Arrow helmet decals

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by CodeMonkee, Mar 4, 2002.

1. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mentioned in the tail-lights thread that I was going to buy these arrow decals from MotoLoco ( http://www.motoloco.com/ ) - well they came in the mail the other day and I installed them tonight. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

That photo is the rear of the helmet with ambient lighting.

[​IMG]

That photo is of the left arrow with ambient light.

[​IMG]

That photo is of the right arrow with ambient light.

[​IMG]

That photo is in a darkened room with a flash, manipulated with Photoshop by lowering the brightness until only the decal showed. The idea being to simulate darkness and show the contrast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The material is kind of almost felt like, not smooth like most decals. The installation instructions are fairly detailed and well written (I wish the instructions for the decel switch were as clear, but then how hard is it to put on decals?).

I ordered the yellow/silver instead of the red-orange/silver because I knew that the yellow would be brighter at night, but now I can see that during the day the red-orange has more contrast and is more visible with my white helmet. Oh well, compromises, compromises - I guess I need more visibility at night than during the day.

FWIW,
    LCB
  2. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lauren,

Nice pics. I've got reservations about being to conspicious (sp):night. Ever hear of target fixation? It's good to be sceen but will people run you over because of it? I don't have an answer but will probably put some kind of reflection on my new Shoei when it shows on the door step.

Greg
    :stupid
  3. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the Shoei is a full face, you can add a "halo". Costs about ten bucks and gives you a ~1" wide band of 3M-like material all the way around the helmet. It's on a stetchy band...just slip it on the helmet and it stays as long as you want. If you don't like it, just slip it off, no sticky mess from removed decals....

You can always upgrade to something more permanentm, but the halo lets you try it out without committing.

Thwack
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    This is a serious issue. You want to be conspicuous but not *too* conspicuous. Tough balance.

I got lots of reflectors on my ass, plus hyperlights, and the built-in reflectors on the aerostich duds, but that's about it from the rear. I don't know the answer, but i definitely know the problem.
  5. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    Well, given all the visual competition, I think it is may be not so easy to be "too conspicuous" on a motorcycle without going to extreme measures (neon lights, hundreds of lights/reflectors such as you see in Aisia/India).

Indeed, I think people who try to be conspicuous are more likely to run the risk of being too confusing than too conspicuous. This is why I give a lot of thought to where I place reflectors and lights, what they do (flash, stay on continuously, etc.).
    One of the reasons I bought a white helmet was because it is more conspicuous both day and night.

I of course have some reflective material on my 'Stich clothing (a hi-viz Darien jacket and Roadcrafter pants). I have a white reflector on each of my Orlieb bags in the shape of a traffic caution warning sign, a florescent BMW triangle on the bottom of my rear fender (took it off my helmet), and now I have those arrow reflectors on my helmet. I also have my LED tail-light and the hyper-lites as an aux. stop signal.

I do not recommend lite-buddies or run-n-lites, or most of those signals enhancments that flash rear lights as I believe they tend to confuse others as to your intentions. They do grab your attention, but then make you wonder waht this person is doing.
  6. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Blech.

Why try to overcome the disadvantages of a motorcycle? instead use the advantages to your..uh advantage. Or turn the disadvantage into an advantage, wgich only take a change in habit and mindset rather than money. Target fixation sucks ass.

My advantages are: no distraction, better input from the environment, accelleration, smaller size.

Just because you have a "right" to be in that lane doesn't mean they will acknowledge it.
  7. Rod

Rod Wacko Ocker

Oddometer:
    the comments that ALL of you have made are very relevent.
    being a defensive rider with out giving way to the mindset of cage drives is a very tough call.
    I also think that having ALL that relective gear can cause YOU, the rider to become complacent and YOU drop your guard.
    yes cages try and run over us in various ways ......but we have the upper as chopperman has mention.
    I find the best ways is to keep this bit of advice in the back of my mind. "an accident is cause by two or more poeple doing the wrong thing at the right time"
    We bike riders have it all over cages when it comes to avoiding a accident, WE just have to be ON the ball %100 of the time.
  8. CodeMonkee

Oddometer:
    WHy do anything?

Just because I try to decrease my bike's disadvantages, doesn't mean that I am also decreasing it's advantages. Putting a reflector on my helmet, or Hyper-lights on the rear, doesn't make my bike handle any worse, accelerate any less, etc.

