Asian Egghead doing a Spring Roll in an African Bowl

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ExodusRider, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Its that time of year, the flowers are blooming, the bees are humming and the wheels are spinning.

Just made it to Spain to pick up Amelia in Corcubion on the West coast. She has been garaged this past year after an unforgettable ride to North Korea and Iran.

Gonna do a quick 3 weeks ride thru Portugal, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, and ferry her to Italy or Greece for her next storage destination.

Doesn't seem long enough, unfortunately, still on a working schedule..but we must all take what we can get whenever, wherever!!
    GF-kam, DC950, powderzone and 7 others like this.
  2. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Off to a great start.
    So flight from Houston to New Jersey @ 11am got me there around 4pm after a layover ($100) then to 7hrs flight to Barcelona on red eye puts me in Spain around noon ($169).

Once in Barcelona, I needed to fly west 2 hrs to Santiago De Compostela and then a 3hr bus ride to Corcubion off the west coast.

Instead of waiting til Friday morning to take my scheduled flight, I took a Wednesday night flight to gain 2 days to work on the bike.

And guess who I run into on the last flight to Santiago that night ??

No other than my buddy Fran who owns the hotel where the bike is currently parked. What ARE the odds of that!!

We go have drinks with a fellow inmate Navel (Pablo) and enjoy a cool evening before making that hour drive to the coast.

So not only did I not have to ride that slowww ass bus, got to hang out with these great guys!!
    20190313_221824.jpeg
    "Fran, Pablo, and Egghead"

Madam luck visting once again!!

Kewl Texas style bike in Barcelona Airport.

20190313_151909.jpeg 20190313_151848.jpeg 20190313_151857.jpeg
    Dirtleg, Rudy, BillUA and 4 others like this.
  3. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    No cigars yet.
    Unfortunately, after replacing with new battery, Amelia is not starting. She is cranking but not turning over. I have that same problem with girls alot. They always get "cranky" when I want them to turn over !

Gonna drain the tank, add new fuel and check to make sure fuel pump is priming and filter clear. Any other suggestions ?

In the mean time, house cleaning time..
    If you guys are passing thru Corcubion, please visit /stay with Fran at Hotel Quenxe, hella of a fella !!

Hotel has a great view of the cove.. 20190314_131047.jpeg 20190314_102842.jpeg 20190314_110428.jpeg 20190314_102823.jpeg 20190314_102829.jpeg
    orv, BillUA, NaMi and 6 others like this.
  4. edgeoftheworld

edgeoftheworld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I'm in. So looking forward to this RR!
  5. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spine-ing wheels thunderous booms from flowers hell ya we starting with a bang!
  6. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Alright!! EggheadRider on Exodus...

Gonna take Amelia to Amelia, Italy?
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    is serendipity your middle name?
    ExodusRider likes this.
  8. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    The adventure has already began!
    And I haven't even left the garage yet.

Fran dropped me off at the hotel after buying a battery, He had to go to work so I was stuck at the hotel by myself.

I cranked the bike until battery went weak, It would appear brute force wasn't going to get the bike started, clearing out any gunk or loosen up the fuel pump.

Time for a little finese. Even though the mechanic at the shop didnt think the gas would be too old enough, I still suspected it was bad gas.

Now the gas station is 1.5 miles away; no matter, it's a nice day and the scenery is nice.

20190314_160133.jpeg
    20190314_160052.jpeg

But 1st, quick lunch at Saint Martin's.

A dozen of chipirones (grilled baby squid) for 9.5 euros, So much better than Venice's 1 baby squid for 4 1/2 euros...they sho raped me with that one.

Man, i sure miss.this..

20190314_144225.jpeg
    20190314_144229.jpeg
    20190314_145118.jpeg

I get to the gas station and its €1.25 per liter. That equates to over $5 a gallon, Good God!!

At this point I'm exhausted from walking so I ask a fellow driver if he was heading my direction, and he gave me a ride back to the restaurant by hotel. Another .5 miles to go but I walk along beach to enjoy day.

20190314_164609.jpeg

But these hermit crabs are shitting all over it, ruining the scenic landscape.

20190314_164933.jpeg
    20190314_164929.jpeg

20190314_160112.jpeg
    Saso, BillUA, knight and 4 others like this.
  9. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    How about another stroll shall we?

