone by doing a big trip on a ridiculously tiny, inappropriate bike. What you describe sounds like the trip of a lifetime, I sure as heck would want that trip to be as awesome as it could possibly be. I would use a better, faster, proper bike that would be more capable and more fun. I would not settle for a lesser experience just to try to impress others by doing it on a ruckus.

I get that some people like small and light... I would look hard at the Honda CRF250L a really great small adventure bike, or the Honda Wave 125 if you really like and want something light and small. Those will be a lot more capable an will allow you to enjoy your ride a lot more.

SAFETY: I would never trust my fate, or risk such a long trip by trusting that everyone will just pass me safely... Are you kidding, that is a setup for disaster... People drive texting, distracted, half asleep, and you are just going to trust the whole world to see and pass you for that long ??? You might get lucky, but is a HUGE RISK. I would take some of my fate back into my own hands and ride a bike that can match the speeds of traffic.

I am not trying to change your mind, not even possible since you have already started your trip... What I am trying to do is get your thinking.... If you find you do not like the long slow miles, and passing traffic on that Ruckus, keep an open mind, forget trying to impress everyone, and go with whatever will let you enjoy your trip the most. If you like and proceed with the Honda Ruckus, at least get the biggest, brightest Hyperlight flashing LED taillight they sell, mount it on the back of your ruckus, and have it flashing the entire time you are on the highway. This will be a huge improvement to your visibility to passing cars.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

I certainly wish you good luck, and have fun... But addressing reality and safety is important and can make the difference between having the best adventure of your life, or having a total disaster that ruins it.

Mike

Attached Files:

10. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In,cannot imagine how this is gonna play out. Good luck..
  11. Peak2Peak

Peak2Peak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hell yes man. Living the dream. Safe travels.
  12. NevBlu

NevBlu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your attitude appears strong, so go for it. Lots of handle bar time and it appears to be an adventure like 'Jupiter's Travels' yet on a small scooter. I will be watching. Again, good luck and expect the unexpected.

:)
  13. Wildmojo2

Wildmojo2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don 't think someone plans a 7 year world trip just to impress people. Go for it and if you ever need a place to stay for you or your bike in the Netherlands, you're welcome.
    SpeedoJosh likes this.
  14. metal

metal President of FRONJ

Oddometer:
    L.B.S.
    I rode my bicycle from Montana to Washington and then down the coast, so I know that there are ways for slower vehicles to travel. The legality is another thing. At the end of my ride yesterday I got to a section where the highway didn't have a side access road. There was a bicycle path that said no motorized vehicles were allowed. When I rode my bicycle on this section years back, bicycle were in a lane on the other side of a Jersey barrier. I chose the safer and less of the two evils and just rode slowly on the bicycle path. I'm sure I'll come across many more sections like this in the US. Outside of the US it should be much easier.
  15. metal

metal President of FRONJ

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I'm on a computer I'm unfamiliar with, so hopefully this works. This was taken by a co-worker of mine at the bicycle shop I work at. Shows my current iteration of scoot packing. I have a drybag under the seat. The side bags are Wolfman Expeditions. On the handlebar I have a Seal Line dry bag attached by a Revelate Designs mount. The brown backpack for now was an easy place to put some gear that I want easy access to. I'll probably ditch this if I can find a better solution.
    The Giant Loop that was in the video was the Great Basin which was way too big. I bought a bike that came with the Wolfman bags and they fit perfect and are super solid.
    The rear tire on the bicycle is not under load, so hopefully it'll last a long time. My front on my touring bicycle which only handles brakes last for 20,000 miles. This loop will give me a better idea on how everything holds up.
  16. metal

metal President of FRONJ

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I too would bet money that my plans will change. After this first loop I'll see to what extent they change.
    This trip for me isn't about impressing people. For me it's about seeing as much of the world at a slow enough pace to appreciate it. I've done tours on bigger bikes in the past. I've had a KTM 950 ADV and 950 SE. Both were amazing bikes, held a ton of gear and could take you down some of the roughest trails you could find, but they were too fast. I did a 1300 mile day on my 950 because I could. I look at a map of the world and 1300 miles can take you clear across multiple countries. The Ruckus forces me to slow down. I've done a lot of human powered travel over the last couple of years, and I like the slower pace. People also seem more welcoming when I show up on foot or a bicycle, especially in areas where people are less off. They could see themselves one day traveling on a bicycle or with a backpack. You show up on a $20,000 motorcycle looking like a Stormtrooper and people are a bit more intimidate.
    I plan to stay on slower backroads. I feel like I'm at less of a risk on the Ruckus that I am on my bicycle, but indeed I am still at risk of a distracted driver. Riding on the side of a freeway will be a last resort.
    modette, round_i and 125uCrazy like this.
  17. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.

I think an around the world trip on a tiny bike would be a great adventure, you really do see a lot more traveling slowly. My choice would probably be a small bike without the belt drive like a Cub or CG125 but what do I know? The Ruckus is supposed to be tough and reliable.

I'll be following along.
    dixiethedog likes this.
  18. VikB

VikB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a great trip. I'm a MTB tourist and an ADV rider. I love your rig. Looks like it will be a blast. :clap:evil
  19. dan0

dan0 just going with it.

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip idea. I met Rene Cormier at a talk he did at Max BMW in CT. Two things stood out that fall in line with your trip.

He talked about his "slow-i-tiss" basically talking a the time he could, never rushing to to keep a strict schedule, except for keeping in time with his visas.

When I talked to him afterwords about some of the bike choice and prep he said, "And you'll always come across somebody doing a RTW trip on a Vespa."

Safe travels.
  20. doc_simple

doc_simple Meat popsickle

Oddometer:
    It looks like an amazing trip. Im insanely jealous and can't figure out how you can set aside 7 years!
    That aside it looks fantastic. I started riding in a 600 supersport, then a 650 v strom for the dual sport goodness and finally my wr250r. Maybe a ruckus is the next logical step? &#128541;
    I'll be with the rest of these inmates reading about your ride and wishing you safe travels.