As for these mods making me feel safer and therefore I let down my guard - come on, that doesn't necessarily follow either. I've had too many friends get hit by cars for me to let my guard down.

All I am doing is trying to decrease the risks without looking like this:

Attached Files:

9. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    And you are not reducing your risks. just painting a target on your head

conspicuity is horseshit
  10. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn Chop, ya have to sugar coat everything :evil

I've found that being aggressive rather than passive works best. Use that right hand for some adventure entertainment by accelerating past the guy in the next lane until he/she sees you, then slow back down. Stay out of blind spots, aim at the bastards making their turns, stay away from riding straight lines and use the WHOLE lane. Pisses some folks off but guess what, they saw you! Ride erratic as hell :twitch

Works for me,
    Greg
  11. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Here is my skew on the issue. I bought the ugliest Beetlejuice looking jacket I could find. I purposefully bought the MPY GS because it would be more conspicuous. I got runnin' lights to be more visible, I got the Givi topcase with the high mounted brakelight to be more conspicuous. I am the size of a house and I wear a white helmet. Seems I have done all there is to do to be conspicuous.

I had been sitting next to the stoplight we pulled away from 500yds down the road. I always leave the bike in gear and am prepared to seek the softest way out when I am stopped. I am the most unpredictable rider there is like Greg said. Ask Freaky. I am predicatably unpredictable. I am aggressive when I ride. SO I ride in a manner to make myself noticed and not blend in. Not to be cool, but so that more people will see me. And therefore be less likely to run my big ass over.

But in spite of all that, I was not able to control the actions of the other driver. I did not even have time to look back to see what was coming before I got hit. "I never saw you" what the hell else con we do to make ourselves more conpicuous?

Greg is also right about it takes two to create an accident. I have learned that you need to be looking back as you stop, not just after you stop. I am blaming myslef for the accident. It is totally her fault. But in order to keep riding and to minimize the chance of this happening again, I have learned to be even more congnizant of what is going on behind me. Looking as I stop will become a prominent function of my riding in the future.

Yes all the steps I took did not help in this instance, but I would not change a thing because of this. But I did learn. And I did survive to ride another day.

I feel more lucky everyday.
  12. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    Conspicuity if horsepoo.

GO stealth. hide. Your job is to stay the hell out of their way. You cannot appeal a law of physics ticket. And when you KNOW you are hidden and you KNOW thay don't know you are there then your number 1 defense against a crash..your brain, is as engaged as possible then your 6th sense, rader, oh shit detector is on full alert.
  13. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    I must agree, we are the ones that must insure we don't get hit. I agree 100% Chop, but also think that the additonal visibility may result in at least one person seeing me and that makes it worth while.
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    In general, ratboy, I agree with you. I know I'm invisible and I ride like it. However, if you are going to be walking across a busy street at night, it's probably a better idea to wear light clothes and reflectors than it is to wear all black. On the opening day of hunting season, it's wise to wear bright orange cap and vest rather than just camo...it just might increase your odds of surviving.
  15. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    your examples suck and I am not convinced. You won't get hit by a car if you are paying attention. Do you read books when you cross streets or what? I don't hunt in the east so I have no idea what hunting in a crowded parking lot is like. Wearing an orage vest in the bush of alaska or montana is about as smart as wearing conspicuity vests (retard trinagles whatever) on the Trans-America trail. SHort of actually slapping drivers in the face, you are not going to make them aware of you as another vehicle. Even if they DO notice you, they're tiny lizard brain says "too small to hurt" in a tiny nanosecond and you are still invisible.

Not conviced. keep trying.
  16. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    come on Scrat, it's about keeping honest people honest. I believe there are more sober drivers than drunk drivers, and I also believe there are more drivers that would not like to see me dead than ones who are out to kill me.I'd like for those people to see me.

It's like a disk lock on a 996R...it'll keep the honest people honest, but if someone really wants to take it, they will.

this is a bit of a religious discussion, and i'm not a religious man, so wtf?
  17. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    LCB?
  18. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Lauren C. Bish, I think.

Or loosely coupled barnacles :confused
  19. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    You want to keep someone off your ass...

Attached Files:

20. Ken

Ken Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chopperman wants to get hit anyhow... he is one of "those" who thinks getting hit by a car is like winning the lottery. Insurance money :drums