Artillery Impact Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Nightstalker, Jun 11, 2006.

1. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    Just put a new clutch in my nine-fifty yesterday and wanted to do an easy ride to test it out before the Seven Mountains Dual Sport next week. Called my buddy MAKMan to see if he was interested in towing me home, I mean riding along with me.

The plan, meet at WaWa a few blocks from my place for gas, and then head West. My clutch lever was completely useless after getting gas, so I returned to my garage and pushed some new hydrolic clutch fluid up the line (lots of bubbles), now I'm good to go (I hope). The MAK took this opportunity to add some much needed air to his front tire, now he too is good to go.

Not2Fast had told me that there was some good riding at Fort Indiantown Gap, so that became destination 1 on our list of places to go.

On the way, you can't pass a dirt road without seeing where it goes.
    [​IMG]

Everyone loves cows! GOT MILK?
    [​IMG]

The MAKMan.
    [​IMG]
  2. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Just making sure the new clutch is working.
    [​IMG]

MAKMan on a cool bridge.
    [​IMG]

Enter, Fort Indiantown Gap, a National Guard Training Center located in Lebanon County in Central Pennsylvania.
    [​IMG]

We were looking for Area 51. Only 31 more to go.
    [​IMG]
  3. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We passed this road with one of those cool portable steel tank bridges (officially the MLC 70 LEGUAN bridge). We turned onto the road, which was guarded! That bastard wouldn't let us pass. Give a guy some camo and a gun and he thinks he rules the world.

File photo:
    [​IMG]

Moving right along... We've made it to area B12.
    [​IMG]

Hmmm... I dunno, is a KTM or a BMW considered "Tactical"?
    [​IMG]

I guess we're not going this way.
    [​IMG]
  4. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    So, we've found our way to the top of the mountain. This is, however, the end of the road.
    [​IMG]

The view of the target zone.
    [​IMG]

Damn, foiled again!
    [​IMG]
  5. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    OK, time for some new scenery. A stop at the Appalachian trail near the Susquehanna River.
    [​IMG]

The view from the trail.
    [​IMG]

A couple of pictures from Swamp Road. Some fancy bastard put a gate in the road, a ways back, making it an in-and-out run.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Next stop, Weiser State Forest, Haldeman District. You know how the song goes, "Over the river and through the woods to Uncle Robert's house we go..." As always, check with a Ranger to verify what roads/trails are open for motorcycle use.
    [​IMG]

Delightful riding!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice job as always Nightstalker:clap :clap
    Btw how many miles did you have on your KTM when the clutch went?

Thanks
    Jack
  8. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    We stop for a minute and this bastard is trying to steal my bike!!
    [​IMG]

I chased one of his buddies into the woods. That pussy screamed like a girl. He was pretty damn fast too.
    [​IMG]

I caught the perp cold. He tried to hypnotize me with his death stare. The force is strong with this one. I have no memory of what happened next. I woke in a seedy motel room in a tub full of ice and a scar on my back, no, that was a different ride.
    [​IMG]
  9. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Can you belive that we stopped for food and I left my camera on the bike and failed to take a single picture of our beautiful young waitress and some nice thick pizza. I did manage this shot, Jo Jo's is worth a visit.
    [​IMG]

We popped in to see Uncle Robert. I didn't snap a picture of him, but I did capture his nemisis with digital film. Really, it's not just a load of bull.
    [​IMG]

Finished off the day just hammering home. Great weather, great ride.
  10. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I tagged along. Didn't think we were going to get too far when the clutch wouldn't disengage right off the start. 1.8 miles in I thought the ride was over. Actually, a simple bleed of the clutch removed the air in the line and we were good to go.

We were all over the place yesterday. Definitely a good ride with fantastic weather. That's what Sunday's were made for.

You guys have a good run at 7 Mountains next weekend!
  11. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Good Stuff. :thumb
  12. Hakatan

Hakatan quality > quantity

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks for taking us along
  13. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good work on the recon run, but you missed the dirt road that leads to the hawk watch area, from there you can ride a bit more unimproved road until you get to the gate at Stoney Creek State Game Lands.

Back in the mid-1970's there used to be an enduro held on Indiantown Gap Property. Heck of a course, lots of rocks and off camber trails. I rode the event about three times until the Army finally got tired of giving permission to the club and they had to move its location. The start of the run was up by the Moonshine Church (yes, real name of church) you passed during your ride.

On the enduro entry form they made freqeunt references to NOT pick up any artillery shells that might be on the trails. Like you would have to tell me twice. :huh

Terry
  14. 1stiski

1stiski Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the stop by TZ and AK. Good to see someone was having fun that day !!!
  15. matey peeps

matey peeps Bead Buddy

Oddometer:
    I grew up to stories of my dad riding his Honda CL on the tank trails at Indiantown Gap. He'll be interested to see this.
    :clap
  16. MakMan

MakMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    C'mon, that barn painting looked to be much more fun. Then when you throw in the snorting bull who looked ready to charge at a moments notice and you have all the fixin's for quite the enjoyable afternoon.

I guess when you're on call disappearing for nearly 8 hours on a motorcycle isn't really in the cards. Hopefully you guys have a good time at the enduro this coming weekend.
  17. yogesh

yogesh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap nice photos and even better commentary :D