I get back to the bike, tried starting the bike again but no cigar.

I'm debating to either take the crash bars and fairing off to get to the injectors, check the spark plugs and maybe cleaned injectors OR... dump the Gas and check the fuel pump?

I post for some help on the ADV forum and within 20 minutes, get back some extremely great advice. I decide to go with the fuel pump route since it was quickest solution to check.

Getting to the injectors is such a pain in the ass. On the BMW f800, the fuel pump is actually under the seat, access pretty easy.

So I thought!

For the life of me, I could not disconnect the fuel line from the fuel cover assembly; didn't want to risk breaking any plastic attachment points or the fuel line clamp, so lets take off the torque screws right ???

Only thing though, the smallest torque wrench I had was T20, this looks to be T10 or T15. Dang it, back into town I go.

The Spanish word for hardware store is Ferreteria..which I would have guess is where one goes to buy furry creatures..

Screenshot_20190315-015258_Maps.jpeg

I stop by market after and saw this that really made my day for some reason. Little.wins to keep me going I guess..

20190314_184358.jpeg

15lb for 3 euro???? Whaaaa wahhh what?? Orange u glad ?? I'll be eating these bitches for days.

Anyhow, I get back and its starting to get dark.

Have a spare fuel pump and got this idea that I could use that spare fuel pump to siphon out the gas.

That would have been cool but the tubings I bought was not tight enough to create a vacuum for the fuel to come out, so I had to manually do it with my mouth.

Great, now Im burping and passing bad gas all night long!

20190314_201450.jpeg

Luckily, the fuel opening and height made it easy to siphon out 95% of the fuel, you could actually see the botton of the tank.

I emptied the tank, connected the fuel pump electrical terminals to the battery for a few seconds and it spun up nicely, alternated polarity to have pump blow out the other direction.

20190314_201445.jpeg

I did this twice on both directions to ensure that the pump was well-worked-out.

Reinstalled the pump assembly, poured in 2 gallons of 95 gas, and my baby started up instantly, purring like a cat in heat..

20190314_202903.jpeg

It was the most romantic thing I ever saw. By this time, it was late. The moon was dancing on the water surface and the cool air made your skin tingle. Hearing Amelia roar out with her siren calls sent goose bumps down my adventure boots. True love can never be wrong..

20190314_201454.jpeg
    20190314_201519.jpeg
    Blackfin31, orv, Saso and 13 others like this.
  10. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Title confused me but I am in!
  11. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Sorry for lame title. Im an asian dude with an egg head, its spring time now, lets ride / roll.. spring roll is also a favorite vietnamese dish.. and riding to Africa.. and bowl.. well .. how about bowl of what the pho ? Ha..
    TOTim, BillUA, Dessert Storm and 6 others like this.
  12. 08StangGT_CS

08StangGT_CS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's all good. I am a Mexican guy with a big round head that has a house in San Antonio that is employed in Houston but works in China, or something like that.
    DC950, Dessert Storm, elron and 2 others like this.
  13. mbanzi

mbanzi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Love it!
  14. TropicalDale

TropicalDale The Adventures of Peter Pan

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the title is great.....:lol3

vamos moses.
  16. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love me some Algerian ride reports. How are you entering? I was understanding last all the land borders with Morocco where still closed to foreigners. Sounds like you might have to come back up out of Africa and take a ferry to Algers or something of the like.

Always a good thing to get your bike up and running. Woohoo!
  17. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    True, have to exit Morocco, fair back to Spain, then another ferry to Algerian... why make it easy on us ?? Lol
  18. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Utter nonsense. They're neighbours FFS. :fpalm
  19. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are indeed.....but the land border is closed as Throttlemeister alludes to.

The thread title got me, I'm in.
  20. ExodusRider

ExodusRider ExodusRider

Oddometer:
    Updates:

It's 9:00pm and I just made it to southern Spain.. only 200 miles / 3 hrs from Algrecia near the tip where I will jump over to Morocco..

Will update when I get to hotel, but first. A word from our sponsor..

"Hola, me llamo Jesus SuperStar..
    And I, I APPROVE this ride !!"

20190316_114933.jpeg
    NSFW, Blackfin31, Saso and 8 others like this.