arrghh - i've been zundapped.

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by stainlesscycle, Aug 12, 2014.

1. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    picked up a 1972 gs125 this weekend - trying to get it running - missing some parts - searching etc...

i have it running and idling pretty good, but the damn shift shaft/selector is goofy. i took it apart, and saw the shift pawls are in backwards - i fixed that, now i can't figure out the return spring. i have the workshop manual and it's no help...

anyone ever rebuild the shift shaft on a rickman zundapp, or ks100-125-175/gs125/mc125? or maybe someone here has a bottom end laying in the corner of their shop, that they'd like to get rid of - i know it makes a good door stop, but i need it.. or if anyone has a seat/brake pedal/shift lever/shift shaft assembly/some other little parts from a gs125/mc125 i'm buying..

[​IMG]
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Those motors may make good door stops,but Ive sold one in parts for over 1000.00,shift parts are very hard to find in the US at times.

Some 2 stroke hotrod guys used to make a living off trying to make Zundapps and Sachs engines shift better.
  3. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    i wish i could find one of those guys right now :)
  4. Mr. Carts

Mr. Carts Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    unfortunately my shifting shaft works perfectly fine. it's the selector that is giving me fits. i think i found someone in belgium that i believe can help..

this is the puzzle..

[​IMG]

and here is where i am at.

[​IMG]

return spring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i believe i have the return spring wrong, but i can't fit any other way that i can see. and it's the way the manual says...... and the selector setup the way it is will not turn..
  6. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    YAY! patrick.wargee in beligium got me all straightened up. it is back together and now i am in business! and back to the parts searching..
  7. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check and search out Terry Davis on Mark's vintage swapmeet. He is a Zundappaholic.
  8. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    yeah, i have corresponded with him a bit..
  9. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool, I've talked with Terry a couple of times over different stuff, good guy.
  10. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    mechanicals are coming along. seat is wrong. whatever. put a mikuni on it, might switch back to the bing..

[​IMG]
  11. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    bing carb fixed all issues. put a husky rear brake lever on it (can't find a stock one..) - took a spin, and it moves right along. quicker than i expected...
  12. erkmania

erkmania I'll take better everytime

Oddometer:
    What does "moves right along" mean? Can you compare it with something more contemporary? My memories aren't scaled very well.

BTW, I really like the snapped on airbox cover. It's as if the bike says that it needs you as much as you need it. :deal
  13. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:

it's an air cooled piston port. so i would have to say it's faster than many other 125cc air cooled piston ports of the era i.e. penton/dkw (sachs 6a/6b), and yamaha at1.. it handles better than both. it would give a yamaha mx125 and other reed 125 air coolers from the early 70's a run for their money. it handles better than most too. by handling i mean turning. the suspension is not great. i've ridden most of the 125's of the era... a well tuned hodaka super combat would probably beat it to 30mph though. it's surprisingly fast. they did advertise 18hp, i dunno, hard to tell, but seat of the pants says probably. it has a nice top end. shifter throw is obnoxiously long...

of course this is only after riding it for a short time - have not got all the bugs worked out, but the motor is strong. the rear brakes and suspension need work.

overall it's a really nice rider, friendly power delivery (linear with a nice high mid hit), and ergonomically very nice. short wheelbase makes it very nimble. there's some issues: footpegs suck, shifter throw is bad as mentioned, gs125/mc125 specific parts are especially hard to source (almost no interchange with rickman and ks125), although motor parts interchange with other models. steel wheels suck. clutch pull is a little hard, but a cable change might fix that. i tried rerouting, and it helped slightly. it doesn't feel heavy when riding, but i'm guessing it is.. rubber mounted motor is neato.
  14. erkmania

erkmania I'll take better everytime

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
  15. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    i played with timing today, retarded it to 080" - easy starting, no pinging, and very nice overrev. i had set it at .100" and it pinged a bit on the top (and that's on 112 octane...) and gave me a very slight kickback if i wasn't firm with the kicker...
  16. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    got myself another one. cleaned carb and changed plug. went for a spin. runs pretty good, needs some air the tires... and a serious tank cleanout.

[​IMG]

this one is more correct, but skid plate, front fender and street tires are wrong..
  17. Scootern29

Scootern29 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stainless, walk away from the Zundapp's, you are out of control. :eek1
  18. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    2 is more than enough. i may trade one off for something ugly i can race.
  19. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    As long as your binging on the Z bikes........Ive got a nice Zundapp Rickman frame here with your name on it.

Those are booth really cool looking bikes you'
    ve got now though.
  20. stainlesscycle

Oddometer:
    i have been looking for a rickman zundapp roller with no motor... i've passed on a couple over the years, when i should have at least picked up one.